CZ 550 Safari Classics II 458 Lott

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
There is not a great deal of info out there about the Safari Classics II model, I think I have only seen one other thread on this specific model so I thought I'd share the info I have and the experience I have had with mine since buying it new in April. I have been spending a fair bit of time on the range with it getting ready for Africa in November.

The Safari Classics II model is basically an upgraded version of the standard Safari Classics model from CZ, list of upgrades below as stated in the book that came with it.
* Upgraded wood
* Glass bedded
* "kickstop" recoil reducer fitted from factory
* Jewelled bolt and magazine follower
* Bolt hand fitted to action
* DLC surface treatment on the barrelled action as well as bolt & magazine follower
* Stock available in a matte oiled finish or high gloss finish
* Comes in a alloy hard case

Available chamberings 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby & 458 Lott. The 375, 416 & 458 all have the CZ hammer forged barrels. The 300 H&H & 404 Jeffery have button rifled barrels fitted from Lother Walther.
I have been told that there was a total of only 100 rifles made across all the chamberings, not sure if that is true or not, be interested to hear if anyone else has anymore info on this? Mine is serial number SC00025 so I'm assuming number 25.

Mine is chambered in 458 Lott with the oiled matte finish, unbelievable fit and finish on this rifle could easily be considered a custom rifle. The bolt may just be the smoothest I have ever come across on a big calibre rifle and the feeding, extraction and ejection is absolutely perfect right out of the box. I have been doing a lot of offhand shooting with it cycling and firing through a full magazine to make sure it is 100% reliable before heading to Africa, I couldn't be happier with how the rifle functions and performs.
I have mounted a Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5-5 in a set of Talley rings, with the scope mounted it's coming in at close to 11lbs. So it's definitely not suited to someone who prefers rifles on the lighter end of the scale, personally I prefer heavier rifles so it doesn't bother me. Between the recoil reducer, the weight of the rifle and the nice recoil pad it is quite comfortable to shoot even with heavy loads. I have worked up a load with 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs averaging 2172fps from the 25" barrel.

The only negative for me is the 25" barrel, I always prefer shorter barrels. Having said that, the positive of the longer barrel is obvious in being able to achieve higher velocities with the big heavy for calibre 550 grain Woodleighs. Below is a 5 shot group into 0.9" at 65 yards with the 550 grain Woodleighs, more than happy with the accuracy.

This CZ has very quickly become one of my all time favourite big bores, below link to a quick video of the rifle when I finished a range session a couple of weeks ago.

1720327232683.jpeg

Beautiful rifle mate. Where’d you find it new? Haven’t seen them listed in Aus.
I bought a Safari Classic 458 Lott new couple of years ago and have taken a Cape Buff with it. What’s on the menu when you go to Africa?

Beautiful rifle mate. Where’d you find it new? Haven’t seen them listed in Aus.
I bought a Safari Classic 458 Lott new couple of years ago and have taken a Cape Buff with it. What’s on the menu when you go to Africa?
Claytons is selling them, I think they have one left in 458 and one left in 404.

Double buff hunt in the BVC and hopefully a couple of warthogs as well.

Congrats @Aussie_Hunter - that one is a beauty for sure!!! I have one in 404J and would echo everything you have said. It feeds like a dream, is extremely well balanced, even with the 25" barrel and the trigger is as crisp as any I own. Like you, I believe it is about as close to a custom rifle as you can get, without actually being one. I had never heard there were only 100 made, but that makes sense because I'm pretty sure mine is in the 60's. I'll pull it out later to confirm S/N and will share share some pics as well. It's kind of funny, I didn't even know it had that buffalo on the bottom when I bought it, so that was cool and the custom aluminum case was a nice surprise as well. One would be hard pressed to find a big bore that shoots like yours, so that rifle was made to hunt and will only be complete when it has a little bit of African game blood and red dirt on it! Well done Sir!

There is not a great deal of info out there about the Safari Classics II model, I think I have only seen one other thread on this specific model so I thought I'd share the info I have and the experience I have had with mine since buying it new in April. I have been spending a fair bit of time on the range with it getting ready for Africa in November.

The Safari Classics II model is basically an upgraded version of the standard Safari Classics model from CZ, list of upgrades below as stated in the book that came with it.
* Upgraded wood
* Glass bedded
* "kickstop" recoil reducer fitted from factory
* Jewelled bolt and magazine follower
* Bolt hand fitted to action
* DLC surface treatment on the barrelled action as well as bolt & magazine follower
* Stock available in a matte oiled finish or high gloss finish
* Comes in a alloy hard case

Available chamberings 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby & 458 Lott. The 375, 416 & 458 all have the CZ hammer forged barrels. The 300 H&H & 404 Jeffery have button rifled barrels fitted from Lother Walther.
I have been told that there was a total of only 100 rifles made across all the chamberings, not sure if that is true or not, be interested to hear if anyone else has anymore info on this? Mine is serial number SC00025 so I'm assuming number 25.

Mine is chambered in 458 Lott with the oiled matte finish, unbelievable fit and finish on this rifle could easily be considered a custom rifle. The bolt may just be the smoothest I have ever come across on a big calibre rifle and the feeding, extraction and ejection is absolutely perfect right out of the box. I have been doing a lot of offhand shooting with it cycling and firing through a full magazine to make sure it is 100% reliable before heading to Africa, I couldn't be happier with how the rifle functions and performs.
I have mounted a Leupold VX-3 HD 1.5-5 in a set of Talley rings, with the scope mounted it's coming in at close to 11lbs. So it's definitely not suited to someone who prefers rifles on the lighter end of the scale, personally I prefer heavier rifles so it doesn't bother me. Between the recoil reducer, the weight of the rifle and the nice recoil pad it is quite comfortable to shoot even with heavy loads. I have worked up a load with 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs averaging 2172fps from the 25" barrel.

The only negative for me is the 25" barrel, I always prefer shorter barrels. Having said that, the positive of the longer barrel is obvious in being able to achieve higher velocities with the big heavy for calibre 550 grain Woodleighs. Below is a 5 shot group into 0.9" at 65 yards with the 550 grain Woodleighs, more than happy with the accuracy.

This CZ has very quickly become one of my all time favourite big bores, below link to a quick video of the rifle when I finished a range session a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 618162
Beautiful rifle! I’ve never seen one of the Classic II models before. Thanks for posting. I have a CZ550 458 Lott that Wayne at AHR upgraded for me.

Sounds like you’re all set with a good load. If you want more velocity without compromising performance, you might consider CEB Raptor bullets that would allow you to use a lighter bullet.

The 404J brother I mentioned to @Aussie_Hunter ’s 458 Lott. And yes, S/N was 00063, so I think you are on to something. Have only shot open sights standing so far, so anxious to see if it is as accurate as yours once I get it set up with a scope.

IMG_3867.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 404J brother I mentioned to @Aussie_Hunter ’s 458 Lott. And yes, S/N was 00063, so I think you are on to something. Have only shot open sights standing so far, so anxious to see if it is as accurate as yours once I get it set up with a scope.
I'd love one in 404 or 416 as well. I looked at the last 404 they have left for sale but its the high gloss finish, I really prefer the matte oiled finish on the stock.

Thank you for sharing. I have a 550 in 404J bought back in 2013. It has upgraded wood and jeweled bolt, barrel banding with a gloss barrel. Shoots wonderfully. That catalog posted makes we wish CZ were still making them.

Very nice and looks like it will do the job all day long every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanaFerr

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.