Boyd's Stock For JC Higgins Model 50

CJW

AH legend
Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Messages
2,518
Reaction score
5,712
Media
11
Articles
1
Boyd's laminate stock for JC Higgins model 50. 14 1/4" lop. I cut off a 1.5" or so chunk of the forend and tapered it instead of the 90 degree end it came with. I finish sanded it and sealed it with three coats of tru oil. It was hunted in Africa for 10 days so it does have some blemishes but nothing major. Limbsaver recoil pad. Fleur-de-lis checkering.

$220 shipped.

20211208_172936.jpg

20211208_173015.jpg
 
For those that don't know, the JC Higgins we built on a FN mauser action. It should fit most large ring mauser 98 actions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
I thought they only made shotguns! I believe Sears used to sell 'em, as I borrowed a neighbor's JC Higgins 12 ga pump (sales were helped with Ted Williams-edition, the baseball player/outdoorsman.) Dropped quite a few ducks/geese w/ that and 2 3/4" magnums just prior to the advent of steel shot, not over water but in farmfields adjacent to it. 'Had no idea they sold rifles as well. Back in the days when most hardware stores also sold guns.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
As Azdave noted the J.C. Higgins Model 50 was built on an FN Supreme action. There was also a Model 51, same barreled action but in a nicer stock; a little better wood, checkered and with a cheek piece. These were sold by Sears in the early mid to late '50s. There were only two calibers available, 270 and 30-06; High Standard supplied the chrome lined barrels. When FN's prices went up, Sears switched to Sako actions and changed the Model numbers.

Years ago I had a Model 50 and stupidly sold or traded it for something, then a few years ago I picked up a Model 51, both 30-06. Excellent guns, very accurate, just need to add a nicer trigger like a Timney.

Because of the Sears association, prices on the Model 50 and 51 are often much lower than the actual quality of the guns. If you see one sitting in a shop at an decent price, don't hesitate to buy it, you won't regret it.

Best regards,
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
I just realized that I really took the OP's classified ad of course, and I apologize.

Best regards,
 
  • Like
Reactions: CJW
The Model 50 that I had, had a two piece trigger arrangement that resulted in different inletting between the magazine box and rear action screw. Could you take a photo , vertically showing the inletting?
 
Thank you, unfortunately, that is what I feared. To fit my trigger a bunch of the wood would need to be removed, then a bunch of epoxy added and cross bolts behind the magazine for reinforcement. Nice stock though.
 
Thx for responding. While looking more closely at the pictures I realized this was a rt handed stock. Initially I thought it was their generic one. I shoot lefty. good luck
 
Thank you, unfortunately, that is what I feared. To fit my trigger a bunch of the wood would need to be removed, then a bunch of epoxy added and cross bolts behind the magazine for reinforcement. Nice stock though.
You shouldn't need crossbolts with a laminated stock. I've never heard of one of those coming apart from recoil. Almost as indestructible as synthetic but not as flexible.
 
So who was J.C. Higgins? Turns out he was just some guy at the plant. Building maintenance or millright or something like that. Someone in marketing met him and thought the name sounded cool. True story.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,420
Messages
1,575,659
Members
170,371
Latest member
CharmainSa
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top