Any body own a 350 Remington Magnum?

I have a 350 Rem mag in a XP 100R. I have never shot the round in a rifle however.
I have taken whitetail deer with the XP. I wanted to buy one when they came out but ended up buying it second hand. Never got around to ordering one when they were in production.
I don’t personally have a need for a rifle in 350 Rem mag or 35 Whelen just because I am very partial to the 375 H&H and would probably just grab it instead.
With the scarcity of brass for the 350 and the fact I am a little too lazy to want to make cases from another caliber, I also have a XP 100R in 35 Remington.
rdog, what is the availability of 350 brass down under? Do you have to form them from another mag case?
@K E Johnson
There's a gunshop 8n Brisbane called Cleavers that has a good supply of 350 rem mag cases.
In the XP100 with a stoutly loaded 350gn she would be a handful. If you need brass let me know and we can see what we can work out for you.
Bob

Greatly appreciate the offer Bob!
I did pick up a some a while back so I am probably set for a while.
I have not played with bullets heavier than 225 grain in the XP. They are enough to get your attention when the trigger breaks.
Thanks again for the offer though!

I have a 350 Rem mag in a XP 100R. I have never shot the round in a rifle however.
I have taken whitetail deer with the XP. I wanted to buy one when they came out but ended up buying it second hand. Never got around to ordering one when they were in production.
I don’t personally have a need for a rifle in 350 Rem mag or 35 Whelen just because I am very partial to the 375 H&H and would probably just grab it instead.
With the scarcity of brass for the 350 and the fact I am a little too lazy to want to make cases from another caliber, I also have a XP 100R in 35 Remington.
rdog, what is the availability of 350 brass down under? Do you have to form them from another mag case?
Brass is hard to find but avail if you try hard enough. & no i have never had to form brass, the Ruger is light & has a fair amount of recoil so it is not the type of rifle you shoot tin cans with, i have enough brass to see me out.

Nephew had one built by the target guru Speedy Gonzales--totally blueprinted and the most accurate gun he owns. Borrowed it to knock a big ten point flat. May buy it yet from him

Brass is hard to find but avail if you try hard enough. & no i have never had to form brass, the Ruger is light & has a fair amount of recoil so it is not the type of rifle you shoot tin cans with, i have enough brass to see me out.
@rdog
Mate where's your sense of adventure. Rapid fire, full house 225gn Woodleigh RNs at tin cans off the bench. Just what you need to practice shooting a mob of pigs from the sitting position.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

The 350 rem mag is one of the only 35 calibers I don't own. The reason is the same as every other magnum round, magazine capacity reduced by that damn worthless belt. This and the 358 Norma mag are the 2 35's I have no interest in aquiring. I am currently working on trying to convince a nice gentleman who shoots at our gun club he should sell me his 1895 Winchester in 35 win with the factory adjustable peep sight.

My brother in law has one of the original remington 600 but in a 35 rem. His father bought it for him for his first deer and hog hunting rifle. He won’t part with it but it does make me :cry:

The .35s are a great class of cartridges and the .35 Whelen and .350 Remington Magnum are clearly suitable for use on dangerous game, including the big bears.

A3A4779C-9794-4589-958F-10C22260A2C5.jpeg

Way, way back in the day, the then-wildcat .35W was called the “Poor Man’s Magnum” - and for a good reason: for the price of a barrel and some installation work by a ‘smith, a man of modest income could upgrade his .30-06 to a snot-pounding .35W and usually retain the same mag capacity. That was back when surplus 1903s were widely available and a goodly number of those made their way to the Alaskan frontier.

For my contribution here, I inherited my Dad’s 18.5” Remmy M600 carbine in .350RM.

We upgraded it with some semi-custom work as follows: replaced all the old plastic parts (trigger guard/floorplate, vented barrel rib, etc.) with aluminum aftermarket parts; slightly inletted the stock to be able to attach a Williams peep sight (with twight gold aperture) to the factory mount holes on the rear side of the receive.

EFFBDBEF-847A-4607-8634-2749F1AB01CB.jpeg

115C6186-65A3-400F-BC49-0178E9E37E26.jpeg

0513E71B-BB2B-4DBB-A7BE-3DAE1012E546.jpeg

For the Williams sight to work properly with the factory front sight, the height of the front sight had to be shortened so that POA would equal POI @ 50-yds with Remmy factory 200grn ammo. (The carbine was later re-zeroed for 100-yds with that ammo and an equivalent handload).

My ‘smith replaced the hard factory recoil pad with a KickEzz of the same size; floated the barrel in the stock channel; smoothed out the trigger pull and take-up.

Last but not least, the stock was set up for a 3-pt Ching Sling, which has proven great both for carry as well as a “hasty sling” for quick and accurate snap-shooting.

14002CC0-72B6-4292-8953-05EA6155560A.jpeg

At all of 6.4lbs, it’s the perfect, iron-sighted carbine for hunting deer, hogs, or black bear in thick timber or in the brushy boonie areas where 98% of your shots won’t be over 100-yds, and more likely under 50-yds.

The .35s are a great class of cartridges and the .35 Whelen and .350 Remington Magnum are clearly suitable for use on dangerous game, including the big bears.

View attachment 489290

Way, way back in the day, the then-wildcat .35W was called the “Poor Man’s Magnum” - and for a good reason: for the price of a barrel and some installation work by a ‘smith, a man of modest income could upgrade his .30-06 to a snot-pounding .35W and usually retain the same mag capacity. That was back when surplus 1903s were widely available and a goodly number of those made their way to the Alaskan frontier.

For my contribution here, I inherited my Dad’s 18.5” Remmy M600 carbine in .350RM.

We upgraded it with some semi-custom work as follows: replaced all the old plastic parts (trigger guard/floorplate, vented barrel rib, etc.) with aluminum aftermarket parts; slightly inletted the stock to be able to attach a Williams peep sight (with twight gold aperture) to the factory mount holes on the rear side of the receive.

View attachment 489289

View attachment 489287

View attachment 489286

For the Williams sight to work properly with the factory front sight, the height of the front sight had to be shortened so that POA would equal POI @ 50-yds with Remmy factory 200grn ammo. (The carbine was later re-zeroed for 100-yds with that ammo and an equivalent handload).

My ‘smith replaced the hard factory recoil pad with a KickEzz of the same size; floated the barrel in the stock channel; smoothed out the trigger pull and take-up.

Last but not least, the stock was set up for a 3-pt Ching Sling, which has proven great both for carry as well as a “hasty sling” for quick and accurate snap-shooting.

View attachment 489288

At all of 6.4lbs, it’s the perfect, iron-sighted carbine for hunting deer, hogs, or black bear in thick timber or in the brushy boonie areas where 98% of your shots won’t be over 100-yds, and more likely under 50-yds.
That’s a slick setup!

View attachment 489290

View attachment 489289

View attachment 489287

View attachment 489286

View attachment 489288

@Jack Stevens
Very nice and a great set up but at 6.4# she would be a handful in the recoil department. The good thing about the 200gr factory load is that Remington beefed up that light projectile so it would be suitable for game like moose. With a full power 250gr round nose she would really get your attention when tyou touched it off.
Love the 35s, they just work
Bob

@Jack Stevens
Very nice and a great set up but at 6.4# she would be a handful in the recoil department. The good thing about the 200gr factory load is that Remington beefed up that light projectile so it would be suitable for game like moose. With a full power 250gr round nose she would really get your attention when tyou touched it off.
Love the 35s, they just work
Bob
Trust me they do get your attention. I shot one years ago, thought the trigger guard had broken my middle finger & yes, I was gripping it firmly!

My nephew's 350 mag has a composite stock and feels fairly light, but I don't remember feeling any more recoil than a 30'06 when I shot that 10 pt.

My nephew's 350 mag has a composite stock and feels fairly light, but I don't remember feeling any more recoil than a 30'06 when I shot that 10 pt.
Yeah, I don’t think the recoil from my M600 is that bad, frankly. The KickEzzz pad really dampens it, as does slinging up tight for each shot.

But then I also have traditional DG rifles in .375 H&H and .404 Jeffrey, so maybe I’ve become sort of “acclimated“ to a higher level of felt-recoil.

I have had a Rem 660 in 350 RM a Rem 600 in 350 RM a Rem 700 Classic in 350 RM and a Ruger 77 in 350 RM. They all have been sold off except my excellent Rem 600 in 6.5 RM. I still have a ton of bullets for reloading the .358 cal in 250gr.
I do remember the Rem 600/660 recoil blast was fierce but the rifle was a joy to carry. I sold my Rem 600 just a few years ago a Original Alaska bush rifle favored by Bush pilots.

Good to know of an other Ruger 350 mag in Australia, a friend of mine bought one at the same time as me that makes 3. i could not get the 250 grain Woodleighs to feed how did you go?
Suggest use the Speer 250gr and seat at 2.80” in Rem 600/660

250 Speer
56.0 of IMR 4320 with Fed 210M primers

IMR 4064/4320 my 2 favorite powders with 200gr and 250gr

200gr Hornady RN with IMR 4064 @ 56.0
Fed 210M primer

Last edited:
Suggest use the Speer 250gr and seat at 2.80” in Rem 600/660

250 Speer
56.0 of IMR 4320 with Fed 210M primers

IMR 4064/4320 my 2 favorite powders with 200gr and 250gr

200gr Hornady RN with IMR 4064 @ 56.0
Fed 210M primer
@Alaska
What speeds are you getting out of those loads.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertHer

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!