Donald Sutherland is dead..

Pondoro

AH legend
Joined
Dec 3, 2014
Messages
2,221
Reaction score
5,404
Media
109
Articles
2
Member of
Reserve officer, masonic order, etc.
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa
For me as an ex-tanker...he is immortalized as Oddball..and them negative waves.. :giggle:

R.I.P.
 
He could play the good guy or bad guy equally well and it made no difference which one he played, per a tweet from his son announcing his passing.

M.A.S.H. 1970 is the most memorable, for me. Different times for sure.
 
Bear Island is one favoured of mine that he played in . It’s on YT.
 
Such a loss. He played a remorseless killer-spy in Eye of the Needle. Great stuff.
 
One of my favorite actors.

Some of his best roles were in the seventies. From then my list would include MASH, Don't LooK Now (with Julie Christie), Animal House, Eye of the Needle, The Eagle has Landed (with a brilliant performance by Michael Caine), and the cult horror classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers. 1980's Ordinary people is also a classic. He could still bring it in Fool's Gold in 2008.

The ending of Body Snatchers - they then did silent credits. Creepiest ever.

 
Oddball character was a classic and my favorite. I had a high school basketball coach that looked and at times, acted like Oddball.
 
Wasn't he in lock step with Hanoi Jane? Anti American?
 
Wasn't he in lock step with Hanoi Jane? Anti American?
He was an outspoken critic of the war. I don't recall him taking it as far as Jane Fonda, but maybe he did. One thing I think it’s important to note…he was Canadian and never sought US citizenship. So, he may have held opinions that I don’t agree with, but he wasn’t a traitor. His nation stayed out of SE Asia.
 
Night of the locust and Jesus from Johnny got his gun. Interesting roles
 
I was looking for something to watch last night and clicked on Miranda's Victim. I think it was more because of Donald Sutherland in the cast than the subject matter.
His portrayal of the judge was phenomenal!
RIP
 
An absolutely great actor.


R.I.P.
 
My favorites were M*A*S*H, Kelly's Heroes, and The Dirty Dozen.

A Great actor.

My Deepest Condolences to his family and friends.

May he Rest In Peace.
 
I wanted to be Oddball as a kid. So much so, that even though I couldn't afford a real Luger like he carried (especially the scene when they confronted the Tiger tank), my dad bought me a Ruger Mark II for my 10th birthday. Still have it.


And he did an absolutely top job of reading Hemingway's Old man and the Sea. One of the most sympathetic and spot-on narrations I've ever heard. Brilliant.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,242
Messages
1,569,387
Members
168,668
Latest member
KatrinaSan
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top