Big bore ammo on classifieds... is it scarce?

Datchew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
School of hard knocks
Hunted
Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine, Tennessee
I see a lot of 375 and up on the classifieds from time to time.
Are these hard to find routinely or are people just cleaning up shelves?

I'm currently 300 and below and handload but soon stepping up for Africa.
Worthwhile to start grabbing some when i see it available?

Is brass scarce if I wanted to cast my own boolits in 375 or 404?

.375 H&H is easy.

.404 is another story.
404 is scarce. PM’d another member last week for a rifle purchase and ended up with over 100 pieces of new brass and some Barnes bullets!

If you can find it, buy it!

Good score on the 404Jeffery components. They are definitely hard to come by right now.

Depends on round and individual load so just be aware when you buy one.

I wish I could find Hornady 470NE 500 gr both solid I soft nose. If anyone knows please please let me know.

.375 H&H is easy.

.404 is another story.
I walked in a local shop a couple weeks ago to look at a rifle I saw on gunbroker. When walking out I almost tore my ACL as I put on the brakes. I grabbed the box and told the cashier I wish they had a case of this. She said she thought they had some more boxes in the cabinet! Lies, nothing but lies! . I have plenty of components, but still bought it!

653EDE44-283C-4CC5-B2B2-4A4A7CA998CB.jpeg
49294E76-BB97-4199-86A2-D9B7BBEA7489.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 10.00.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 10.00.39 AM.png
    723.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 10.00.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 10.00.40 AM.png
    847.5 KB · Views: 29

If you reload as I do you are absolutely fine! I have not had a problem getting components. However, when I see a deal such as primers I do load up knowing there can be scarcity at any time. Getting fully loaded ammo is a hit or miss proposition in my opinon.

Precision reloading has 404 Barnes banded solids if anyone is looking.

One reason some cases/bullets are harder to find than others is a manufactures desire to simplify production. the preponderance of current rifle ammunition is based on three basic head sizes, parent cartridges .222, 7mm, Belted Magnum. and the common bullet diameters. The 404J has a larger diameter head and also a non-common bullet diameter so there are no other common cartridges, meaning that a manufacturer needs to set up the machinery specifically for the 404J and .423" bullets and if there isn't a perceived demand for them, the cartridges won't be made.

thanks all. Appreciate the guidance. Sounds like 375 is reasonably available when i'm ready.
I'll probably do my typical path when i step up to 375; buy a 100+ of identical factory and hunt pigs or deer to fireform to chamber and then "roll my own" with cast boolits.

I do love modern cup & core (150 gr accubond in 308 is a favorite for deer) but for big bore, I'll stick with solid hardcast lead as God intended for Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?