Combo plains game and DG scope

jimbo1972

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Thoughts on 2x12x42 vs 1x6x24 for a combo plains game DG Scope? This will be on a 375 H&H Blaser R8. Either one will be a Leupold VX6HD with Fire dot. DG will be mostly Buffalo

Facing this exact same question myself. I’m planning on going with the 2-12 for versatility. I habitually shoot with both eyes open, which has me leaning this way.

Philip Glass’ videos and comments on this forum were convincing.

On the other hand, I’d think about your intended common use. If it’s primarily buffalo - 1-6, if it’s primarily plains game with the occasional buffalo (my situation, not 100% I will hunt buffalo) 2-12.

Good luck!

PS. What ammo are you using? I’ve only been able to source Barnes 300 gr TSX which has a good reputation, though there is also some Hornady DGX available in my area. Hopefully both shoot accurately enough.

I have the same exact 2-12x42 on both of my 375 H&Hs and it works great for both DG and PG. I have a new NightForce NX8 1-8x24 on my CZ Lott that I just mounted and hope to shoot soon.

The Leupold scopes have been fine on my 375s but the Lott has been hard on Leupold 1-6x scopes.

Last edited:
My first scope (in 1960) was a fixed 4X on a .308 and it was used in everything from raccoons near the chicken coop and woodchucks in the pasture to moose in Newfoundland and elk in Colorado. Thought that nothing could be better. My most recent scope is a Leupold VX35HD 1-5 on an R8 in .458 Lott which went to Zimbabwe for Buffalo. I found the 1X exceptionally quick and the 5X sufficient for longer shots at a few baboon. I don’t think you need the 12X to make good longer shots.

There have been thousands of buffalo killed with 3x and 4x fixed power scopes. Therefore, the 2x is obviously a solid choice. That being stated, I really do prefer a true 1x and my go to is not Leupold as they don't offer a 1-8. The S&B Exos 1-8 has been my go to for the last 8 years or so. I truly do prefer a little more than 8X on a plains game set up, so given the options you designated, I would go 2-12. The chances of "needing" true 1x is somewhat remote, but I sure do like having it and not needing it.

Facing this exact same question myself. I’m planning on going with the 2-12 for versatility. I habitually shoot with both eyes open, which has me leaning this way.

Philip Glass’ videos and comments on this forum were convincing.

On the other hand, I’d think about your intended common use. If it’s primarily buffalo - 1-6, if it’s primarily plains game with the occasional buffalo (my situation, not 100% I will hunt buffalo) 2-12.

Good luck!

PS. What ammo are you using? I’ve only been able to source Barnes 300 gr TSX which has a good reputation, though there is also some Hornady DGX available in my area. Hopefully both shoot accurately enough.
Right now going to be using 260 grain Accubond for Whitetails to get used to hunting with this Blaser. Probably go with 300 Tsx for Africa

Even in a blind I rarely go over 6x inside 150-200 yards. Maybe 8x if it's low light.

To me, the 1x acting like a quick acquisition red dot is of more value than the extended magnification for distance in the scenario you describe.

For me, also r8, I have the vx6 1-6 for the 375 barrel and simply plan to take a 300wm barrel outfitted more for distance should the need arise

My first scope (in 1960) was a fixed 4X on a .308 and it was used in everything from raccoons near the chicken coop and woodchucks in the pasture to moose in Newfoundland and elk in Colorado. Thought that nothing could be better. My most recent scope is a Leupold VX35HD 1-5 on an R8 in .458 Lott which went to Zimbabwe for Buffalo. I found the 1X exceptionally quick and the 5X sufficient for longer shots at a few baboon. I don’t think you need the 12X to make good longer shots.
I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I bet the field of view on the 2-12x42 is just as large as the 1-5x24 and there’s nothing bad about having the option of 12x magnification for sighting in and for a few longer shots.

I had a vx3 1.5-5 on my 375 first for a few hunts then went to vx5 2-10. I prefer the 2-10 for the added flexibility if I need more power, but it usually sits at 5x. I haven’t seen any downside on the low power side. I’d go with the vx6 2-12 given your choices.

I prefer the vx 1.5-5 as I've been using that scope on shotguns and lever guns here in Midwest for decades. It's never failed me and I'm used to it. And similar to Midwest hunting, I rarely have the time or need to dial up the magnification. If I do, 5x is plenty.

I have bought a Swarovski Z8i 1,7-13,3X42 for my hopefully soon to be finished custom rifle in .375 H&H. The reason for that is the idea of a riflescope to do it all.

On my double rifle I had the Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 and noticed that I never had it on a lower setting then 2 so I think that 1,7 as the lowest setting will work great for me.

Thoughts on 2x12x42 vs 1x6x24 for a combo plains game DG Scope? This will be on a 375 H&H Blaser R8. Either one will be a Leupold VX6HD with Fire dot. DG will be mostly Buffalo
I've hunted all my big game with 4x...

1-6x24mm extended eye relief is the classic do-all scope for DG game plus PG shots out to 350 yards.

I would never sacrifice low rings and 1x straight tube in exchange to get more top-end zoom.

The USMC and US Army were using 10x fixed optics for targets between 600 and 1000 meters. If we can’t shoot 1/3rd that distance with a 6x power, it’s a user problem.

I’m not a particularly good shot as any that have seen me shoot can attest. Nonetheless, the farthest shot I’ve ever taken under extremely peculiar circumstances was 347 yards on a bushbuck with a 375HH using a 1-6x scope. Anything with more zoom than that doesn’t make me a better shooter, it just lets me see how terrible a shot I am at greater magnification.

How good are your eyes?
What scope tube diameter?
What is your max shooting distance?
How much ambient light do you need to see through your scope?

Answer those questions then pick your scope.

IMPO, on a longer range caliber ie .270 and up to .40 caliber, a quality 2-12 × 42 with a 32mm - 36mm tube.

At 6x with a 26mm tube, at morning and evening naughtical twilight (1/2 hour before sunrise, 1/2 before sunset) doesn't work very good for my old eyes past 100 yards.

.4 caliber and up a 1-6 or 2-8 x 28mm or 32mm tube scope should work fine because generally your shots will be at ~100 or less yards on DG and the heavy hunting calibers with heavy bullets (400gr+) aren't meant for 400 yard shots.

Last edited:
Is it an option to get both optics and put them in quick release rings? I love
Both your options-would be happy with either but I can see advantages to either as well. . .

I use a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10x42 with the firedot on my 416 Rem, 300 H&H and 7 Weatherby. Good for close up and 400 yds.

Quick math explanation because people get lost in the topic of light gathering in scopes. You know, you have to get a big 50mm scope because of light gathering, etc?

A typical male over the age of 40 has a maximum pupil dilation of around 6mm. (A young kid with great vision might reach almost 8mm).

So, let’s work the math. A 1-6x24mm optic set at 6x is transmitted 6/24=4mm. But at 4x, you are literally getting all the light through an optic that your over-40 years pupil is going to take in anyway for those low-light situations.

What is the average shooting distance for low-light, dawn/dusk hunting? A leopard blind is typically set at 70 yards. Dangerous game hunting of all types, in aggregate, in the Boddington study found the average shot distance was 38 yards. 38 yards taking in all of those extreme distance shots on Buffalo past 100 yards, you’re still at 38 yard average.

So for DG hunting you’re probably setting your power to 1x and an absolute max of 3x magnification for those 10 yard to 120 yard shots. Your light gathering with a 1-6x24mm set at 3x is passing 8mm of light gathering yet your eyes can only absorb 6mm best-case. Light gathering even on the 1-6x24mm is wasted.

The scenarios that come up in hunting where someone needs a 40mm or 50mm exit objective lens, or a 7x-12x zoom range are very, very rare. The consumer’s false belief they need it is why they are common, not because they are actually solving a problem.

Quick math explanation because people get lost in the topic of light gathering in scopes. You know, you have to get a big 50mm scope because of light gathering, etc?

A typical male over the age of 40 has a maximum pupil dilation of around 6mm. (A young kid with great vision might reach almost 8mm).

So, let’s work the math. A 1-6x24mm optic set at 6x is transmitted 6/24=4mm. But at 4x, you are literally getting all the light through an optic that your over-40 years pupil is going to take in anyway for those low-light situations.

What is the average shooting distance for low-light, dawn/dusk hunting? A leopard blind is typically set at 70 yards. Dangerous game hunting of all types, in aggregate, in the Boddington study found the average shot distance was 38 yards. 38 yards taking in all of those extreme distance shots on Buffalo past 100 yards, you’re still at 38 yard average.

So for DG hunting you’re probably setting your power to 1x and an absolute max of 3x magnification for those 10 yard to 120 yard shots. Your light gathering with a 1-6x24mm set at 3x is passing 8mm of light gathering yet your eyes can only absorb 6mm best-case. Light gathering even on the 1-6x24mm is wasted.

The scenarios that come up in hunting where someone needs a 40mm or 50mm exit objective lens, or a 7x-12x zoom range are very, very rare. The consumer’s false belief they need it is why they are common, not because they are actually solving a problem.

Not meaning to be derogatory or insulting. Just inquisitive.

So your saying a 24mm straight scope gathers the same ambient light as a 50mm objective lens?

Now that you have done the calculations for eyes gathering light.

How about comparison calculations on Field Of View, with low ambient light conditions, between a straight 26mm, 28mm and 32mm; same tube diameter having 40mm, 42mm, and 50mm exit lenses. Using 1, 6, and 12 power at 38 yards, 120 yards and 300 yards.

At 120 yards, at 6x can you see those twigs covering the vitals, that you can clearly see using 12x?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyrtleDick

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.