Blaser R8 Bolt Question

jbirdwell

AH enthusiast
Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
437
Reaction score
825
Location
Texas
Media
10
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC
Hunted
US, South Africa
My current R8 barrel setup is 375 H&H, 300 Wby, and 22 Hornet. I’m going to eventually get a barrel in 6.5x55 to round out my hunt anything-anywhere setup. But back to the question. Even though the 375 H&H & 300 Wby can use the same bolt head, would it be better if they each had their own dedicated bolt head? For some reason, I’m thinking wear in could possibly be a problem. Any opinions or what other people do?
 
My current R8 barrel setup is 375 H&H, 300 Wby, and 22 Hornet. I’m going to eventually get a barrel in 6.5x55 to round out my hunt anything-anywhere setup. But back to the question. Even though the 375 H&H & 300 Wby can use the same bolt head, would it be better if they each had their own dedicated bolt head? For some reason, I’m thinking wear in could possibly be a problem. Any opinions or what other people do?
Run what you have, no need to over think it. With the way the bolt is designed, you are not going to have any problems IMHO.
 
Run what you have, no need to over think it. With the way the bolt is designed, you are not going to have any problems IMHO.
Thanks for the info
 
Oh, the Hornet sounds sweet!

Only reason for 2 magnum bolt heads is if you run a 2nd chassis.

That does allow separate 300 and 375 rifles... (it never ends!)
 
Why not go with a 257WBY instead of the 6.5x55 and use the same MA bolt head for all three?
 
Why not go with a 257WBY instead of the 6.5x55 and use the same MA bolt head for all three?
I’ve thought about the 257 Wby or the 270 WSM but I have a soft spot for the 6.5x55. It’s been one of my favorite calibers for over 30 years, that along with the 35 Whelen and 300 Wby.
 
I haven't been able to detect any accuracy change when I use a different MA or ST bolt face or when I use a different whole bolt assembly. I’ll swap the whole action between two R8’s and they still shoot the same.
I also don’t think you will wear a bolt face out.
 
I've swapped bolt assemblies between my wife's rifle and mine with no change in POI.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,288
Messages
1,571,762
Members
169,410
Latest member
tealish
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top