Jeff Garcia

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
75FADD92-3E53-45F3-BD03-63A2DF03C2FA.jpeg

I love big forks!
I'm in Klamath, I can get there quick... two hours? Three hours?

I love big fork horns. I shot one years ago in Idaho.

I was hunting one a couple years ago on public land in New Mexico. As I was getting ready to shoot, another buck I couldn’t see while he was bedded stood up a few minutes after him and headed my way. As you can see, I changed my mind about the big forky.

IMG_6842.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the forked antlered coastal blacktails I saw in the area around Petaluma back in the late 80’s would definitely be trophies but I got an above average for the area 3x3 with brow tines. 8 point to us southern boys.

September ’89 blacktail. Picture of a picture wi a goose wing shadow.

648D867D-35C6-46BC-BE64-78CA4B1C1AD3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never seen anything like that on 10 Safaris.

Mulies are amazing animals. However, being a whitetail hunter makes me rethink how to judge a good buck. Since a nice mule deer will typically not have much in the way of brow tines. They certainly make up for it in width and frame. Then, judging the depth of forks is another difference. I’m so used to a basic check of width and number of points that it makes me second guess what counts as a stellar mule deer.

The 4x4 I included in response to sfranger7gp ‘s comment, would definitely not pass on that buck. The two x two bucks definitely pass on, wait for something more exciting. All those pix were taken while on a scouting trip

The finest mule deer "trophy" I have ever seen was on a buck that was illegal to shoot in BC. It was during the rut and this aged swaybacked animal drifted past us at sixty-yards. Bases were much bigger than my wrist and pearling went half way up each antler. With eye-guards and forks he was illegal in BC where one can shoot a spindly two-year-old 4x3 (must have four points on one side), but not this six or seven year old pensioner. He looked like a gigantic roebuck. With his mass and only six points, he would have still hit 170-175. Amazing animal that almost certainly ended up a mountain lion meal that winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garthskafe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.