Best time of year to hunt Limpopo?

Bigugly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
USA, WA, OR, ID, WY, KS
My outfitter im considering has 2023 wide open for bookings. With Buffalo on the menu as well as some plains game, what would be the best time to go?

I dont want rain or freezing temps but no 100* F either.

Thanks.

I’ve hunted late May to early June as well as mid July. Mid July was cool but not unbearable. Both were wonderful times and I have no preference between them. If dates are wide open, I would suggest looking at hunting the dark of the moon. Animals seem to be more active during daylight hours whenever there isn’t much light at night.

It’s really personal preference. You will probably be successful any month. I like going to Africa in September so I don’t miss the spring and summer months at home, but October starts to get hot. I’ve only hunted one buffalo in Limpopo. I hunted in June due to open dates. I got a great buffalo, but it would have been a better hunt in August or September when the brush was thinner.

I hunted buffalo in the Limpopo right now last year and had no issues other than a sunburn, which was my own fault. It got hot some days but not horrible, and I loved hunting in the green grass, a nice change from dry season hunts. Quite a nice change from Alaska right now. I have a report on it with plenty of pics if you're curious.

Depends where in Limpopo. The closer you are to the Limpopo river valley the hotter it will be in summer. Southern part of Limpopo province can be hunted quite comfortably year round. In fact it is overcast and cool today. With all the good rains due to El Niña this year the bush should be heavy this year and next so a winter month (southern hemisphere) would probably be easier.

Depends where in Limpopo. The closer you are to the Limpopo river valley the hotter it will be in summer. Southern part of Limpopo province can be hunted quite comfortably year round. In fact it is overcast and cool today. With all the good rains due to El Niña this year the bush should be heavy this year and next so a winter month (southern hemisphere) would probably be easier.
I guess i should be more specific.
The address is Alldays and the accommodation is on the Limpopo river.

What you could also consider would be if there are any other species that you've got your sights on, for instance Kudu goes into rut around June usually and that creates good opportunities on them as well. Cold in Alldays is also a relative term, maybe cool crisp mornings and evenings but great temperatures during the day. August could be a bit tricky with gust winds and changing wind directions. That all being said, every time of the year comes with its own beauty and maybe even a challenge or two, but that's what it's all about isn't it?

Very rarely will you get "freezing" temps in the area you want to hunt. As AJ says morning/evening is usually crisp and can get down to around 2/3 degrees Celsius in winter (as an average) but usually around 6-9 degrees and the days ranging from 15-25 degrees (on average) in the winter months (May - August).

August has the "August winds" but they seem to have moved more into September lately. The upside is that the bush is thinner. Occasional rain occurs in late September - early October but it is still not the rainy season until November.

You'll be very unlucky to experience prolonged freezing temps and rain during the May - August period. Our cold fronts come from the Cape and have usually dumped any wet stuff by the time they have reached Alldays...

If you're considering the hotter months of the year (October - April) you'll experience more rain and temps in the 26 - 40 degrees range.

well my place is in limpopo
and i am familiar with dumukwas place
june july gets cool in eve and early morn, by cool i mean 9-12 deg c
days around mid to low 20's
if you hunting buff i would suggest later is better, bush thins out and grass lower etc
so september probably best, lows around 15 deg c, high can get close to 40 deg c
alldays is just a hot place, but not unbearable
check you PM's did send u some other info

July-August. That is the closest to a typical U.S. hunting season IMO. As someone else said, freezing temps are not common, but not impossible early in the morning.

American Summer (N. hemisphere)=African Winter (S. hemisphere). Then, when the bugs and snakes are minimal. In some areas, it's better to go later as the temps go up (and vegetation/watering options go down) but I've hunted both sides of the Limpopo River (SA/Zim) in Jul-Aug and saw plenty of buffalo, elephant, lion, heard leopard at night, and hippo.

For me and its only my 2 cents September or October because stalking and hunting buff or any of the dangerous game just doesn't feel right when your freezing but when hot, dry and sweaty it feels just right.

The later you go in the season it offer you more daylight and more time in the veldt the short days of June and July just feels to short especially when taking a break for brunch.

There's a reason rates are cheaper in May or September; June, July, August are the primary hunting months. If you're hunting in the Limpopo, September is by far the better month if you can stand the heat. Expect temps to push 100 degrees or better. Unless your hunting a put and take operation that always hunts the same waterholes on the same properties, then there won't be any more pressue on the game than any other month and the activity will be substantially greater at the waterholes because it's going to be hot and dry. The best chance at a big Kudu bull will also be later in the year when they are not rutting and gathering cows. In September they will be in bachelor groups primarily and spend more time at the water. September is by far the best bowhunting month but again, it will be hot and the chance of snake encounters greatly enhanced. By October the heat is unbearable and the possibility of rain exists although the raining season really doesn't kick in until November. Again, this is for the northern Limpopo. Totally different in the cape.

I try to book last week of july/ 1st week August past 2 limpopo river hunts. Fantastic weather imo. I have been in mid September and was hot for me

For me and its only my 2 cents September or October because stalking and hunting buff or any of the dangerous game just doesn't feel right when your freezing but when hot, dry and sweaty it feels just right.

The later you go in the season it offer you more daylight and more time in the veldt the short days of June and July just feels to short especially when taking a break for brunch.
I’ve never considered the shorter hunting days in June. That’s a really good point.

I usually hunt Southern Africa July - September. I'll be in Africa this year from July 21 through August 27.

I hunted Limpopo in early September…. Covered a lot of ground. Weather was perfect. Cool mornings & mild/warm afternoons. Pleasant nights for night hunting.

I hunted southern Limpopo in early September and it was great in my opinion. I’m going back this March to northern Limpopo - hoping it works out well, I’m sure it will be a different experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandy75942

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt