Average "hippo on land" prices by country?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I'm kicking around the idea of trying for a hippo in 2024 but I've been out of the game for a few years and I'm not sure what to expect for prices. What kind of prices should I expect to see?

Thanks all!
-Matt

There is no difference in price land or water. Water will generally give a much better trophy though because you can look over multiple bulls. The challenge on land is more finding a suitable bull on land, not so much choosing the best trophy. The prices range a lot. The best price on a trophy bull will be Zimbabwe around $800 per day on low end and $5000 TF. If bringing your hippo home isn’t a priority, an own use hippo in Caprivi is probably best deal you will find, maybe $600 per day and $2000 TF. I’ve seen quite a few good hippo/croc combos for $15k-$20k on booking agents email lists.

Normally hippo is taken as an add on to another hunt. If you go to where hippo live, it won’t be hard to find a big one, but it may take a day or 2 to get one on land. Getting a really big hippo on land may be a crap shoot. Campfire areas in Zim will have the best daily rates and trophy fees as 375fox pointed out. I wouldn’t travel all the way to zim to hunt just hippo though, it could be a rather quick hunt. We spotted one on land the very first morning we decided to go hunt hippo, and we were still eating breakfast.

Thank you for the replies!

It would probably be a hippo and PG hunt. If it's going to cost $10,000 for the hippo, then what I can spend on other game would be very limited as that is pretty much my entire budget for the hunt.

-Matt

I'm kicking around the idea of trying for a hippo in 2024 but I've been out of the game for a few years and I'm not sure what to expect for prices. What kind of prices should I expect to see?

Thanks all!
-Matt
I can not answer your question but I can offer to you the best place to hunt hippo on land. That would the The Omay in Zimbabwe with Dalton & York. That hunt is currently $900/day, will be a 10 day hunt, and hippo trophy fee is $4500. You will be hunting in Lake Kariba where there is a massive population of hippo. You will probably have to book it for 2025 at this point.

I can not answer your question but I can offer to you the best place to hunt hippo on land. That would the The Omay in Zimbabwe with Dalton & York. That hunt is currently $900/day, will be a 10 day hunt, and hippo trophy fee is $4500. You will be hunting in Lake Kariba where there is a massive population of hippo. You will probably have to book it for 2025 at this point.
Those prices are higher for non baiting hippo

We are on Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe. This is not a plains game hippo hunt. Price for hippo $6500.00 all inclusive. Please do not ask what all inclusive includes.

Thank you for the replies!

It would probably be a hippo and PG hunt. If it's going to cost $10,000 for the hippo, then what I can spend on other game would be very limited as that is pretty much my entire budget for the hunt.

-Matt
Most places in Zim would probably not take a hunt below 7 days, so at the bare minimum of 850 a day you’re looking at 6k in daily rates, then a 4500-5500 TF. If 10k is your budget, wait an extra year and save a bit more money. Then you could have a decent hippo hunt along with plains game. That said, most plains game is by opportunity and you may have to move around a bit to find certain species. Hippo pairs really well with croc as you will need bait for croc, and it will take some time to find a big croc. It took 4 days to get my croc, with 4 different blinds built and countless baits set. It was a really good hunt and ended up not even shooting one off bait, but by opportunity when driving the flood plains on the fourth day.

The offer above is very good, that said I wouldn't travel all the way to Africa just to hunt hippo.

Most hunters include hippo/ croc. $10,000.00 all inclusive. Hippo = croc bait & trophy.

If you want hippo and plains game do a farm hunt.

We are on Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe. This is not a plains game hippo hunt. Price for hippo $6500.00 all inclusive. Please do not ask what all inclusive includes.
That’s one of best prices I’ve seen advertised. What does the area look like? Is a portion of shoreline set aside hunting or are there a lot of people and villages throughout?

Lots of people in certain areas. Others not so much Lake Kariba covers a big area. Not all is available. Campfire, forestry, National parks and concessions. Most of the area that we hunt is campfire. One of the reasons for better prices. Second reason. Our lodge, not camp is right on the lake.

Many clients, find the “people” a big part of the experience. Our concession has ZERO people also ZERO hippo. Plenty elephant and leopard.

Like I said a RSA hunt is better suited and you will take both.

Hi Matt @matt85 ,

Generally Hippo is more expensive in South Africa than other Southern Africa countries.
I have send you a PM on this

Sincerely
Dieter

Perhaps I was unclear when I said "hippo and PG", I meant hunting a hippo and then some local game to fill out any additional time. I'm not going to pay for a 7 day hunt, hunt for 1-2 days, and then sit in camp and do nothing for the rest of the time.

-Matt

Perhaps I was unclear when I said "hippo and PG", I meant hunting a hippo and then some local game to fill out any additional time. I'm not going to pay for a 7 day hunt, hunt for 1-2 days, and then sit in camp and do nothing for the rest of the time.

-Matt
This hunt is possible in some areas. Just be upfront with outfits when discussing options.

Those prices are higher for non baiting hippo
Yes. My mistake. I just shot one for leopard bait. The trophy fee is $5000. Of course, like everything, it is subject to change.

For the last several years $6500.00 has been the price for our all inclusive Hippo or Croc. $10,000.00 all inclusive Hippo and Croc.

After you have taken your trophy hippo in 1 or 2 days, by your reckoning not mine you can hunt what ever we have quota for. Last hippo hunter shot eight hyena.

Can you post your croc sizes?

Most "dry land" Hippo that I've seen in Zim are 5' or less from the lake. So it will take some luck to get one out away from the water in the daytime. My idea of dry land Hippo hunting is finding one off by itself, way away from the lake or whatever body of water they are near. When you shoot one right next to the water, they just dive in and you only get one shot. If you brain shoot him, he'll of course just drop where he stands and offer very little excitement. I've had Hippo on quota the last two trips to Zim, and have never shot one, simply because we could never find one far enough away from the water to really make it seem like an actual hunt.
The most excitement we had was when a cow Hippo chased us a few yards up a hill, before turning and running back into the lake. Unless I'm baiting a leopard, I doubt I'll ever shoot a Hippo at this point. Would much rather spend the money on a buffalo or tuskless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouellaBal

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles