Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen the .243 is gone. I know your opinion but it was a good rifle for us. I initially bought it as a coyote rifle that my wife could use for deer when/if she decided to start hunting. She finally did start deer hunting in 2017 and for 3 seasons in a row she shot her whitetails with it like she’d been doing it all her life. Then in 2020 she decided to use my 7mm RM for her first mule deer hunt. She got her mulie with it as well as her next 3 whitetails and now says the 7 mag is her gun and I can have my .243 back! For myself, I’m the biggest .308 fan there is and also have loved the 7 mag since I bought one in my 20s. So naturally I’ve been obsessed now for a few years with the idea that a 7mm-08 would be the best of both worlds. Her claiming one of my two main hunting rifles finally pushed me to get one but that meant another gun must go and the .243 was the one. So a couple weeks ago I ordered a Browning X-Bolt Hunter that should be arriving any day now. I’m excited to try a new for me calibre even though the .243 served well.

Bob: converting the world one .243 at a time. Maybe he should come up with a .243 buy-back program. Maybe offer cash off a .35 Whelen purchase? Just spit-balling here...

Bob: converting the world one .243 at a time. Maybe he should come up with a .243 buy-back program. Maybe offer cash off a .35 Whelen purchase? Just spit-balling here...
Dad still has one. When he’s done hunting it might come to live with me!

Oh noes, what are you going to use for an elk rifle!
Either the .308, 7-08 or the 7 mag. It’s still mine…she just thinks it’s hers!!!

Come on… You’re married, you KNOW the 7 mag is now hers!
Yeah I like deluding myself. But if I ask nice she’ll let me use it. I hope.

1681243202352.gif

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen dancing of joy. :ROFLMAO:

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen the .243 is gone. I know your opinion but it was a good rifle for us. I initially bought it as a coyote rifle that my wife could use for deer when/if she decided to start hunting. She finally did start deer hunting in 2017 and for 3 seasons in a row she shot her whitetails with it like she’d been doing it all her life. Then in 2020 she decided to use my 7mm RM for her first mule deer hunt. She got her mulie with it as well as her next 3 whitetails and now says the 7 mag is her gun and I can have my .243 back! For myself, I’m the biggest .308 fan there is and also have loved the 7 mag since I bought one in my 20s. So naturally I’ve been obsessed now for a few years with the idea that a 7mm-08 would be the best of both worlds. Her claiming one of my two main hunting rifles finally pushed me to get one but that meant another gun must go and the .243 was the one. So a couple weeks ago I ordered a Browning X-Bolt Hunter that should be arriving any day now. I’m excited to try a new for me calibre even though the .243 served well.
@Ragman
I'm glad your wife found a use for the 243 but I never will. The 7mms are great rounds that will see you both happy for years to come.
Bob

Don't tell Bob, but I got my first two elk in Montana with a BDL in 243. I traded up to a BDL in 270 when I started out as assistant guide in the "Bob" outfitter said I needed a bigger gun :)
@colorado
What did you have a slice of bread tied on the muzzle and when they started eating it you shot them
Ha ha ha ha ha
Not a big fan of the 270 either when a fast 25 will do everything it will.
Bob

@Tundra Tiger
Easier to ban gun shops from selling any 243s in any form
Bob

@Ragman
When it comes to live with you rebarrel it to 358 win or a fast twist 22 barrel in 22-250.
Bob
Have no need for a .22-250 but that .358 idea really got me thinking now. Is that feasible on a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle?

@colorado
What did you have a slice of bread tied on the muzzle and when they started eating it you shot them
Ha ha ha ha ha
Not a big fan of the 270 either when a fast 25 will do everything it will.
Bob

I have no issues with the 243 or 25s but I finished off two grizzlies that client's had wounded, killed 7 black bears and a couple of dozen elk with that 270 . Gave it to my son about 10 years ago after hunting with it for 40 years and he got his first elk with it.

gBLqnhB.jpg

I have no issues with the 243 or 25s but I finished off two grizzlies that client's had wounded, killed 7 black bears and a couple of dozen elk with that 270 . Gave it to my son about 10 years ago after hunting with it for 40 years and he got his first elk with it.

gBLqnhB.jpg
The .270 is a fantastic round. Watched my buddy’s wife kill a giant moose with one. I regret selling mine. It was a beautiful Ruger #1.

Have no need for a .22-250 but that .358 idea really got me thinking now. Is that feasible on a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle?

Everything is possible on a handi rifle… I have rebarreled and rechambered a lot of them… fun little inexpensive guns to play with… just gotta find an appropriate barrel to start with and you’d be good to go…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChuWnz1204

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]