Caracal & Blue Duiker - Together or separate mounts?

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
On my most recently hunt I was fortunate enough to take nice examples of both of these. I'm now torn trying to decide between full mounts of each on their own, or a single mount including both in some sort of scene. I've looked around online and can't seem to find any existing ones that align with a rough mental model. I've seen this pic of an actual caracal on a tree branch that I'd like to roughly re-create and I think it would be really cool if it were also looking down at a blue duiker.
caracal_tree.jpeg

Has anyone seen an example of something like that that would also be possible to be a wall mount? I have studs to mount it to, just don't have a lot of floor space.

Or would I be better off just getting separate mounts?

Just me, but I’d do separate mounts. If you decide to do them together, maybe a chase scene?

I would lean towards separate mounts but I'm sure there are examples of good combo scenes. Both on the same trip is awesome. That's on my bucket list for sure and was just talking with my PH this week about both of those. Post some photos here of them both?

I chose to have mine mounted together. I shot them both on the same day in the Eastern Cape. When they gutted the caracal it had a very nice male blue duiker inside of him. That is the other reason I decided to have them mounted together. However, they are great animals and would look great however fits in your situation.

IMG_0359.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
On my most recently hunt I was fortunate enough to take nice examples of both of these. I'm now torn trying to decide between full mounts of each on their own, or a single mount including both in some sort of scene. I've looked around online and can't seem to find any existing ones that align with a rough mental model. I've seen this pic of an actual caracal on a tree branch that I'd like to roughly re-create and I think it would be really cool if it were also looking down at a blue duiker.
View attachment 547158

Has anyone seen an example of something like that that would also be possible to be a wall mount? I have studs to mount it to, just don't have a lot of floor space.

Or would I be better off just getting separate mounts?
As you are looking for examples of taxidermy, search other species. Don't limit yourself to searching "Caracal and blue duiker". That will broaden the search results.

I might try to mount the Caracal on a base of some sort, then have the duiker seperate but where you can position him as part of a scene.

I have a lion standing on a lechwe he killed. He is looking up staring off. There is a separate hyena looking around a corner that goes with and can be seperate. Also a honey badger that can get into the fray.

And a leopard with a duiker he is making a meal of. And a seperate yellow baboon that is screaming at the leopard.

Point being you can get things to work together and also separately or on their own. Gives you options for the future.

I enjoy combined mounts that tell a story. They also give a more realistic feel to nonhunters that see your taxidermy. I would mount the cat looking down at the duiker or chasing or attacking it. I plan to mount my lion standing over a hyena that it killed.

I think Gizmo from TopOf Texas posted a combo mount on here not long ago. It was outstanding, check it out if you can find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdbull

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]