Cast vs jacketed bullets for a Gibbs

MRogersII

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
176
Reaction score
99
Media
20
Have recently begun reloading for a 505 Gibbs and was looking for guidance on whether cast bullets are "better" than jacketed? That is, are they more accurate, easier on the barrel, etc? With regards to recreational shooting.
I'm ok with opinions, of course, but would very much welcome and appreciate experienced feedback.
Thank you
Michael
 
I can't help regarding the 505, however I shoot a lot of cast bullets in cartridges up to the 458 Win Mag. If the bullet is cast "hard" but not brittle it can be very effective on game. the limitation is that in general they are limited to about 1800-2000 fps. the lead is softer than gilding metal (copper-zinc-tin) so generated less friction going out of the barrel. So the less pressure, slower velocity, softer bullets result in significantly less wear on the barrel. Within the limits of the bullet, casts can be as accurate as a jacketed bullet- just not as far or as fast. Considering the size of the 505 and that even with jacketed bullets, the velocity wouldn't be much more than a cast load, there is probably very little difference in performance between the two; other than the cast will be considerably cheaper and result in much less wear on the gun- a real option for shooting.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,345
Members
170,552
Latest member
allamerican37
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top