Buffalo Question…

Carbon300

Reaction score
Hello there, first of all I’d like to thank everyone here for all of the information you’ve provided on this website. I recently returned from my first trip to africa for plains game and have been obsessed with returning since my flight left…
I would like to go for buffalo next and wanted to ask for recommendations. I know that I’d like to hunt them in thick bush, but that’s about it. It seems like northern Mozambique might be a good choice, but there may be some safety issues there. Does anyone have a reputable outfitter they’d recommend? Any experiences?

I enjoyed my trip last year with these folks:

Hello there, first of all I’d like to thank everyone here for all of the information you’ve provided on this website. I recently returned from my first trip to africa for plains game and have been obsessed with returning since my flight left…
I would like to go for buffalo next and wanted to ask for recommendations. I know that I’d like to hunt them in thick bush, but that’s about it. It seems like northern Mozambique might be a good choice, but there may be some safety issues there. Does anyone have a reputable outfitter they’d recommend? Any experiences?
Don't underestimate zimbabwe either there are plenty of bushes there too.

Don't underestimate zimbabwe either there are plenty of bushes there too.
I’ve considered them, but the prices I’m seeing seem much higher than Mozambique. Don’t mind paying for quality though…

I’ve considered them, but the prices I’m seeing seem much higher than Mozambique. Don’t mind paying for quality though…
I am not sure where you are looking but most hunts I have looked at between the two countries have been more affordable in zimbabwe. Though as we all know prices vary depending on where you are looking.

My hunt in dande in Zambezi valley Zimbabwe couldn’t have been better. We were always within a couple miles of Mozambique or along border.

Most Zimbabwe buffalo hunts seem to be $13k-$15k. When comparing Mozambique prices also look at if air charters are required and VAT tax.

You could not go wrong hunting buffalo in the Save Valley in Zimbabwe. It would be a great wild Africa experience at an affordable price.

BVC Zimbabwe...

I would call TSALA where I went in July 2021 taking a 43+ with nice boss. Great stalk hunt in SA for under $9K. Experience was awesome!!!

I would lean toward Zim for your first buffalo hunt. The Zambezi valley is an outstanding area. I hunted Dande but will likely try to hunt Nyakasanga next time. I enjoyed hunting the Save as well, but the valley is a little more remote, which is what I’m after.

If you really like remote areas, consider the Upper Luangwa in Zambia. Outstanding genetics in a truly remote area.

I would call TSALA where I went in July 2021 taking a 43+ with nice boss. Great stalk hunt in SA for under $9K. Experience was awesome!!!
I would second that. It’s all in how it’s done and tracking one up in the thick stuff is the right way and how Tsala does it.

It seems like northern Mozambique might be a good choice, but there may be some safety issues there. Does anyone have a reputable outfitter they’d recommend? Any experiences?
In addition to the AH Sponsor Outfitters who operate in Zimbabwe and Mozambique
(go to the menu bar at the top, click the drop down menu and click on sponsors)

I would also look at the following outfits who have proven to consistently offer top quality experiences, excellent success rates and very good trophy quality in large, wild areas.

Mokore Safaris
http://mokoresafaris.com/

CMS (Charlton McCallum Safaris)
http://www.cmsafaris.com/

John Sharp Safaris
https://www.johnsharpsafaris.com/

Dave Langerman Safaris
https://www.davelangermansafaris.com/

Mashambanzou Safaris
https://www.mashambanzousafaris.com/

There are plenty more great outfitters in Zim and Moz, these are just a few that come immediately to mind.
My limited experience has been that comparable (?) hunts for buffalo will be a little less expensive in Zim than in Moz and travel to Zim has been a bit more hassle free. However I will happily hunt in either Zimbabwe or Mozambique.

Last edited:
I would lean toward Zim for your first buffalo hunt. The Zambezi valley is an outstanding area. I hunted Dande but will likely try to hunt Nyakasanga next time.
There is a CMS cancellation at Nyakasanga that will save you considerable amount of $$$ on the daily rates this year. Tuskless was sold, but buffalo is still available I think. Reach out to Buzz.

Please do it, I am tempted to add it as a second buffalo to my buffalo/tuskless hunt there. :ROFLMAO:

What you see from IdaRam are all excellent choices without question. Two questions you need to answer. 1. What kind of experience do you want? 2. What is your budget. Booking a hunt in Zim, Bots or Moz is awesome but you will pay 1.5 to 2X the hunt of a hunt in SA. It is a different experience to many just not to me. The quality of the hunt is all that matters to me not fences but I respect those who think differently which is the beauty of our forum

...What is your budget. Booking a hunt in Zim, Bots or Moz is awesome but you will pay 1.5 to 2X the hunt of a hunt in SA. It is a different experience to many just not to me. The quality of the hunt is all that matters to me not fences but I respect those who think differently which is the beauty of our forum
It is a different experience for sure. Hunting DG at free range countries is a lot different than hunting them in RSA. DG hunt in RSA is an oxymoron.

For PG, from what I hear, RSA is great and affordable.

From what I have always been told Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Tanzania are excellent places for the more traditional African safari.

I don’t think you could go wrong with those countries.

I just remembered Uganda, I have watched some hunts from there. That might be another place to look into.

It is a different experience for sure. Hunting DG at free range countries is a lot different than hunting them in RSA. DG hunt in RSA is an oxymoron.

I actually think a buffalo hunt in RSA could potentially be more dangerous than a truly wild hunt. In a smaller fenced area you have taken away their primary defense mechanism, heading for the next county! I’d be interested in the PH’s POV, but I’ve heard a number of stories of unprovoked buffalo charges in RSA, something I haven’t seen in my travels in the more remote areas.

I will never be a hypocrite…hate that. I had an awesome experience in SA but in 23 going to Zim for my second buff. As @Tanks says I am anticipating a different experience and know I am paying a higher cost for it. Plus @Tanks got me hooked on a tuskless elephant hunt. Lol!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joie026513

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.