Bowhunting Bushbuck

Adipose

AH member
Reaction score
Bushbuck certainly is at the top of my list of African game animals. These things are beautiful, smart and pretty tough little animals. I remember going on 7 safari's before I ever even had the chance to see an adult male, and that was 25 years ago. Back then the area I hunted there wasn't many and they were not raised like other species, they were all wild like the Duiker, Springbuck and warthog. If you saw one it was an honor and a big stroke of luck to get within bow range. Here is a pic of my first and only Bushbuck from 25 years ago. A broomed down old battle scar male that meant the world to me. I was lucky as the rainy season was late that year, the grass was still tall and green and the spot and stock and blinds were tough hunting. Bushbuck is high on my list again for next year. I see so many pics of these amazing nice tall antlered animals, I hope to have one cross my path again. Post some pics of your bushbucks and stories.
Image_20240802_0004.jpg
Image_20240802_0003.jpg

I killed a nice nyala 20minutes into the first day of a hunt. Outfitter told me if I had patience there was a nice bushbuck in the area. About 2:30 that afternoon this buck and a doe came into my waterhole. He presented me with a broadside shot and it was over.

Attachments

• 101_0032.jpeg
    101_0032.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
I killed a nice nyala 20minutes into the first day of a hunt. Outfitter told me if I had patience there was a nice bushbuck in the area. About 2:30 that afternoon this buck and a doe came into my waterhole. He presented me with a broadside shot and it was over.
That is a beauty! Just look at that face! those great white markings, the narrow nose and great horns! What a trophy!

Here is my first and only Bushbuck so far. We hunted these amazing animals sitting near thick cover in the evenings waiting for them to filter out and feed. They are very wary and elusive animals. We watched several females and young males on multiple sits. I was lucky one cold evening for this old male to step out just before dark and show himself. He was an old bruiser battle scarred and all. I am now addicted and want to hunt more of these elusive animals.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Here is my first and only Bushbuck so far. We hunted these amazing animals sitting near thick cover in the evenings waiting for them to filter out and feed. They are very wary and elusive animals. We watched several females and young males on multiple sits. I was lucky one cold evening for this old male to step out just before dark and show himself. He was an old bruiser battle scarred and all. I am now addicted and want to hunt more of these elusive animals.
That is one awesome Bushbuck. Great character and mass, I love every one of these guys. Boy they love the thick stuff and I agree, evenings seems to be the Bushbuck hour. Very nice animal!

Bushbuck certainly is at the top of my list of African game animals. These things are beautiful, smart and pretty tough little animals. I remember going on 7 safari's before I ever even had the chance to see an adult male, and that was 25 years ago. Back then the area I hunted there wasn't many and they were not raised like other species, they were all wild like the Duiker, Springbuck and warthog. If you saw one it was an honor and a big stroke of luck to get within bow range. Here is a pic of my first and only Bushbuck from 25 years ago. A broomed down old battle scar male that meant the world to me. I was lucky as the rainy season was late that year, the grass was still tall and green and the spot and stock and blinds were tough hunting. Bushbuck is high on my list again for next year. I see so many pics of these amazing nice tall antlered animals, I hope to have one cross my path again. Post some pics of your bushbucks and stories.View attachment 623651
Love all the scars on him. Bushbuck was very high on my list for my first hunt in Limpopo, and I shot a nice one along the Limpopo River. I've shot several different bushbuck throughout all my hunts and plan to try and target one next year in Zambia.

Bushbuck are one of my favorite plains game animals to hunt. Them and Kudu are always on the menu wherever I hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archer E Hunt

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available