Can you help identify this 500 Jeffery

Rroth

Reaction score
I recently picked up this rifle from a friend and I honestly didn't know much about it when I agreed to buy it from her but the price was too good to not buy a new gun. From what I can gather it's built from a mauser 98 or 1908 but it's chambered in 500 Jeffery I was given about 15 rounds with it. Unfortunately the original owner has passed and his wife doesn't know anything
about it other than he took it on his African hunting trips, and of all the guns he had this was the only one he kept. I can get any measurements or pictures that might help figure it out or what it's worth, thanks you much

20230809_110049.jpg
20230809_110813.jpg
20230805_164429.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a Weatherby SouthGate rechambered/rebarreled to 500 Jeffery? The original Weatherby SouthGate rifles were built on FN Mauser actions. Just guessing.

Here are a few more number marks

20230809_110141.jpg
20230809_110705.jpg
20230806_123354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a Weatherby SouthGate rechambered/rebarreled to 500 Jeffery? The original Weatherby SouthGate rifles were built on FN Mauser actions. Just guessing.
I don't see anything referencing weatherby, would I find any makers mark on the wood itself, maybe under the action. I posted a few more pictures but I think it's the Brazilian model 1908

How many cartridges does the magazine hold. I would think it would be 2

Thanks

I concur with 93marlin in declaring it a DWM 1908. I dare to add that the crest is Brazilian, consisting with the DWM origin. Please compare with the images on Liberty Tree Collectors site.
I don't dare to add words about the sporterization that, according to the pictures seems to have done at the rules of the art.
Congratulations to the happy owner!

@93marlin and @ofbiro are pinpoint accurate. It's a DWM 1908 pattern military surplus Mauser action built between 1908-1914.

Now, in regards to the rifle. I'm led to believe that this was the work of an American custom gunsmith in the late 1980s-early 1990s due to the presence of the muzzle brake (which was unfortunately very popular amongst American hunters at the time).

The stock is very similar to my 1967 manufactured Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser (which was owned by Interarms at the time).
C71FC2A4-1C2A-441B-8398-4AAFAF499488.jpeg

Last edited:
I might add, that the action itself looks like it's numerical identical. Maybe even the bolt and cooking peace (which is good)
Only the floor plate has a different number.

Indeed a very fine Mauser action :)

The B and B means made for Brazil and exported/ acceptance stamp there .

Mine 1908 action just have one B , ie never sent to Brazil at all .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graham993

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]