Current state of Dangerous Game optics?

Zastava? Yugoslavia made or?
Yes, Zastava when they first came out with left hand models after the civil war, so late 1990s, early 2000s.

Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24i has an eye relief of 90 mm / 3.5 inch

I bought one a week ago and took it to the shooting range for the first time this morning.

In my search for a new driven hunt rifle scope, I did not come across any model with a longer eye relief than 95 mm / 3.7 inch.

Yes, they look like a great scope, but the eye relief is where a lot of Euro scope stop unfortunately. I would be happy with it on my 375H&H, but I would be uncomfortable with it on anything bigger than that.

I would throw the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4 out there too. No complicated reticle or battery yet an excellent low light option for those who like that.
I have seen a lot of people recommending the Trijicon scopes in the past. But it seems like the Accupoint eye relief has changed at some time, because all the current specification list I find with google list the eye relief as 3.2 inches.

Yes, it looks like a very nice scope, but eye relief is still under 4"
What rifle are you looking to mount a scope on? You mentioned 9.3x64 in this thread. I really can’t see need for excessive eye relief on 416 and under.

What rifle are you looking to mount a scope on? You mentioned 9.3x64 in this thread. I really can’t see need for excessive eye relief on 416 and under.
Hi mate, if you look at the OP, I asked about scopes with "eye relief that is suitable for the heavy recoiling rifles". Right now my biggest rifles are 416 and 500, but I left the question deliberately open ended. I wasnt so much asking what scope should I put on rifle X. I was really asking is there something out there on the market that meets my brief that I have missed. Based on the options that people have posted, I am thinking the answer is "no", which is disappointing.

Hi mate, if you look at the OP, I asked about scopes with "eye relief that is suitable for the heavy recoiling rifles". Right now my biggest rifles are 416 and 500, but I left the question deliberately open ended. I wasnt so much asking what scope should I put on rifle X. I was really asking is there something out there on the market that meets my brief that I have missed. Based on the options that people have posted, I am thinking the answer is "no", which is disappointing.
I think No is sadly the answer. It’s only getting worse too.

Just ordered a Trijicon Accupoint 1x6x24, Model TR25 with a German #4 reticle/green dot, for my Model 70 375. Reviews seem pretty good. Supposed to be better optically and more eye relief than the TR24 1x4 model. Hope it works out. Anybody have any experience with the TR 25 model???

Just ordered a Trijicon Accupoint 1x6x24, Model TR25 with a German #4 reticle/green dot, for my Model 70 375. Reviews seem pretty good. Supposed to be better optically and more eye relief than the TR24 1x4 model. Hope it works out. Anybody have any experience with the TR 25 model???
I just put one, but with the duplex reticle, on a 9.3x62. Love it so far. Thinking of putting one on my .458 Lott.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
I've just put a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 CDS-ZL2 on my 458 Lott.
I haven't done enough with it to comment extensively. However it has great optics and good eye relief. It has a standard duplex reticle plus firedot. I would have preferred a heavy No 4 reticle rather than duplex, but the firedot does a great job in terms of quickly grabbing the eye. It has the advantage of also being visible in low light situations.

Unfortunately those options illustrate my point, as none have the eye relief I am looking for.

I actually bought one of the Optica 6 and was very excited to mount it on my 9.3x64. But when I tried to use it I found the power zoom knob is so over size that the bolt handle would not clear the scope. When I emailed the store about it, their advise was to use higher mounts, which is a totally useless answer
I have had the same issue with some Meopta scopes, including that one. Wonder if the oversized knobs might not be a plus in cold weather with heavy gloves. The scope went on another rifle without problems.

Also, had to go with higher rings than I originally anticipated rings on a Christensen rifle with a carbon wrapped barrel. With the various bolt handles, barrels and styles of actions, I don't know if the store could say much more.

For DG and heavy recoiling rifles why not red dots? One will not be shooting them hundreds of yards away.

Heck, I have even used them for a bear some years back.

Yes, I realise thats an option. My main concerns are:

1) I like scopes - not sure if I will like a reflex sight as much;
2) I want to be able to hunt sambar deer with my bigger bore rifles where I live in Victoria, Australia. That may mean shooting in dawn or dust near darkness, so having a scope to help with low light at those times of the day would be a big help.

Having said that, we have an Aimpoint Micro H2 on my son's 458, so we are going to give that a solid try on deer soon. so we will see how the red dot works for us.

Last edited:
Adding some photos that illustrate the problem with the optica 6

View attachment 559147View attachment 559148
I had one of these Meopta R2 scopes on my Win 70 .375. No issues on bolt clearance or ejection interference with low Warne QD mounts and bases. Great scopes. Way better glass than the Optika line as well.

Seems this comes with a rail. I know nothing of that product, but the scope I thoroughly recommend.

Pics on my rifle (since sold):
1695524056209.jpeg

1695524074524.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 9.02.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 9.02.40 AM.png
    843.4 KB · Views: 114
Unfortunately the Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 is discontinued and has an uncertain replacement status.

Yes, Zastava when they first came out with left hand models after the civil war, so late 1990s, early 2000s.
Very nice glad to see em around in the wild

Used to have a 8x57 zastava back from the yugoslav days I think '85 to be exact. Ended up selling it to a begginer hunter so it continues what it does best
Here it usually either the rifle your dad or granddad used and you were given to hunt with or your first rifle you bought beacause you were a young hunter low on money when beggining(my optic I got for it cost double of what I paid for the rifle and is now on my new rifle)

Scope wise look at kahles i use a helia c 3-12x56 but would get a x24 maybe as a DG/close range optic since i do tend to hunt on foot in the thick forest

Two swaro's that I have and which, for me, make sense for general hunting are

Z8i 1 - 8 x 24
Z8i 2 - 16 x 50

The blaser products are also worth a look for those with blaser rifles, but they are a bit heavier than their swaro equivalents

Looking on the table in front of me I also have

a strike eagle 1 - 6 x 24 - though I don't rate it very highly (possibly because I dislike the reticle)

a vortex 1 - 4 x 24 - which is OK

A Schmidt and Bender 1.25 - 4 x 20 which is also OK

Schmidt bender and Swarovski would be my top two choices and if I had to pick I would find a used sb zenith 1-4——imo the best big game scope ever produced. I have one and I move it from rifle to rifle depending on hunt. I also have a swaro 1-6 straight tube illuminated n4, I like it but the eye relief isn’t as good as the sb. If a leupold vx3 1-5 will fit on your action you can find one used somewhere I’m sure , there was a lot of them on the market. I have used the leupold for decades and it’s a shame they quit producing it——just goes to show how out of touch management of some of these companies are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]