Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
Looking for your advice on the best cold weather thermos.
When I hunt here in Montana I like a thermos of coffee in my Polaris ranger for before and after my hunting . Who makes the best thermos for hot coffee at lunch in 25 degree weather ?

Yeti. The 20 Oz one (without the double pour screw off top) works well for me in MN and MT.
If you wrap it in your extra clothing in your pack, even better.

I have been using Stanly Aladdin thermoses for over 50 years and they do just find along with being indestructible.

The secrete to keeping your coffee hot is to fill the thermos with boiling hot water and let it sit for a while. Then poor that water out just before you fill it with coffee. Filling it with that hot water warms up the insulation and metal so that when you put your coffee in it doesn't have to do all the warming and loose heat.

I have been using the same Stanley thermos for over 40 years and can highly recommend it. I bought it when I was flying helicopters in Alaska in very cold temperatures and the thing is absolutely bullet proof. If you preheat it with boiling water before you fill it with coffee it will keep it hot for a long time. I once left it partially filled in the truck overnight in zero range temps and the coffee was still hot the next morning.

When I hunt here in Montana I like a thermos of coffee in my Polaris ranger for before and after my hunting . Who makes the best thermos for hot coffee at lunch in 25 degree weather ?
I’m No expert on hunting, rifles, or shotguns - but I KNOW Thermos’.
If all you want is a thermos that keeps stuff hot for 3-4 hours while sitting in your car then “most will work”. If you want a Thermos that you can fill the night before and have steaming hot coffee at sunrise - read on.
As two others mentioned the actual “Thermos” brand I can attest that they insulate as good as any Yeti and at 1/3 the price. I’ve conducted my own “tests” in my refrigerator and take my Thermos “seriously” (obsessively??). Get the larger models as Volume increases heat retention ie: a 1 quart model will stay warm longer then 1 pint size (all else being equal). Second, get the models completely enveloped in plastic (some have a molded in handle) vs. exposed stainless steel “vacuum bottle” type. The plastic shell protects the bottle from dents and offers additional heat retention.
Lastly, Stanley & Aladdin was an excellent model 30+ years ago - Not as good now and since made in China. Coleman also was great - in the 1980s but No longer. A good “full” one quart thermos should keep contents “burn-your-mouth-Hot for 24 hours in 50 degree weather and for 15 hours at freezing....this assumes Thermos kept Full and unopened - that “first opening” will be steaming 18-24 hours later depending on ambient temperatures.
Always Pre Heat thermos with hot or boiling water “before” filling with desired contents.
One more note - if you ever “dent” your vacuum bottle type thermos (even slightly) or if the “O ring” on cap deteriorates and therefore does not seal tightly— it will NOT insulate properly.
Buy a Yeti “decal” for your truck window but buy your Thermos at Walmart (when No one is looking !!). Now, if Yeti is sponsoring You - then by all means get 10 of them as they are excellent....but, I’d rather buy Thermos’ at Walmart and a New Benelli every Winter with the savings.

I have been using the same Stanley thermos for over 40 years and can highly recommend it. I bought it when I was flying helicopters in Alaska in very cold temperatures and the thing is absolutely bullet proof. If you preheat it with boiling water before you fill it with coffee it will keep it hot for a long time. I once left it partially filled in the truck overnight in zero range temps and the coffee was still hot the next morning.
Save that Stanley - it’s better made then the New ones. If I was buying a Stanley today - Ebay, get an older used model....

Check out Spike.T post attachment 554397 in “on a lighter note“ thread, this would work just fine.

I absolutely 100% agree yeti is way overpriced but I do own several yeti products that have worked extremely well. I use a 36 oz thermos type rambler for coffee during duck season and sweet tea during dove/fishing season. I feel like it tends to keep tea cold longer than it keeps coffee hot but then I usually go through an entire 36 oz of coffee in a day sitting in a blind when it's in the low teens. It has kept tea perfectly cold for up to three days in the west Texas heat sitting in the dirt under my field chair. We drink way more water than anything on those days so a full thermos lasts a lot longer.

I believe Yeti has a history of being on the side of the anti Gun movement , you can research it yourself. Over priced also. 2 negatives.

You could add all those voters of the current administration to that list too. I could care less about the anti movement

I believe Yeti has a history of being on the side of the anti Gun movement , you can research it yourself. Over priced also. 2 negatives.
I believe you are correct and I read that — it’s just “another” reason for Me to pass on anything Yeti - there are many other brands that are “equally” good. However, Yeti makes a fine product and they are the “gold standard” for coolers etc.. Many other brands out there have caught up in quality....YETI stands for “Yuppies-Entitled-To-It All

I absolutely 100% agree yeti is way overpriced but I do own several yeti products that have worked extremely well. I use a 36 oz thermos type rambler for coffee during duck season and sweet tea during dove/fishing season. I feel like it tends to keep tea cold longer than it keeps coffee hot but then I usually go through an entire 36 oz of coffee in a day sitting in a blind when it's in the low teens. It has kept tea perfectly cold for up to three days in the west Texas heat sitting in the dirt under my field chair. We drink way more water than anything on those days so a full thermos lasts a lot longer.
Agree, Yeti makes a good product and their marketing is outstanding - a well run company with expanding product line. I’ve gotten several as gifts and always say “thank You”....but I have found equal quality for less ie: Grizzly & Kong Coolers = lighter weight, equal or better ice retention (independent testing) and slightly lower price.

It’s a shame about yeti, if I recall correctly back when they first started advertising they used hunting scenes in their commercials.

It’s a shame about yeti, if I recall correctly back when they first started advertising they used hunting scenes in their commercials.
I think Yeti is a business “first” and they know their big demographic is Not Hunters - it’s Yuppies, “Glampers”, picnics, and boating. They strike the middle ground very effectively and appeal to the ”almost outdoorsman”. They have a great product and can charge more for it then others because they created an “image” - people want to be seen with their “Yeti” (even if it’s EMPTY !). Think of other retailers that have “dumped” hunters: Sports Authority, Dick’s, Gander Outdoors, Walmart (no more handgun ammo, no guns).... the first rule of business - survive and the 2nd “make a profit”.

Please don’t misunderstand my point earlier. I support, contribute, promote, and vocalize all entities that make a difference in squashing the anti movement. As for yeti I have never paid for one but am not afraid to use one to keep my blackout coffee hot so that I might be more prepared in order to shoot more often and hunt longer. Or I use it around the campfire to talk poorly about them or any others that support the anti movement. I view it as canceling out their cause.

The original owners of Yeti were pro hunting & guns. They sold to some New York fund and bye-bye guns. They spun off Yeti to a stand alone Public Traded company. Not sure the current gun stance.

I have 2 of those old Stanley’s one is super old was my father-in-laws and the other is a newer 1990ish that my father purchased when his glass lined Thermos branded one broke.

I have an old Stanley that is close to 40 years old. It was with me many times on airborne assaults to clear Ft Bragg training areas of the evil Macappans, as well as numerous infiltrations into "Pineland". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It is the best.

Yeti has a great marketing campaign and I am thankful to everyone that gave me one of their products as an "outdoorsy gift". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: However, I have found their products work no better (often worse) than the copies of similar products available at Buccee's and Academy Sports. For a premium level priced thermos, Kleen Kanteen blows Yeti away.

Safe hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyeSands

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?