Cape Grysbok hunt

MJ75

AH senior member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
99
Reaction score
31
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hunted
England, Scotland, RSA and Namibia
Has anyone ever hunted a Cape Grysbok? I see them listed on the websites of many outfitters, but never see pictures of them.

I assume the higher costs deter people? Or are they just hard species to hunt?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No they are not hard to hunt,we managed to take two in Feb this year with clients.
They are area specific and habitat specific. Very easily get pushed out by species like Impala and Common Duiker if the above are over populated. Predators on the ground and air also hammer them,this includes poachers and stray dogs.
Also common to hunt them at night in areas where the above puts pressure on them. They can also live quite close to human habitation, a few places in Port Elizabeth were I have seen them,including some secluded beaches.
 
Several folks on AH have hunted them.
Members of the Tiny 10 are "specialty" trophies and sure are not bargain priced.

They just are not hunted by first time hunters and they certainly are not as plentiful as Impala.
 
FB_IMG_1424930399810.jpg
IMG_7710229473997.jpeg
 
I'll be going after one of these sometime in the future. Almost half way to the Tiny 10 with common and blue duiker, oribi and vaal rhebok already taken.
 
I hunted them in 2007 with Johnny Vivier Safaris in the Eastern Cape. The rifle that I brought on this hunt was my .375 RUM shooting 270 grain TSX bullets at 3040 fps which I thought might be a little excessive for these little guys, so I borrowed a .308 Win with 150 gr FMJ bullets from the landowner. A fun hunt for an unusual little guy...
watermark.php

watermark.php
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Sharpes Grysbok was my downfall and my first of the tiny ten. I would have liked to have hunted the Cape this last trip, but it didn't fit in the budget. I did see one while after blue duiker.

Talked to my PH about it a fair amount planning for the future. They are there, just have to go to the right place as others have said.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,918
Members
169,643
Latest member
xs88club
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top