Bontebok and Mountain Zebra Import Status?

traviselmore

AH member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
25
Media
14
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hey guys, Headed for on my 4th safari in May and wanted to see if you all knew what the current import status of Bontebok and Hartman's Mountain Zebra (hunted in SA) was? I know Bontebok had been backed up the last year or so and wasn't sure if Hartman's mountain zebra were importable to the U.S. at this time? Thanks in advance for the help.
 
You can import Hartman's zebra . Who ever exports your trophies will pull a permit for it after you have taken it. The permit is an extra $100.00.
Bontebok you must apply for permit before you leave the US. If successful it will generally take about 8 months to see the permit if it gets approved. The permit is also open for public comment before you can get it. Strange I know, but that is how it works. You can get a permit for Bontebok after you have shot it , by the rules. But I have never seen it happen yet. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I personally haven't seen it !
 
Both are CITES Appendix II.
They require Export permits from the country of origin.

Since you have to deal with the US Government. They want their own little piece of paper as well.
NOt to be confused with CITE Appendix I species that require an CITES Import Permit.


Common name: Bontebok
Scientific name: Damaliscus pygargus pygargus
Synonym:Damaliscus dorcas dorcas
Distribution: South Africa
CITES listing: Appendix II (06/06/1981)

Common name: Hartmann's Mountain Zebra
Scientific name: Equus zebra hartmannae
Distribution: Namibia, South Africa
CITES listing: Appendix II (28/06/1979)
Photo: © Peter Dollinger (taken at Etosha National Park, Namibia)


Other threads on the topic.



 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,538
Latest member
AntjeI3318
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top