Bullet performance in Niassa

DAVE LANGERMAN Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2025
AH veteran
Joined
Mar 17, 2017
Messages
119
Reaction score
387
Location
Zimbabwe / Mozambique
Website
www.davelangermansafaris.com
Media
9
Member of
APHA, ZPGA
Hi Guys
I've just done a safari in Niassa where my client took 2 wonderful old buff (with his 500 double) and a very nice leopard. He shot the cat with a 300 grain RWS cone point in .375. The shot whistled through as you might expect, and I recovered what was left of the bullet in the tree trunk. I know this is all moot as the cat was stone dead under the tree but the remains of the bullet got me thinking I wouldn't want to use it on a buff. It appears to me to be quite frangible, despite being a 300 grainer. Any one used this combo on buff before and what was the outcome? I understand RWS to be quality kit. Thoughts?

Have attached a photo of what was left of the bullet and also that of a muzzle loaders projectile that we recovered from the first buff.
recovered bullets.jpg
 
I have used the RWS cone point bullets in smaller cartridges, 7mm mostly. I have confidence in them for smaller plains game and deer size animals but not the big stuff. They seem to behave like any good cup and core design non-bonded bullet, and are not especially tough. They are some of the most accurate bullets available that I have tried in my rifles. I have never used them in a .375H&H. My very limited experience would agree with the choice of .375 / 300 grain cone point for leopard, but not for buffalo.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,425
Messages
1,575,761
Members
170,388
Latest member
KieraLehma
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top