CZ550 vs Ruger Hawkeye African in 416?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
If you had the choice today, which would you go with?

I'm looking at both a new Ruger Hawkeye African in 416 Ruger and a used CZ550 in 416 Rigby.

Other than the different cartridges, the CZ is second hand, comes with two stocks (wood and synthetic) and a Luepold VX6 scope. It's a non AHR model.

However it costs over 2x the price of the new Ruger.

Thoughts?

Can the CZ 416 Rigby hold 4 in the magazine? I know 416 Ruger is only 3 and I hear the stocks are prone to cracking.
Ive heard some of the earlier 550s were prone to cracking stocks in the larger calibers, don't know if that included 416 Rigby or just the 458 Lott and 505 Gibbs.

Didn't know the newer Rugers also had the same issue.

You will have better ammo selection by staying with the 416 Rigby.

Ive heard some of the earlier 550s were prone to cracking stocks in the larger calibers, don't know if that included 416 Rigby or just the 458 Lott and 505 Gibbs.

Didn't know the newer Rugers also had the same issue.
I only am aware of this from other people's reports on them, mostly trustworthy reports...but a grain of salt can be taken with them haha. I thought about a Ruger African in 300 win mag, but may save up for a RUger Safari Express instead.

Of Ruger rifles, I like very much their Model #1 single shot, in common calibers.
And I somewhat like their now discontinued M77 Magnum in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott.

That leaves today’s other Ruger rifles, chambered in their newer cartridges, inspiring no more than a shrug and a yawn from me.
Those new versions of old calibers really don’t do anything significantly different or better than the original versions of, name your bore diameter.

Pictures attached below, Left to Right:
Upon reading about the new Ruger .416 cartridge, this fellow became very enthusiastic and went racing to the gun store to buy one.
This other chap has a .416 Rigby.

Attachments

• IMG_8819.png
    IMG_8819.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8807.png
    IMG_8807.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
I think the CZ is a better rifle but 2x the price ?? Most big bores are not shot much so maybe a second hand rifle shot 30 to 100 rounds is considered pretty much new but i cant get past that price. A CZ in 416 rigby hold 3 rounds in the mag.

Most, not all, of the CZ's will hold 4 down in the Rigby. If it only holds 3 you just need a mag box for the 375/458 from memory. I have seen 3 different mag box's used in these rifles.

I'd go with the CZ in 416 Rigby for the reasons given.

I think the CZ is a better rifle but 2x the price ?? Most big bores are not shot much so maybe a second hand rifle shot 30 to 100 rounds is considered pretty much new but i cant get past that price. A CZ in 416 rigby hold 3 rounds in the mag.
The CZ is $4,700 CDN but comes with two stocks and a Leupold VX6 scope. Only 20 rounds fired apparently.

The Ruger is new for about $1900.

Buy once, cry once. Of the 2 rifles you have mentioned the CZ gets my vote as well. That leupold scope on the CZ adds about $1,600 value to the setup, plus the additional stock is another few hundred dollars I’m sure. That CZ will serve you well all around the world no matter what you are hunting.

As njc110381 said the Ruger stocks are not that well designed to deal with felt recoil. I have a McMillian composite stock on my CZ416. Most of the good after market stocks worth over $500 and are tough.

The CZ's will go up in value more than the Ruger's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg