Current shipping options to Alaska

Tundra Tiger

AH legend
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
3,536
Reaction score
18,312
Location
SW Alaska
Media
80
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
4
Member of
SCI, SCI Alaska
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas)
I fully understand there are many threads on shipping stuff back from Africa. I also know the answers seem to shift with time, so I am going to ask for folks to share recent experiences.

My specific situation is this: the African side, in 2021, was Lauriston Taxidermy for the dip/pack, and then they handed off to African Trophy Exports for the shipping on that side. Because I am hunting the same place, I am thinking it will follow a similar path this time. (weeks away)

I was very happy with Lauriston for their part, both with quality of what they did and their pricing. Zero concerns there. I don't remember much about African Trophy Exports, but I don't remember being unhappy, so maybe they are still a good choice? I'd listen to the opinions of others.

My question is probably more about the shipping on this side. Previously, I used Trophy Shippers / Tom Kelly. I was largely satisfied. I know he's not there now. I know things have changed hands.

So, what say ye AH experts - and in particular, those members in Alaska who have shipped things recently. What's my best bet for getting stuff to Alaska? Also, thoughts on air versus by sea to get it to our shores?

Thanks in advance.

Terry
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
That’s a grave consideration when living in Alaska. An engineer I hired from the lower 48 into Fairbanks shipped their household goods in a container. The container came off the ship in a storm and was never seen again.

I see that Coppersmiths has a Seattle office. They went way above and beyond to recover a lost shipment for me. I would contact them and see what they say.
 
That is good know - about them having a SEA office. Thanks @WAB.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
I just got my skulls back from Australia - They flew on Delta from Brisbane to LAX to SEA. Cleared USDA in LAX. Cleared Customs and USFW in SEA. I used Jennifer House with Coppersmith in Seattle to clear the trophies. I reshipped to Anchorage using Carlile Myconnect.

-- Total for Coppersmith was $1166 including all the miscellaneous warehouse and transfer fees as well as delivery to the Carlile Terminal in Tacoma.
-- Total for Carlile to reship to Anchorage was $70.
-- Crate was 106 lbs., 28 in. x 23 in. x 30 in.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,570,479
Members
168,890
Latest member
LeliaMaste
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top