Baboons

Carter123

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Looking at doing a baboon cull on a few dairy farms here in the eastern cape , South Africa

Distances under 200 meters and shooting with a 270 , can anyone provide some photos with shot placement on these animals , have tried using Google but with little success

I’ll be hunting with professionals I would just prefer to look like I know what I’m doing before I join .

Same anatomy as humans basically.

Center body mass.
If running across, at 200 m, aim for top of head, you will hit around mid part, spine.

The few baboons I’ve seen shot seemed somewhat fragile. The only one that I have personally shot was a Texas heart shot as he was running away with a new born lamb at about 150 yards. The bullet entered between butt and balls and exited in the chest. This was with a 7mm REM magnum with 154 grain hornady bullets.

Good luck with <200m shots! That ain't going to last after the first couple of baboons hit the dirt!

I've shot lots and they're very soft - bullet placement in the top/forward half of the animal is going to do the business. Most of your shots will be at baboons looking at you. I.e. upright full frontal. Middle of the chest is your money shot.

What I have found to work quite well with full frontal shots is to aim at the middle of the head and shoot - even if you have 30-40cm of bullet drop, you've got one dead baboon. They are super smart and don't sit still for long, so you need a method to shoot quickly, hence my suggestion above. Fussing with rangefinders, dialling scopes and getting a stable shooting base expecting the ape to be patient isn't going to get it done.
When you're within reasonable range, get set-up asap and track the baboon through your scope. As soon as he stops and looks, it must be game time. Stumbling around hoping to get closer or find a shooting rest once you've found a suitable target is going to end in frustration.

For baboons on all fours (i.e. same body posture as most 4 legged animals) the aim point is the same as other 4 legged animals - on or just behind the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bk88pw

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.