Chapuis Brousse 470 NE Double Rifle

Quick update on the weaver mount you can buy for these guns. So I may have also bought a new Chapuis UGEX in 9.3x74r so I now have something to compare to. :LOL: The top lever works as it's supposed to unlike the ELAN I sent to Benelli to fix. The weaver mount does slip over the top of the rib when it sits in that premilled rib slot for that mount. I don't understand the reasoning behind why it would slip over the top, it just seems silly to do that.

First two pictures are of the UGEX and you can see how that milled groove is perfectly wide enough to fit over the rib. The third picture down shows my ELAN and how it is not even remotely wide enough to fit over that rib. I must have bought an older model even though it was classified as new at Cabelas, which is called an ELAN on the rib but clearly is not the same as the new ELAN rifles being made now. Who the hell knows though. When I had talked to Benelli support, I swear the gentleman on the phone said it was made in 2021, so it's a bit baffling to me how it could be an older version. As annoying as that is, I'll just have the mount milled down to the correct length or try and find one made by a different company that I can use but has the same hole pattern. Just another thing to waste money on I guess :rolleyes:

I'm installing a scope on the UGEX using the recknagel made swivel quick disconnect mount. It looks like a nice setup but I haven't installed it all yet as I'm still waiting on the 1-6x scope to be delivered. I'll use this rifle for plains game just to add an extra layer of fun and the intrigue of it being a bit different than the standard bolt action gun. Then I will take one of my 450-400's for the elephant and lion.

PXL_20230526_225258175.jpg

PXL_20230526_225336584.jpg

PXL_20230428_233311627.jpg

I have gone back and forth with the idea of a double for alot of years, I owned a secondhand Merkel 140ae in 470NE for a couple of years, I went down the road of a secondhand Merkel purely because of the price, I wanted to spend some time on the range and in the field with a double to see if I liked it before spending 2 or 3 times the money on one.

After hunting with the Merkel I decided I love doubles, I really like how they are quick to point like a shotgun and the quick one two punch of the double was very appealing, I can see why PH's love them. Since selling that Merkel around 12 months ago I have been looking at all brands of doubles in all chamberings, finally I found the most appealing to me was the Chapuis brand. Not that I don't like other brands, Heym has always been at the top of my list, the Merkel itself was a fine working rifle, I have looked at a lot of Verney's I have also recently been looking at an older William Douglas 470 but the Chapuis doubles are what I keep going back to.

I have loved the idea of the 500/416 chambering, it is a really interesting cartridge to me not to mention I don't have a 416 in my safe but I finally made the decision to go with the trusty old 470, when I had the Merkel the 470 cartridge provided outstanding performance and I just couldn't look past it.

Today I ordered this Chapuis Brousse in 470NE, I couldn't be happier with my choice, attached below are some photos the importer sent through today when I was enquiring about the rifle. From what I have seen and read Chapuis doubles have an outstanding reputation and I really do feel Chapuis are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market, the weight, barrel length and LOP are exactly what I am looking for, I also absolutely love the aesthetics of this double, it has a really nice straight grain through the wood which I always like to see on big calibre rifles, the engraving isn't over the top (I'm a simple man I don't need anything too fancy). Not to mention from the factory it has the removeable plates in the rib so either a dot or scope can be mounted, I'm considering an RMR but will spend some time with the open sights first before making a final decision on that.

Did my permit to acquire tonight, which are taking around 3 weeks at the moment so in less than a month I should have the rifle in my hands.

View attachment 512211
View attachment 512212
View attachment 512213
View attachment 512214
View attachment 512215
View attachment 512216
View attachment 512217
View attachment 512218
View attachment 512219
One of mine is used for culling water Buffalo and hogs on daily basis.

One of mine is used for culling water Buffalo and hogs on daily basis.
@juan pablo pozzi - I’ve been very pleased with my Chapuis .470NE and purchased it New in 2006 for a safari in TZ. It has been my one and only Double rifle so I’m no expert but the accuracy & beauty fit all my needs. After several years of consideration and knowing it’s unlikely I’m going back to Africa - decided to sell it and sent it to Champlin Firearms for George to sell on consignment for me. I’d heard great things about Champlin & George’s reputation and was more comfortable having him handle the sale (it’s listed on Guns International). I enjoyed owning it and just looking at it, cleaning it, and showing it off to my friends but Now I’m mostly shooting Sporting Clays and makes sense to let it go and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Medic2637

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?