Bowhunting Africa from a Blind or tree stand, do it!

Adipose

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This is my view for those that may be thinking about bowhunting in Africa. There are many ways to hunt in Africa and with many different weapons. You can hunt from a truck, spot and stock, drive around until you see something then try to stalk, night hunting with a light, bait, water holes etc etc etc. They all work, and they are all legal and I am fine with that.
This post is just about one method, Bowhunting from a ground blind, elevated blind or a tree stand. I have been hunting for about 50 years, and bow hunting in Africa for about 30. I primarily hunt with a bow when I travel, but I have hunted with a shotgun, rifles, muzzleloader and a crossbow. I have spent numerous hours on a stand with all weapons, but there is just something about the bow that I love best. I have seen post's about what it is like sitting in a blind bowhunting, but they have been from gun hunters who have never done it, and sometimes attempting to deter someone from actually trying it. If you are a bowhunter I can say try it, you will be blown away.
Most days on stand I have seen hundreds of animals. When you have a group of 20-80 impala come in, you get to see all stages of the animals life. The amount of knowledge you gain judging size, color and age of all species is fantastic. You learn who rules the roost and who comes around last. You can see the attitude of the birds and other animals when something big is approaching. I was never a bird watcher, but the ginnie hens, go away birds and others are your friend.
Keep in mind you are seeing animals at 15 yards. When you have kudu, wildebeest, cape Buffalo, warthogs etc all at one time a mere feet from you it is an experience that is hard to describe. You learn to hear the clicks of the Eland even before you can see them, the grunts of wildebeest as they are on their way, the area clears as the jackle comes into view. What an experience.
I have seen kick down awesome fights between males especially impala. I have watched warthogs making bacon, and a waterbuck bull romance a female for over an hour only to have his way, then quickly when it was over head to a shaded spot and lay down as if she never existed. Bet he would have had a smoke if he could have. A giraffe walking by at eye level when you are in an elevated blind, a Buff scratching his back on the tree your in, monkeys flipping out as a mamba is going across the treetops.
If you are a bowhunter you know what I mean. We watch and listen to everything around us, and everything acts like a damn red squirrel in Africa when something is coming in. You will see things all day that keep you entertained and it is the most exciting bow hunt ever.
I have had the chance to hunt from straw ground blinds, temporary blinds, tree stands, pitblinds, elevated blinds and more. I have loved every minute, and cannot wait for more. Many outfitters in Africa are bowhunters and understand what we are looking for. Don't give up the dream, its even better than you have heard. Talk to bowhunters, and PH's that bowhunt. It is truly the best time you can have with a bow in your hands!

I’m with ya bro !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renqizhihuo032

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?