Barnes 300 gr TSX in double rifle

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
I am trying to find a proven load for a Chapuis double in 375. I want to use Barnes 300 gr TSX. I have H4381sc, H4350, and Reloder 15 powders on hand. Not looking for other bullets or speed. Just a good load for a double rifle that I can tweak for this gun. Thanks in advance.

What load is the gun regulated for? Barnes can be a bit tricky to get to work in guns not regulated for them due to how much longer they are then lead bullets.

-Matt

I think Hornady.

My PH wanted me to try some he gave me when I left Zim in October. They shot good but I do not know the load.

I am trying to find a proven load for a Chapuis double in 375. I want to use Barnes 300 gr TSX. I have H4381sc, H4350, and Reloader 15 powders on hand. Not looking for other bullets or speed. Just a good load for a double rifle that I can tweak for this gun. Thanks in advance.

Stay away from temperature sensitive RL15. Use modern temperature stable powder.

I have shot 300 gr TSX is three .375 H&H doubles. Double rifles are much like Tolstoy wrote about unhappy families, they are all different in their own way. My loads may but likely will not regulate in your 375 Chaupis. I did however have good results with a 300 TSX, H4350, RP 9 1/2m at 2550 FPS in a Merkel and a Blaser. H4350 and H4831SC are very temperature stable.

Have you clocked your Hornady loads with a chronograph or radar? If not, you do not have a baseline reference. Oh, do NOT believe the velocity that a manufacturer states their ammo archives. "The helicopter is on its way...". Without measuring velocity, one is just throwing mud against the wall hoping something will stick. I use velocity for same bullet weight as a starting reference. Every bullet will shoot differently but one needs to establish a baseline and make incremental adjustments to gather data.

If you do not have a good chronograph, one can buy used Lab Radar cheap now! Everyone wants the new Garmin Xero chronograph.

How well does your rifle regulate with that Hornady ammo? Is it good enough for you? Three inches at 50 yds is good for dangerous game but that will be probably 7 inches or more at 100 yds. I run Trijicon SRO reflex sights on my doubles and have killed out to 150 meters with my Heym 458. Not ideal but when opportunity knocks!

Working out loads for a double is fun but darn frustrating at the same time! Do it by changing one variable at a time! If you want 300 TSX, load four to six rounds with H4350 at published data 2400, 2450, again at 2500, and at 2550. Shoot them at 50 yds allowing barrels to cool between strings.
Record the data for each shot in a log book. Load data, velocity, impact elevation and windage, ie 2.25" high, 3" right.
Shoot each string on a clean target. Transcribe the data onto the target by each shot hole. Save your targets for reference

As your loads increased in velocity did the right and left point of impact come together or drift apart? When you find that sweet spot of load where the TSX produce your desired R-L groups at your desired range, your rifle which is regulated for Hornady ammo, will also "regulate" with your load.

Is is really that simple. You may find your desired result in one range session or 20 times to the range!

Don't forget to shoot your double from sticks or a standing bench, to provide the same opposition to recoil as you will provide when shooting in Africa ...

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
x2 measuring velocity of the regulation load is key. Some words of encouragement for Barnes bullets in doubles: My 450NE was regulated for 480gr Hornady DG, 500gr Barnes TSX regulated very well (those bullets are so different). Clean your barrel before using Barnes, fowl it with barnes, then shoot for regulation. Use a stable powder, watch your velocity, and stay consistent with grip & shooting position.

Stay away from temperature sensitive RL15. Use modern temperature stable powder.

I have shot 300 gr TSX is three .375 H&H doubles. Double rifles are much like Tolstoy wrote about unhappy families, they are all different in their own way. My loads may but likely will not regulate in your 375 Chaupis. I did however have good results with a 300 TSX, H4350, RP 9 1/2m at 2550 FPS in a Merkel and a Blaser. H4350 and H4831SC are very temperature stable.

Have you clocked your Hornady loads with a chronograph or radar? If not, you do not have a baseline reference. Oh, do NOT believe the velocity that a manufacturer states their ammo archives. "The helicopter is on its way...". Without measuring velocity, one is just throwing mud against the wall hoping something will stick. I use velocity for same bullet weight as a starting reference. Every bullet will shoot differently but one needs to establish a baseline and make incremental adjustments to gather data.

If you do not have a good chronograph, one can buy used Lab Radar cheap now! Everyone wants the new Garmin Xero chronograph.

How well does your rifle regulate with that Hornady ammo? Is it good enough for you? Three inches at 50 yds is good for dangerous game but that will be probably 7 inches or more at 100 yds. I run Trijicon SRO reflex sights on my doubles and have killed out to 150 meters with my Heym 458. Not ideal but when opportunity knocks!

Working out loads for a double is fun but darn frustrating at the same time! Do it by changing one variable at a time! If you want 300 TSX, load four to six rounds with H4350 at published data 2400, 2450, again at 2500, and at 2550. Shoot them at 50 yds allowing barrels to cool between strings.
Record the data for each shot in a log book. Load data, velocity, impact elevation and windage, ie 2.25" high, 3" right.
Shoot each string on a clean target. Transcribe the data onto the target by each shot hole. Save your targets for reference

As your loads increased in velocity did the right and left point of impact come together or drift apart? When you find that sweet spot of load where the TSX produce your desired R-L groups at your desired range, your rifle which is regulated for Hornady ammo, will also "regulate" with your load.

Is is really that simple. You may find your desired result in one range session or 20 times to the range!

Don't forget to shoot your double from sticks or a standing bench, to provide the same opposition to recoil as you will provide when shooting in Africa ...

I hope this helps!
Great advice, my only addition is to create a "photo file" of load data/target results so you have all the info in one place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt