channelkat

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
I love to overthink things and would appreciate your indulgence.

Currently trying to get some sort of taxidermy game plan together for my upcoming hunt. One of my priority targets is a Niassa Wildebeest. I think they are the most handsome of the wildebeest. I tend to prefer euros of everything, and initially thought to do a rug, but not sure if that would do it justice. Is a shoulder mount the way to go or is there a better way to present more of the stripes and the white chevron?

As soon as you see that nose Chevron you know what you have. Otherwise, it's just another beast Euro. Look at some of the quartering shoulder mounts and you might get some more side stripes.

Wall pedestal maybe ?

IMG_0891.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I l
Wall pedestal maybe ?
I am liking that style so far. I don't know what it is about them, but I feel particularly obligated to do something special. Wanted to make sure I was preserving as much of the uniqueness as possible!

IMO, it depends on your trophy room.

I designed my room such that nearly all positions look OK with straight forward mounts (which I prefer).

If it is going in a corner, then looking towards the center of the room may be best.

My blue wildebeest is in a corner, but I think it looks fine facing forward.

I made room for 17 shoulder mounts, but wanted to reserve the option to replace smaller specimens with larger ones, as time goes on, and still be able to use the smaller specimens in various locations.

1690515569212.png

You could do a half mount also. Dont have a picture to share but I think it may show more of what you looking for.

Erik from Top of Texas Taxidermy suggested I do a wall pedestal on my Black Wildebeest & Red Hartebeest. After seeing a few mounts like I can see why.

Wall pedestal if you want more prominent stripes. Being it's going to be a Niassa, doing a euro just isn't an option ;)

I'm having the same problem. A very nice black wildebeest taken and now at the taxidermist. Looking for photos to give ideas on how to mount it...shoulder is what I'm thinking....low odds wall pedestal (a sable n red heartbeest getting tanned as well)

Wall pedestal if you want more prominent stripes. Being it's going to be a Niassa, doing a euro just isn't an option ;)
I agree: If it's a Nyassaland wildebeest yoy must see the chevron. Wall pedestal mounted let you see more strips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevin375

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?