AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Good day all and all the best for 2017.
Now that 2017 is upon us I have made the decision to head to Africa on a Dangerous Game Safari. That being said I thought I should take advantage of the collective knowledge base here on AH and ask some preliminary questions.I am not a first timer to hunting in Africa as I have been on two successful plains game safaris in South Africa, however I have a few questions to help me get started in the right direction:
1) First of all I am undecided about whether I want to go for Cape Buffalo or Lion. Opinions on what you think would be best for a DG newbie?
2) Does SA have free range buffalo and lion?
3) What other countries in Africa should I be considering for DG?
4) I have not made a decision on an outfitter as of yet although my last outfitter does do free range DG.
5) I will be in Vegas for the SCI conference so I am open to meeting with outfitters and our hunters who have been there, done that to discuss.
Any help would be much appreciated.

1) Buff is by far the least costly DG hunt (unless you get a deal on a lion with the US import ban in effect) and a damned exciting hunt.
2) Depends on what you call free range. Virtually everything in SA is fenced. Some of these are large properties and some small. It is important to do your homework. I have not taken a lion, but I took a buffalo in SA in 2015. My hunt was on a very large National Park (100,000 acres). Some areas are as small as 1,000-2,000 acres. There are tribal concessions that are open to the Kruger Park. Again, decide what is important to you and what kind of a hunt you want.
3) Other countries I would consider are Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania. TZ is likely the most expensive. All will be true free range hunts.
4) Lots of good outfitters on this site. I would discuss what you want with many of them. If you are looking at SA, just understand that everything is fenced.
5) SCI will be a good place to meet outfitters and talk through your wishes for your safari.

Either buff or lion would be an exciting hunt! My first DG was buffalo and the second was lion. If you are considering South Africa, take a look at @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris, they will be at SCI and are currently in the states and can certainly help you out.

I would say try buffalo first, certainly a great hunt

Reactions: cls
P.S., don't interpret my responses above to mean that fenced properties are necessarily bad. Done right the fence rarely or never comes into play and they are great experiences. As I said, I hunted my buff in SA on a very large property and was completely happy. I am now, however, headed to Zim for a different experience.

I would tell you to make plans to get with Pieter of Paw print Safaris when he is at the sci show. He is a great PH and gives a hunter the most he will get for his money. I had my son hunt a lioness but it was raised not a so called wild lion. It was still a great hunt but not sure if it is what your looking for or not. We did it because we knew the ban was coming on getting them out.

The few wild lions in SA cost big dollars and as of now can not come back in to the states if that matters to you. A free range buff hunt on one of the apnr is what I would say would be a great first dg hunt. There is some good deals in SA right now even for free range buff and not the hassle of going to zim or any of the other countries. The same buff you will hunt in the apnr in SA could have been in Moz or zim at sometime in it life as the parks are open to those countries.

Now Sa may not be as remote as some like but an equal as good hunt when it comes down to the hunting part of it. The big 5 are roaming freely in these areas as well. I think a big question is what you want to spend to do the trip as some countries cost way more then others. Then you have ease of getting in to areas and getting your stuff back home. The fees some of the countries are charging is out of hand I think. I would weigh that all in to my choice. I am doing plains game one more trip but when I do buff it will be with Pieter in SA. Why because I trust him with my life and he treats people right. No matter the place you pick or the company make sure to ask them for all the nickel and dimes fees that seem to come up on some of the dg hunts. gun permits, ammo duty, travel fees to get to area and many more.

Good luck with your search and I will be looking forward to seeing what you get to go after.

You can hunt a free range buff in Zim or Moz for about the same overall costs of shooting one behind a fence in the RSA. The daily rate in the RSA will be less, but the trophy fee is significant. Daily fees will be more expensive in a wilderness hunt, but the trophy fee will be less. Given costs as more or less a wash, it is no contest for me. I much prefer a free-range experience. And I fully acknowledge there are some huge properties in the RSA - there are also some tiny ones which do stock and shoot "hunting" of buff so use due diligence if you decide on the RSA. Lion is not really an option for me. I have no desire to hunt a captive bred animal, and Tanzania was more than I was willing to spend when I could use the same investment on two or three buffalo (I really enjoy hunting buff).

And am I going crazy or is this a thread from a week or so ago that somehow lost all replies?

I'm old and forgetful, but thought I'd seen this before?

It's not the first,nor the last thread of its kinds where @Royal27 , @Velo Dog or @Red Leg offer some sage advice!

In summary: all things being equal and costs the same, hunt animals that have never lived within 100 miles of a fence post!

And am I going crazy or is this a thread from a week or so ago that somehow lost all replies?

I'm old and forgetful, but thought I'd seen this before?
Yah I had posted this one much earlier but had no response so reworded and reposted. Didn't know how to delete this one. Sorry about that.

While Tanzania is expensive, from many I've spoken to that have hunted there, they say you haven't really experienced Africa until you've hunted Tanzania. I'll let you know in October! I'm as excited about the hunting history surrounding the Selous as I am actually hunting it!

As for species, it may not be a bad time to take a lion as who knows how long you'll be able to import them. I don't see a ban on cape buffalo happening anytime soon. Lions...you never know.

Good day all and all the best for 2017.
Now that 2017 is upon us I have made the decision to head to Africa on a Dangerous Game Safari. That being said I thought I should take advantage of the collective knowledge base here on AH and ask some preliminary questions.I am not a first timer to hunting in Africa as I have been on two successful plains game safaris in South Africa, however I have a few questions to help me get started in the right direction:
1) First of all I am undecided about whether I want to go for Cape Buffalo or Lion. Opinions on what you think would be best for a DG newbie?
2) Does SA have free range buffalo and lion?
3) What other countries in Africa should I be considering for DG?
4) I have not made a decision on an outfitter as of yet although my last outfitter does do free range DG.
5) I will be in Vegas for the SCI conference so I am open to meeting with outfitters and our hunters who have been there, done that to discuss.
Any help would be much appreciated.

1) Lion or Buff, it's really your choice. Kind of hard to say what's best for you. My first was a lioness this past October. Yes a captive bred lioness, but had been turned loose on 46,000 acres for sometime before I got to Serapa. An experience I will never forget. A totally unplanned portion of our hunt. But I do look forward however to chasing buffalo. I know that's a game I'd love to play.

2) Yes

3) Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique are the first that come to mind. Namibia has the Caprivi strip for DG and then there's Tanzania. These latter two options are quite pricy however.

4) I encourage you to talk to your previous outfitter and get his opinion to weigh against others.

5) Excellent that you'll be at SCI, I hope you'll join in on the AH get together. Please stop by the Serapa Safaris booth to say hello and we can also discuss your first DG hunt. What Serapa has to offer in RSA may not be what you'd like to do, but we work with other operators in Zim and Mozambique that we could have you check out too. We would certainly love to have you come to Serapa but not at the risk of having you leave without the experience you're looking for.

Look forware to seeing you in Vegas!

While Tanzania is expensive, from many I've spoken to that have hunted there, they say you haven't really experienced Africa until you've hunted Tanzania. I'll let you know in October! I'm as excited about the hunting history surrounding the Selous as I am actually hunting it!

As for species, it may not be a bad time to take a lion as who knows how long you'll be able to import them. I don't see a ban on cape buffalo happening anytime soon. Lions...you never know.
Thanks I'll watch for your report in October and good luck

1) Lion or Buff, it's really your choice. Kind of hard to say what's best for you. My first was a lioness this past October. Yes a captive bred lioness, but had been turned loose on 46,000 acres for sometime before I got to Serapa. An experience I will never forget. A totally unplanned portion of our hunt. But I do look forward however to chasing buffalo. I know that's a game I'd love to play.

2) Yes

3) Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique are the first that come to mind. Namibia has the Caprivi strip for DG and then there's Tanzania. These latter two options are quite pricy however.

4) I encourage you to talk to your previous outfitter and get his opinion to weigh against others.

5) Excellent that you'll be at SCI, I hope you'll join in on the AH get together. Please stop by the Serapa Safaris booth to say hello and we can also discuss your first DG hunt. What Serapa has to offer in RSA may not be what you'd like to do, but we work with other operators in Zim and Mozambique that we could have you check out too. We would certainly love to have you come to Serapa but not at the risk of having you leave without the experience you're looking for.

Look forware to seeing you in Vegas!
Thanks, I plan on dropping by the AH get together

Yah I had posted this one much earlier but had no response so reworded and reposted. Didn't know how to delete this one. Sorry about that.

Apology not needed. Just swore I'd seen before. :)

Too many of you are putting out misinformation in lion hunting. Please get your facts right before posting!
There is no lion ban. There is a tricky permitting process now in place. RSA just got their permits issued from USFWS for all but ranch lions. Other countries with good systems in place should get permits as soon as the new administration takes charge. Yes it's a problem but it is not a ban!
To answer your question you must have a budget in mind. A quality wild lion hunt now will likely cost you six figures versus a buffalo that could be $10-20K.
I wish you were he best in planning a great DG hunt!

Regards,
Philip

Talk to Marius from KMG safaris, he has access to some great unfenced areas in the APNR for buffalo!

Too many of you are putting out misinformation in lion hunting. Please get your facts right before posting!
There is no lion ban. There is a tricky permitting process now in place. RSA just got their permits issued from USFWS for all but ranch lions. Other countries with good systems in place should get permits as soon as the new administration takes charge. Yes it's a problem but it is not a ban!
To answer your question you must have a budget in mind. A quality wild lion hunt now will likely cost you six figures versus a buffalo that could be $10-20K.
I wish you were he best in planning a great DG hunt!

Regards,
Philip

Can you share were you seen the info on permits for Sa lions. Is it on the usfws site or some other place. That is great news that I missed seeing.

Even for ranch lion imports to the USA being blocked, non export lion hunts are in the market now as well for about half the price of a lioness hunt, on a big male, for experiencing the hunt still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilipMorg

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?