CHEDDITE 209 PRIMER any good?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Anyone have any information on these? They seem to be the only 209 primer around at the moment.

Thank you
-Matt

Attachments

Just went through a 1000
they went Click Bang
you can find reloading recipes on line
Will fit in any Hull ... But slightly larger in dia than a Win 209

We found them to be undependable in cold weather, and as Zepther said above, they are
slightly larger in dia.once you use them in a hull you must continue to do so.

I am part way through my first brick of Cheddite 209 primers loading 12, 16, and 20 gauge. I have no issues. but they are slightly larger in diameter than the W209 primers, as mentioned. So slightly more pressure is required to seat them. I load WAA hulls and pray that these primers to not stretch the primer pockets on my hulls.

These would be used for an 8 bore rifle in very expensive and hard to get brass... maybe they aren't a good idea.

Thanks all!

-Matt

That’s what was recommended to me when I bought my new CVA this summer. Haven’t had any failures yet.

I have been using Cheddite 209 primers for years. Probably loaded over 15,000 of them. I recently purchased another 5,000. I am an avid trap shooter. I have never had any issues with them regardless of temperature from 0 to 100. I have never had a misfire either.

I also have been loading Chedite shotgun primers for years. A few failures (very few) but fewer than Winchester primers. I had one tray of Winchester primers from a carton that would not stay put in hulls that had been previously loaded with Chedites. The rest of the primers in that lot of a thousand worked fine. Go figure. I also had a Winchester primer blow up in my shotgun. Very strange as the primer disintegrated but didn't detonate the powder in the case. My shotgun sustained some minor damage but I escaped uninjured thankfully.

These would be used for an 8 bore rifle in very expensive and hard to get brass... maybe they aren't a good idea.

Thanks all!

-Matt
Buy a pack and see if their still different sized all I have on hand is the older blue pack the yellow is supposed to be standard .209 sized.

F616Fiocchi 616multi-purpose 209 1000/50000.242"
#RIO209Rio 209multi-purpose 209 1000/50000.245"
#CH209Cheddite 209multi-purpose 209 1000/50000.242"
#CCICCI 209small-bore & mild1000/50000.240"
#CCIMCCI 209 Magnummagnum 209 uses1000/50000.240"
#209AFederal 209Amulti-purpose 2091000/50000.241"
#F616Fiocchi 616multi-purpose 2091000/50000.242"#RIO209Rio 209multi-purpose 2091000/50000.245"#CH209Cheddite 209multi-purpose 2091000/50000.242"#CCICCI 209small-bore & mild1000/50000.240"#CCIMCCI 209 Magnummagnum 209 uses1000/50000.240"#209AFederal 209Amulti-purpose 2091000/50000.241"#R209Remington STSmulti-purpose 209 1000/50000.241"#W209Winchester 209multi-purpose 209 1000/50000.2415"R209Remington STSmulti-purpose 209 1000/50000.241"
#W209Winchester 209multi-purpose 209
1000/50000.2415"

Last edited:
Good luck with the 8 bore I have been eyeing a greener 8 bore shotgun. but with ammo and components being the way they are I’m trying to stick to more common calibers and muzzleloaders.

I have been using Cheddite 209 primers for years. Probably loaded over 15,000 of them. I recently purchased another 5,000. I am an avid trap shooter. I have never had any issues with them regardless of temperature from 0 to 100. I have never had a misfire either.
Same here, I’m about half way through my first brick, used them in 12 gauge target loads and 10 gauge waterfowl loads, wide range of temps. Never had any issues, even when using large quantities of Blue Dot.

As mentioned above, they are larger than US made brands, and once they are used, the pocket is too large to go back to using US brands. BPI makes a tool that will resize back to standard, I have it, and it works well.

As mentioned above, they are larger than US made brands, and once they are used, the pocket is too large to go back to using US brands. BPI makes a tool that will resize back to standard, I have it, and it works well.

This sort of thing worries me, my cases are $30 a piece and take 3 months to get.

-matt

That’s what was recommended to me when I bought my new CVA this summer. Haven’t had any failures yet.
This.

they out perform all US made primers in my muzzle loader. They seem super hot, clean, and are slightly shorter in length than US made. They fit the primer pocket better and get a better seal.

This sort of thing worries me, my cases are $30 a piece and take 3 months to get.

-matt
Matt, I’m guessing your cases are solid brass, and doubt you would get the stretching that you see on shotshells…they just have a thin wall of steel or brass where it is punched through. That being the case, don’t ruin your $30 a piece brass on my theories!

Matt, I’m guessing your cases are solid brass, and doubt you would get the stretching that you see on shotshells…they just have a thin wall of steel or brass where it is punched through. That being the case, don’t ruin your $30 a piece brass on my theories!

If I can't get any other primers then I'll be forced to pick some of these up.

While $30 per case is certainly expensive, the bigger issue is actually the turn-around. RMC estimated a 3 month wait for an order of 30 pieces of brass! I suppose it's better than trying to find something like 404 Jefferey brass :ROFLMAO:.

If I can't get any other primers then I'll be forced to pick some of these up.

While $30 per case is certainly expensive, the bigger issue is actually the turn-around. RMC estimated a 3 month wait for an order of 30 pieces of brass! I suppose it's better than trying to find something like 404 Jefferey brass .
RMC was going out of business last I heard?! Are they still going strong? I had 10 of their 12 gauge shells at one point as they're the only ones who made brass shells you could use 12 gauge components in.

How are you resizing your brass? I made a diy press from 4", 0.25 wall steel tube and a 2 ton hydraulic jack. I could only get the front half sized with that. I eventually broke the valve in that jack resizing those. 8 bore has got to be a pain...

RMC was going out of business last I heard?! Are they still going strong? I had 10 of their 12 gauge shells at one point as they're the only ones who made brass shells you could use 12 gauge components in.

How are you resizing your brass? I made a diy press from 4", 0.25 wall steel tube and a 2 ton hydraulic jack. I could only get the front half sized with that. I eventually broke the valve in that jack resizing those. 8 bore has got to be a pain...

They haven't said anything about going out of business, in fact they said they were busy, and my order would take some time. I'm still waiting on the brass.

My hope is that the thick brass combined with the low pressures, keep me from having to do much sizing.

-matt

They haven't said anything about going out of business, in fact they said they were busy, and my order would take some time. I'm still waiting on the brass.

My hope is that the thick brass combined with the low pressures, keep me from having to do much sizing.

-matt
I bought my shells from them a few years ago and they had a post on their website that they were done and not taking new orders after a certain date because the owners son wasnt interested in continuing the business... maybe they sold it. Good! They are the only ones who make obscure brass anymore.

If you're only running black powder in your cases, you're unlikely to ever need to size them... they should always spring back.

I loaded exclusively with Cheddite 209 primers and Vectan powders for over 25 years for 8 bore wildfowling loads and heavy 12ga loads from the mid 1980’s into the 2000’s, never had any performance issues or misfiring. Cannot comment on any size issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HectorDang

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles