Can a single species save an entire ecosystem?

Hoas

AH fanatic
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
992
Reaction score
2,802
Media
603
Articles
302
CAN A SINGLE SPECIES SAVE AN ENTIRE ECOSYSTEM?

The story of the mountain nyala of Ethiopia is an interesting one. In September of 1910 the English naturalist Rich Lydekker received word from a Piccadilly taxidermist Mr. Rowland Ward. He reported that the skin, scull and horns of an unknown kudu-like antelope had been brought into his taxidermy shop. The animal had been shot in the Abyssinian Highlands by a Mr. Ivor Buxton earlier that year. It appeared to be a cross between an nyala and a kudu and it was suggested that it be known as the spotted kudu.

Lydekker received the donated specimen on behalf of the British Museum and gave it the Latin name Tragelaphus buxtoni. He thought that it looked more like an nyala than a kudu and decided on mountain nyala for it’s common name. Little did he know at the time that the link between this species and safari hunting would be responsible for the preservation of Afro-montane woodland in central Ethiopia in the 21st century.

This 5-minute documentary follows this story and is an abridged version of the full 30-minute documentary.

The Mountain Nyala Of Ethiopia by Hoas posted Jun 29, 2018 at 5:36 PM


Source: The Conservation Imperative
 
Thanks for sharing! A little history lesson in the morning is a great way to start the day.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,153
Members
169,497
Latest member
FerdinandL
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top