Considering changing itineraries

btheis13

AH veteran
Reaction score
I was wanting to bring my own rifle to RSA for my first safari. I understood traveling with a rifle has its challenges, and I was ok dealing with them. After searching for airfare over the last few months I came to the realization that it was going to cost over $2000 more just to take my own rifle.

United or delta flights direct to Johannesburg are approx $500 more each than BA flights with layover in London. x 4 tickets.

Plus cost of ammo, using rifle service in JNB, etc.

Is there any other airlines I should consider flying from Chicago (economy seats)?

I was wanting to bring my own rifle to RSA for my first safari. I understood traveling with a rifle has its challenges, and I was ok dealing with them. After searching for airfare over the last few months I came to the realization that it was going to cost over $2000 more just to take my own rifle.

United or delta flights direct to Johannesburg are approx $500 more each than BA flights with layover in London. x 4 tickets.

Is there any other airlines I should consider flying from Chicago (economy seats)?
This is something you absolutely do not want to work individually on your first safari. Either Travel Express (a sponsor) or Gracy Travel are in the business of working travel options for hunters with firearms. = or the places hunters may go without them.

I have been traveling internationally my whole adult professional life and always depend upon one of these two for this sort of adventure. They are both excellent.

I can’t recommend a different airline but You might also consider going during non-peak travel times if you can. September is still a good month for hunting Africa but not as busy as May-August. If an outfitter has the flexibility I’ve shifted hunt dates a few days forward or back as well to get better airfares.

On my first safari I used Travel Express and they steered me away from some airlines that I was thinking about when I was planning on doing it myself.

We also found that we saved quite a bit of money flying Tuesday through Thursday, forgetting about Mondays and Fridays, not to mention weekends. It was surprising at the difference in fares going mid week.

Air France is another option. Long layovers both ways in Paris though. But worth checking prices.

Travel with guns is another agency. They charge a fee, like a consultant. Although I think Travel Express does as well now. Much more transparent;)

There are several threads about this sing Ethiopian. People make the flight with guns. Just communicate with everyone and have your paperwork in order.

It would only be a 40 minute layover or 7.5 hours.
@Red Leg and a couple others have given you the best advice. Hire one of the travel agents that specialize in traveling with guns. You won't be sorry....

I checked with travel express and gracey for my next trip to south africa just a few days ago. Flying with a gun does indeed cost more. The orginal poster is corect I was quoted about $500 more per ticket with a gun vs with out. Not sure what I am going to do at the moment. Also I noticed the tickets where more through the agency than direct from the air line.

Without a gun you have lots of choices. With a gun, BA but high gun fee. Qatar, Emirates, Turkish higher gun fee. Lufthansa, KLM, Air France.

@Red Leg and a couple others have given you the best advice. Hire one of the travel agents that specialize in traveling with guns. You won't be sorry....
I have never had any problems traveling with my guns on safari. I would never book my own travel without either Travel Express or Gracy. It is not difficult at all just don’t do it by yourself. With respect think “penny wise pound foolish.”

Delta does not charge for having a rifle so this topic is strange to me. I just book my ticket and they have no idea what my luggage is until I check in at the desk with a firearm.

If I was going anywhere other than RSA I would certainly use Travel Express or Gracy Travel, but for flying to RSA I just book Delta and there has never (5 trips to Jburg with a rifle) been a higher rate for a rifle. Because they had no idea I had a rifle until I checked in months after the ticket was purchased.

Maybe other airlines are different. I wouldn't know because I always use Delta to Jburg because I have big status with them

You really need to talk to Jennifer Ginn at Travel Express. I always take my own rifles, and it does not cost $2000! She can also help you plan and book activities other than the safari itself. Travel Express is a sponsor on AH and you can find their number here.

Good luck!

Doug

I have never had any problems traveling with my guns on safari. I would never book my own travel without either Travel Express or Gracy. It is not difficult at all just don’t do it by yourself. With respect think “penny wise pound foolish.”
Yeah I get it. I have also done most of my own travel when its straight forward. I have also used Travel Express when it started to get complicated....
When someone comes on here asking travel questions that are beyond simple or straight forward, which is how I viewed the OP's post, I will always recommend that they use a professional, even if it costs a premium, to ensure that its done correctly....Because thats what professional travel agents are supposed to do....
As an example....I could also do my own firearm import.... But for a few extra bucks I get the security of a professional doing it without the hassle...

As it turns out, the OP was really just asking about traveling WITHOUT firearms and is going to rent when he gets there. I also completely understand his decision, as traveling with guns is becoming more of a PIA all the time....

Look. You will be fine either way. Nothing wrong with renting a rifle. It certainly makes logistics easier.

As to looking for the cheapest route of travel, don’t forget to consider the other costs. For me, time off work and away from my family is a premium. A cheaper route that takes longer isn’t really saving me any money. Also, more stops, more places for problems, missed flights, lost baggage, etc.

Although it’s tempting to look for cheaper flights, I still go back to Delta Atl to JNB time and time again.

Best of luck with your planning.

Last year, using Travel Express, I went to Africa on 2 trips…once on Turkish through Istanbul…once through Paris on Air France. Both trips had 8 hour layovers and two 12 hour flights…about 30 hours of travel one way. That was a waste of time and time is $ to me. This year, again with Travel Express, 2 trips to JNB again but direct from ATL on Delta. Travel is about half the time giving me a full day back each trip. I’m going back to using Delta and flying direct to JNB. That’s a long flight in coach but I get a lot of time back.

Emirates has a great flight from ORD. I’ve usually taken it to HRE via Dubai, but there is a ORD to Dubai to JHB option. Tickets are $800-$1400 typically. Their cattle class is a tiny bit smaller than BA biz class in their old, terrible cabins on the flight ORD to LHR. Put another way, it’s a pretty dandy coach seat with live TV on the back of the seat and decent food.

Emirates gun permit you do yourself and its pretty straightforward and online. You’d get your RSA / SAPS permit however you intended to whether by yourself or using rifle permits.com

I’m not a fan of the Delta routes via ORD. The red eye flight in the early AM to ATL is really cutting it close for you to collect your guns, recheck them, and get onto the JHB flight. Doing the Dulles or JFK option is quite dangerous, you’re a felon if you leave the sanitary side of the airport in the event of a cancellation or delay.

Qatari is spoken of highly by our members, but I’ve never attempted it from ORD because Emirates has worked out so well for me on the past dozen or so trips.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I'm officially booked. Decided to go with American Airlines Chicago to Heathrow, then British Airways from Heathrow to JNB. Couldn't pass on the price. Sorry guys, I understand Gracie and Travel Express works for you, but I'm giving this a go on my own. Maybe I learn from my mistake, but hopefully not!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anya73On

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?