Bob Nelson I sold my .243!

@TMac... Pssst... I have a single shot .243 I hope to hunt with soon. I took it to Sitka last fall but didn't have any shot opportunities. It shoots 85 grain Barnes TSXs really well. He may not be able to convert me away from it. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

@TMac... Pssst... I have a single shot .243 I hope to hunt with soon. I took it to Sitka last fall but didn't have any shot opportunities. It shoots 85 grain Barnes TSXs really well. He may not be able to convert me away from it. It's a lot of fun to shoot.
Yes they are. That’s a good bullet too. But for that area, is it bear free?

It was not bear free down around Sitka, no. I was hunting with a friend who had a bigger rifle. It was also late in the year and the bears were headed down or down.

P1060394.JPG

@leslie hetrick
The 358 is an under appreciated and under loved cartridge unfortunately but it punches well above its weight. Using Paco Kelly's loads turns it into a real beast that gives Remington factory loaded 35 Whelen loads a shake up.
Bob
Agreed. I regret selling a Savage 99 in 358. But he wanted it much much much $$$ more than I wanted to keep it. Still have my BLR in 358. It hits hard with 225’s and 250’s.

I put a 243 Win in my stable a few years ago. After working up a load using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX that is about 50 gos faster than the Barnes factory loads using the same bullet, it is a wonderful rifle for Deer and Antelope here in the US. Great for coyotes as well but I have a number of calibers, including my all time favorite, the 220 Swift for varmint hunting.
My 7mm RUM is my dedicated big game rifle here in the US but the 243 Win definitely has its place in my stable.

Well I was thinking of using my big bore again this year for deer season, but I think I'll shoot the .243 for the season now. I'm hearing great things about the Speer 85gr HP one guy swears by them. All kidding aside I have a line on 103gr ELD-X that should work great.

Well I was thinking of using my big bore again this year for deer season, but I think I'll shoot the .243 for the season now. I'm hearing great things about the Speer 85gr HP one guy swears by them. All kidding aside I have a line on 103gr ELD-X that should work great.
@Forrest Halley
A 243 with a 103gn ELDX loaded to 2,700fps if your lucky will be about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. Stick with you LOTT.
Bob

I loaded Speer 105. spitzers to 3000 fps One shot kill on two elk Now I hunt elk with my 500 Jeffery. They don't get up.
@colorado
The 2 243s I loaded for mates were struggling to get 2,800fps with 100gn and that was max loads and a 22 inch barrel.
Bob

I guess I had a fast barrel I can only remember I used IMR 4350 can't remember the load it was a long time ago. Also I only had a Lee Loader, so I think the cases were only neck sized.
@colorado
I tried both H4831SC and H4350 and could only get 2,800fps with Max loads.
Bob

I was able to get 2920 with H1000 and 105gr A Max...but then the bullets bounced off the targets back into the cases as a laughing kangaroo appeared and took a long pull off a bottle and then staggered off laughing. Part of this story is true.
"took a long pull off a bottle"...... of Bud Light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruthie0197

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]