Do you remember when…

franzfmdavis

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
You could get 1000 large rifle primers for $4.00?

Attachments

• IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 24
I can only remember $13……and then for a while I was super happy you could 5k fed match for $200ish. I wish I had bought a few more cases…sold them on gunbroker and gone on a month long safari

You could get 1000 large rifle primers for $4.00?

Guess I'm not that old after all.
IIRC when I started reloading paying around $1.00+ per hundred primers, $7.00+/- per pound of IMR3031 powder, and $4.00+/- per hundred 150 grain 30-30 round nose soft point bullets. And paid around $6.00 for a Lee 30-30 hand reloading kit that came in a small cardboard box; mallet sold separately. At the time 30 - 30 ammo was around $4 - $5 per 20 count box. Making reloading a money saving hobby; providing one didn't include personal labor at $2.25 per hour (minimum wage) civilian pay.

I remember $15--there is also a good chance I wasn't paying much attention before that. Things were once so cheap you didn't HAVE to pay attention, which was good because many of us were too poor to pay attention. Sometimes folks practically gave stuff away at garage sales.
People today would beat my door down if I offered to sell components for what I paid for them or even what was marked on the box. Today I walk about in a state of total sticker-shock.

Last edited:
Why stop a "Do you remember when" thread with just primers....
Anyone remember when you could hunt just by knocking on the door and asking?

Sometimes just mentioning hunting would get an invitation to come and shoot varmints, ie groundhogs. Come fall the farmer often extended the invitation to allow rabbit, squirrel, .....and ' if you see a fox shoot it!!..' hunting. Farmers, especially chicken farmers, wanted us to shoot anything and everything no matter the time of year, in or out of season, to protect his/her chickens and their eggs.

I remember when stores not only HAD powder and primers but actually had a selection of them!

Those days are gone. Now you use what you can find, if you can find something useable.

Cartons of 550 .22LR for $9.99
500 count bricks of .22 Short, long, and long rifle for $5.00 including tax. And the purchaser was suppose to sign in the block on a page in a 1 inch 3 ring binder (small town, mom and pop hardware store) that the buyer were 18 or 21 years old. Legal age respectively to purchase rifle or handgun ammo.

I remember when Copenhagen was .35/can then I got married and couldn't hardly afford primers or Copenhagen.

I remember when you could hunt waterfowl with lead shot.
you mean I can't shoot waterfowl with lead, when did that happen?

I remember when you could hunt waterfowl with lead shot.

What waterfowl. The only waterfowl we had were the ducklings we got at Easter (supposedly as pets) and ate at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

you mean I can't shoot waterfowl with lead, when did that happen?

I was shootin' at a square'l up in the top of that tree when that ________(duck, goose) flew over.

But it was an accident. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:cool::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittnyWan

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.