1Birddog!

Bronze supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Safari Club, Wildlife Committee of Washington
I’m planning my African flights. I will have two rifles and two suppressors. My flight has a two hour layover in Atlanta before flying to South Africa. What will I need to do in Atlanta regarding the firearms and is two hours long enough?

If all your flights are Delta, you won't touch your bags/rifle case in ATL. Everything is checked through to JNB. Suggest you put AirTags in your baggage. Use a service like Rifle Permits. You do all the paperwork ahead of time (SAPS form is very long!). Have your US CBP form 4457 done ahead of time. Put photo copies in the gun case and have a few extra copies with you.

Two hour connection in ATL should be okay, but it's about the minimum. Look at what earlier flights are available. A 4-5 hour wait in ATL isn't bad. If it's longer than that, stick with the 2 hour connecting flight.

I’m planning my African flights. I will have two rifles and two suppressors. My flight has a two hour layover in Atlanta before flying to South Africa. What will I need to do in Atlanta regarding the firearms and is two hours long enough?

I'm not sure how the suppressors come into play, or even if at all. If you're starting on Delta at some other airport besides Atlanta, you will check your firearms there. You won't see them again until you arrive in Johannesburg. There's nothing extra to do in Atlanta on your way out. 2 hours should be fine provided your first flight departs on time.

On your way back, you'll collect all of your luggage including firearms when you arrive in Atlanta. Regular luggage is collected at the carousels. Firearms are collected along with review of paperwork at a room off to one side of the area with the carousels. It's in a corner and enclosed in glass, not hard to find.

After getting your firearms cleared in this room, you'll move out of this area to recheck all of your luggage and firearms for connecting flight.

Maintain a Copy of your SAPS permit for your return trip home. Very important…

When you come back through ATL, they will check your rifle and also your hunting boots. They dip them in some sort of cleaner/disinfectant/pesticide/COVID/heart break of psoriasis solution.

last year they only sprayed my boots(did they change to dipping this year?) also I make sure I have my tax stamp for each suppressor and my bill of sale, I have never had an issue with it. when you go into the room I would have your paper work ready, we did that and they were very impressed and sent us out quick, make sure to put your suppressors on your 4457 with you rifles, now sweat going thru Atlanta. I wish I had only a 2 hour layover instead of 13 hours. have fun and get your permit preapproved with Henry with Rifle Permits very little to fill out (I just did mine this morning) and Henry will email you all the info and a sample permit to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaatee

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.