Dangerous Game Revolver Bullet, A Forgotten Design

Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
SA, USA, Fiji
When I decided to take a cape buffalo with my revolver there was only two types of dangerous game bullets available; monolithic solid copper or hard cast wide flat nose (WFN). The problem with the monolithic solid is the density of copper is about 15% less than lead and copper has greater barrel friction than lead. This results in a lighter projectile and/or lower velocity than lead bullets, meaning less momentum and less penetration. Unfortunately, hard cast lead bullets can deform or break when hitting heavy bone and interrupt their straight line penetration. In the 1930's Winchester solved this problem with their “metal piercing” pistol rounds; a lead bullet with a metal jacket only on the nose. My homemade version of this 90 year old design consists of a hard cast Keith wad-cutter bullet with a WFN 0.050” thick brass cup pressed on the nose. The bullet has a 0.425” (94%) meplat. Out of my 7 1/2” FA83 454 Casull the 347gr bullet obtains 1570fps and 1900 ft-lbs.

CK compressed.jpg

Dinkwe Safaris put me on this buffalo cow that I took with one shot at 86 yards.

Buf Compressed.jpg

The bullet was traveling about 1305 fps with 1312 ft-lbs of energy when it hit. The projectile traveled straight through a good portion of the brisket, went through the bottom of the heart and was lost somewhere in the body cavity.
Heart compressed.jpg
Brisket compressed.jpg

The lung were perforated by secondary projectiles (brisket bone fragments). The cow traveled 30 yards, collapsed and commenced her death bellow. The recovered bullet was from the insurance shot on the deceased animal which penetrated the spine, went through the stomach and was found against the underside skin.
The bullet lost 16 grains of weight (gas check, lube and surface lead).

Fired bullet compressed.JPG

I used the same round on a large male ostrich challenging me from 50 yards (as I had interrupted him and his lady friend). The large flat nose bullet grazed the heart, destroyed the lungs and opened up the gizzard before exiting. The ostrich stumbled and fell after less than 100 feet.
Ostrich compressed.jpg

Both the nyala's shoulders were broken and the heart grazed at 25 yards putting the rutting bull down on the spot. A second finishing shot at 50 feet hit high in the lungs striking both shoulders again. At the shot, the nyala jumped to his feet and charged. Luckily his shoulders gave out from under him and I finished the old boy at 25 feet with a third shot.

Nyala compressed.jpg

It is a bit of work making these bullets from scratch but I couldn't be happier with the results. From the trajectory they seem to have a 0.19-0.20 BC and shoot more accurately than the plain lead bullets. There are not many of us taking dangerous game with the revolver and I hope this forgotten bullet design may serve others as well!

Good job. I have a vague recollection of seeing something written about such a bullet, possibly with a photograph or two but it is nice to see a comprehensive account of your experiences.

Nice looking bullet, bet it hits em hard, well done !

Congratulations on your hunt and your work on developing the bullet. Obviously a lot of work went into both. There are a few commercial variations with a similar concept.
The Punch bullet consists of monolithic brass bullet which is hollowed out from the rear and a lead core inserted. I think these are only available as loaded ammo.
The Barnes Buster should have been of this concept except that some *^# decided to use too small a meplat.

I have been thinking about experimenting with a Barnes 250g XPB and bonding a lead core into the hollow point. My guestimation is that this should give a projectile weight of around 300g with a center of gravity in front of the center of mass. At the end of the day, availability means I'll probably just use either Sierra 300g JSP which are hard enough to act like WFN at Casull velocities or 300g Swift A-Frames.

I wasn‘t familiar with the punch bullet. It looks like a good design but they are no longer made unfortunately. I agree, the buster would be a much better bullet with a larger meplat. What about the 300XTPM loaded backwards? The case may have to be shortened to line up with the cannelure.

I wasn't aware that punch bullets had been discontinued which is a pity as they were a great idea. Both CEB and Leigh Defence offer a 300g 45 cal solid however I suspect that the extra length of the copper projectile will leave insufficient room for a good powder charge.

You have an excellent bullet for deep straight penetration with big permanent wound channel, I'll bet! Good Job!!

( I don't know why the Keith bullet bullet ever fell off the popularity radar. He was ahead of his time with the design.)

I am now a CEB #13 Solid fan for killing buffalo, similar in many ways. It really hammers them. Similar to your design.

I have killed cape buffalo with cast bullets, 22 BHN and non shattering. They look like your bullet. ( I forget my formula.) 700 gr, 577 NE at about 1650 fps. 20-30 steps and down. Very little expansion or weight loss.

Also, Good Shooting! Iron sight - well done !

Well, it would take side-arm "insurance" to an adequate level!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KariDaviso

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?