Best Wet Weather/Mountain Boots?

Yvain1180

AH member
Reaction score
My father recently got a house in a mountainous region of Colorado, and as he will now be spending a good portion of the year there I would like to get him a nice pair of boots. He/my family have lived in Houston, TX for a little over 20 years (basically my whole life) so he does not have any suitable footwear (none that are nice at least). He has become very picky about shoes in recent years (I believe mainly about needing a wide toe box), and he deserves something that will be equal parts comfortable and durable. I therefore need to lean on your experience in these matters, as I have little myself.

Before going any further, I know that if I just want to get the best possible mountain boot I should just buy Kenetrek and be done with it, however I am sure many of you will understand when I say I want these boots to be meaningful in lasting way (looking at you, double-rifle enthusiasts). I want to get something that is equally comfortable trekking across snow-covered slopes as it is puttering around the local grocery store, something which can be kicked off after a long day and admired as one sits by the fire (sorry if I sound pretentious there).

TLDR; Das Boot

I have found a number of boots that seem suitable, and will include their make and model for reference, as well as a link to the boot directly. If you would be so kind as to share your thoughts or experiences, or better yet any recommendations you might have, they would be greatly appreciated. Below are the boots, listed in order of most to least expensive.

Yuketen Salvia - these boots seem like they are extremely high quality and could crush the Himalayas, however I can find very little on them as it is an obscure brand, not to mention they are tied for being the most expensive.

Crockett & Jones Ross / Grizedale - I know C&J makes fantastic shoes, and these boots certainly look the part and have glowing reviews, my only question is whether they have the durability of some of the comparable boots available.

Le Majordome M23 Apron Front Boot - These are the most gorgeous thing I have ever laid eyes upon, and from what the website says they sound like exactly what I am looking for, but again nothing else to go on since there are no reviews I could find.

Grenson Brady - Change of pace here, as these are popular boots and all the literature I can find say they are perfect cold weather boots. Only thing I would be worried about is snow, though maybe someone can alleviate that for me.

Cheaney Ingleborough - Another pair of gorgeous boots that seem to fit the bill, again no literature available.

Velasca Resegott - Slightly less boot, however very handsome and has glowing reviews that tick all the boxes I am looking for.

Loake Hiker - These might not be substantial enough, however it seems like people use them for Michigan winters so I can't imagine they would be that unsuitable.

Again, any advice, experience, or insight is extremely appreciated.

Signed, someone trying to be a decent son.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.53.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.53.46 AM.png
    811.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.53.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.53.47 AM.png
    580.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.06 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.08 AM.png
    913.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.21 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.23 AM.png
    540.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.34 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.35 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.49 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.54.50 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.02 AM.png
    783.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.04 AM.png
    992.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.20 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.21 AM.png
    957.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.39 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.55.40 AM.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 52
Your first thought was the best, just get him a pair of Kenetreks. Mine have more miles than I want to remember on them and show little wear on the uppers or soles. Can't beat them for traction in snow, mud, or rocks, chasing elk and deer in our mountains. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I have the same need for a wide toe box.
If he is picky about footwear, buying a more expensive boot, that isn't as good in use, won't achieve that meaningful lasting effect you're looking for. If you want something he will get years of use out of and thank you for giving him, get him a pair of Kenetreks.

Lundhags.

Lundhags offer a repair service and will resole when needed. Back in the '90s, the Royal Marines would throw away their issued boots and buy themselves a pair of these. I have had a pair since the late '80s which are still in working order.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.52 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.55 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 6.59.57 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
No matter which boot you get, make sure along with a wide toe box he requires that there is a little more than a thumbs width extra length in the toe area. When hiking down hill on rocks your don't want your big toe to repeatedly run into the front of the boot. You will loose toe nails and be hobbling around for days. I would take him to both a mountaineering shop and have him try all the boots, then a big outdoor hunting store, Scheels, or sportsmen warehouse, and again try all the boots then decide which fits best and more importantly what he will like.

“It depends”….

What activities will he participate in? To what degree of difficulty? And define “mountainous”…

I’ve got a cabin and some land in southern Colorado… the cabin is at 9200 feet in elevation (at the high end of sub-alpine)… the surrounding terrain is certainly hilly, and can be steep in a few places.. but there isn’t more than another 500 feet in elevation in any direction for several miles… it’s snow covered about 5 months out of the year…

Very different than having a place sitting at 7000 feet, but on the side of one of the 14,000 foot mountains where things would be much more steep, much more rocky, etc and where snow might be present 12 months out of the year if he walks uphill a bit..

For me, 7-8 months out of the year, any decent hiking boot gets the job done well… the remaining 4-5 months require something better designed for cold,snow, slippery conditions, etc..

All year round something with very good ankle support and an adequate toe box (length and width) is very helpful…

If you’re looking for something fancy to wear when going into town for the day, any of the boots you listed will work great I am sure…

But if you’re looking for something for him to wear that will perform while out hunting, walking his property in the dead of winter, doing chores on the mountain, etc… I’d be looking at options from danner, kenetrek, and the like…

Last edited:
DANNER, Canadian boots, made in Portland/Oregon, bought from me in the USA, but it should be easier for you to find good boots in the States, than for me as Frenchman to buy there boots.

65.jpg

“It depends”….

What activities will he participate in? To what degree of difficulty? And define “mountainous”…

I’ve got a cabin and some land in southern Colorado… the cabin is at 9200 feet in elevation (at the high end of sub-alpine)… the surrounding terrain is certainly hilly, and can be steep in a few places.. but there isn’t more than another 500 feet in elevation in any direction for several miles… it’s snow covered about 5 months out of the year…

Very different than having a place sitting at 7000 feet, but on the side of one of the 14,000 foot mountains where things would be much more steep, much more rocky, etc and where snow might be present 12 months out of the year if he walks uphill a bit..

For me, 7-8 months out of the year, any decent hiking boot gets the job done well… the remaining 4-5 months require something better designed for cold,snow, slippery conditions, etc..

All year round something with very good ankle support and an adequate toe box (length and width) is very helpful…

If you’re looking for something fancy to wear when going into town for the day, any of the boots you listed will work great I am sure…

But if you’re looking for something for him to wear that will perform while out hunting, walking his property in the dead of winter, doing chores on the mountain, etc… I’d be looking at options from danner, kenetrek, and the like…

This would mostly be walking around town and hiking trails when the weather is nice, he probably won’t be wading through 4 feet of snow on a 10 mile trail or anything like that. I would say most of the snow exposure would come from a street setting or getting from place to place in ski season.

Best mountain boots without question are Meindl. Most others, including Kenetrek, are copies and Kenetrek does not warranty their boots for waterproofness. You can buy Meindl from www.meindlusa.com but I get mine from Hoffman Boots in Idaho. They have some models that are special made for Hoffman.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.04.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.04.57 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.04.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.04.58 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
I may be the minority here but I only wear boots when I hunt rugged terrain or its snowy. The rest of the time I use light trail running shoes. They feel better for normal hikes and I think it keeps my foot muscles stronger for when I do use boots. If he needs a wide toe box I'd recommend Altra trail runners.
Sorry that didn't help with custom boots but I highly recommend Altras for hiking up a trail to a trout lake, day hikes etc. He'll spend a lot of time doing those things not just hunting.

I may be the minority here but I only wear boots when I hunt rugged terrain or its snowy. The rest of the time I use light trail running shoes. They feel better for normal hikes and I think it keeps my foot muscles stronger for when I do use boots. If he needs a wide toe box I'd recommend Altra trail runners.
Sorry that didn't help with custom boots but I highly recommend Altras for hiking up a trail to a trout lake, day hikes etc. He'll spend a lot of time doing those things not just hunting.

All advice is very welcome, thanks.

I have never found a leather boot that works well in snow for day after day hunting. For that I use insulated pacs with 'air bob' soles. For everything else I use my AKUs or Limmers. I gave up on Danners, though I have a couple pairs. I even tried Russell Sheephunters and they were a bust.

Others here with more experience likely, but my go to mountain boot is the Crispi Nevada. I also have a pair of Danner Highground insulated, for late season hunts. Both have been very comfortable, worn well and will likely be purchased again when the time comes. Good luck in your search.

Others here with more experience likely, but my go to mountain boot is the Crispi Nevada. I also have a pair of Danner Highground insulated, for late season hunts. Both have been very comfortable, worn well and will likely be purchased again when the time comes. Good luck in your search.

Thank you kind sir, I will take a look at your go-to’s

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.05.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.05.26 AM.png
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.05.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 11.05.27 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Take a hard look at the people who work day in and day out in those conditions you outlined.” Loggers “and they have been wearing Whites and Danners forever.
Which White's boots are your pick?

Not enough to pick a brand--some models are light years ahead of others. Danner Ft Lewis or Canadian are bullet proof, the rest are pheasant at best for me. Kenetreks feel better to my feet than Meindl by far.

Why, or why am I reading this--I already have a closet full of boots, and now I am tempted by more, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?