Can you turn a tail from a back skin into a "stuffed" tail to hang?

Sabre

AH senior member
Reaction score
Can you turn a tail from a back skin into a "stuffed" tail to hang?

I would like to hear from taxidermists or people that have done this before. Maybe @gizmo would have some advice on this.

Logically it makes sense that it would be possible, but it also seems like back skins sometimes come back in a little less nice condition than other pieces.

I will post a couple pictures I found on the site (done by gizmo) below of the end result I would be looking for and wondering if it can be achieved from tails off back skins.

Tail1.jpeg

Yes absolutely !! That's how almost all African tails start out before turning them into something else any way.

As long as it has the tail it can be done. The pics above are “fly swatters” that I made.

As long as it has the tail it can be done. The pics above are “fly swatters” that I made.

Could you give me a ballpark price of what it costs to have a "fly swatter" made? I understand if you don't want to post it publicly, if so, could you DM me with the price?

Could you give me a ballpark price of what it costs to have a "fly swatter" made? I understand if you don't want to post it publicly, if so, could you DM me with the price?
Sure. I’ll post it here. Let me get back to the office Monday and I’ll let you know!

my wife wanted the Zebra tail turned into a fly swatter so I asked my taxidermist to put a wooden handle on it so she could hang it on the wall. I guess he did not want to be bothered so he gave me some B/S about the wood would have to be fumigated , well heck the whole crate had to be fumigated so what's the problem? it did not get done.

my wife wanted the Zebra tail turned into a fly swatter so I asked my taxidermist to put a wooden handle on it so she could hang it on the wall. I guess he did not want to be bothered so he gave me some B/S about the wood would have to be fumigated , well heck the whole crate had to be fumigated so what's the problem? it did not get done.
For cheapie projects you can use replacement garden tool wooden handles. They seem to fit nicely . Then sew the tail up, cut the wooden handle where needed and viola!

I had my black wildebeast tail turned into a fly swatter.

I had Hunters & Collectors Taxidermy in Port Elizabeth do it for me on my first safari.

stik6HC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?