Does Ethiopian Airlines weigh carry on bags?

Kurt Swanson

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
I'll be flying Ethiopian Airlines from Dulles to Windhoek via Addis Ababa on June 25 and I'm concerned about the weight of our carry on bags. Does anyone know if they weigh carry on bags when you check in or if they come around at the gate? That's happened to us before with SAA and it wasn't good.

As of 10 am this morning. No.

They do weigh check baggage and are a bit strict. You can put your ammo (that is locked seperately) in your check baggage as well.

They did weigh my carry on bags when flying from London to Johannesburg via Addis a few weeks ago.

I've read that they always weigh them at Heathrow, but couldn't find anything about Dulles.

What about a personal item? Their official policy allow a second item of 5kg max:
  • A lady handbag, pocket book or purse, which is appropriate to normal traveling
    dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles,
    which would otherwise be regarded as baggage.
  • Laptop
  • An overcoat, wrap or blanket.
  • A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars.
  • A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight.
  • Infant’s food for consumption in flight.
  • Infant’s carrying basket.
  • Duty Free Items
If I take that literally I would have to carry my binoculars on my lap! Do they allow you to carry these sorts of things in a small backpack?

If I take that literally I would have to carry my binoculars on my lap! Do they allow you to carry these sorts of things in a small backpack?

Just hang them around your neck and if they ask about them just say that they are a part of your everyday jewellery items that you put on.

I’m in Namibia now. On June 15th from Dulles they did not weight any of our carry on bags. I did observe the agent weigh one person’s carry on in front of us (but it was large).
The flight and the rifle transfer in Addis went very smoothly. Our plane was a bit late arriving to Addis, so the rifle transfer was done at a brisk pace. (We we’re inside of the terminal for less than 10 minutes!) All items arrived, they were a great airline.

Dulles did not weigh on Ethiopian flights I took in mid-May 2021. I would not worry. I bet mine weighed 30-40lbs.

I’m with @LivingTheDream. We’re sitting in Addis right now. No weighing of carry on here that I’ve seen. I’m carrying a fanny pack with Binoculars and rangefinder along with a few other items in it. Nobody looked twice.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fox1

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt