Barrel Recoil Lug

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2019
Messages
158
Reaction score
78
Location
Central OH
Media
2
Hunted
MT, OH
How common is a second barrel mounted recoil lug? Is it a CZ only idea, or common on DG bolt rifles? Has good pillar bedding basically eliminated the need for this?
 
I think that CZ created the second lug because of split stocks that happened to them several years ago. The 'normal' lug is close to the magazine box and so can split at the box. The front lug is a double tie in to the wood and also there is a solid lump of wood behind it to spread the load before the magazine box with its thin sides. I think it is some good thinking by the CZ engineers. Glass bedding and pillar bedding do solve the same problem because they spread the load and reduce the likelihood of a split stock and also improve accuracy. I can only assume the glass bedding or pillar bedding costs more in manufacturing ??
 
My pre war Winchester Model 70 .375 HH Magnum does not have a second recoil lug. The stock split sometime in the 1970s , when my Maternal Granddad was still using the gun. He had it repaired with epoxy and stove bolts ( well , they look like stove bolts anyway ) .
I strongly believe that most of the new Winchester Model 70 rifles in .375 HH Magnum and larger calibers come with the second recoil lug now.
My Dad's Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 , however does not have a second recoil lug and he bought his in 1984 , when l was 4 years old .
 
My model 70 safari express has a barrel recoil lug about 4 inches forward of the receiver. It’s was bedded from the factory and the stock was also cross bolted. However I re bedded it with aluminum pillars to prevent stock compression.
 
My model 70 safari express has a barrel recoil lug about 4 inches forward of the receiver. It’s was bedded from the factory and the stock was also cross bolted. However I re bedded it with aluminum pillars to prevent stock compression.
So they did fix the problem eventually after all . If l recall correctly , this has been done since 1964
 
Second barrel lugs have been used on hard kicking rifles since the early 1900. Usually seen on custom rifles more than factory.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,414
Messages
1,575,518
Members
170,343
Latest member
Caren18C50
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top