Do you need a licensed PH to bow hunt?

bruceb

AH member
Joined
Aug 16, 2022
Messages
20
Reaction score
9
I have been told by one outfitter that even as an international hunter you don't need a PH while bow hunting. This outfitter has CAE properties in limpopo.
Is this true?
 
The law states that an international non-resident hunter must be accompanied by a licensed PH, and hunting with a registered outfitter. That being said, the interpretation of what "accompanied" means can be pretty loose with some outfitters an PHs. I am aware of many instances where the hunter was dropped off by the PH to hunt alone. With no real presence of the law in existence in the bush on private land, it's nearly impossible to enforce. It probably happens a lot.

Regardless of the legalities, there are many good reasons why a PH should accompany any hunter into the bush with safety being paramount. Secondly, any hunter who is not familiar with African game will find it very difficult, if not impossible to properly judge the animals for age and trophy quality. It is for that reason alone that most any reputable PH or outfitter would insist on being with the hunter to make those judgements. Unless you are very familiar with the properties, the predators, and the game animals, I personally do not recommend hunting by yourself in Africa even if it is permitted by the PH/Outfitter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LIMPOPO ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ACT 2003, ACT 7 OF 2003

“client” means any person who is not normally resident in the Republic, who pays or rewards any other person for or in connection with the hunting of a wild or alien animal;

CHAPTER 5 PROFESSIONAL HUNTING
Professional hunters, hunting-outfitters, directors of professional hunting schools and taxidermists

Hunting of wild and alien animals by clients
50. (1) A client may hunt a wild or alien animal only –
  1. (a) if the hunt has been organised by a hunting-outfitter; and
  2. (b) under the supervision of a professional hunter.

https://www.sahunters.co.za/images/attach/conservation/provlegislation/Limpopo Ordinance.pdf
 

Attachments

As Dan noted there are plenty of instances where a hunter is dropped off at a blind and left on their own. A more experienced hunter with trophy judging skills, etc., able to keep in comms at all times with the PH by radio or phone, ok.
I personally have sat in a blind in complete solitude for 12 hours enjoying taking pictures and waiting to use my bow ....

Would I suggest it for a rookie. No.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,415
Messages
1,575,578
Members
170,360
Latest member
ChastityFi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top