Another NKWE Safaris Adventure

Werty

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana
This is my second trip with @NKWE SAFARIS. My two brothers and sister-in-law were there in May 2022. We had such a great time that my dad, brother @Aaron.F and I went back this time.
I left Bozeman MT a few days earlier to hang with my family before the big trip. It was nice to have a little of a break between all the flights and to repack and shoot my bow and rifles before the big flights.

We flew from Detroit to Atlanta, Atlanta to Johannesburg, Johannesburg to Maun Botswana. All the flights went well till Air Botswana canceled our flight and connected us to Airlink. Unfortunately there was an issue with getting our guns onto Airlink so we missed our flight the next day. We eventually got it sorted out. I would like to thank Henry at Rifle Permits for the quick response and willingness to come help us out, if we needed to leave a gun in South Africa.

We had too push back our helicopter ride with Helicopter Horizons back to last flight of the day which worked out great. Jaco who is NKWE Safaris picked us up from the airport and took us to Maun Lodge to drop our things and run us back to the airport for our Okavango Delta tour. The Delta was very low compared to the last time we were there. They are in a very serve drought right now and it shows. After our flight, we went back to the Maun Lodge where we had a very good buffet and they had a traditional native dance for an evening show. This was Wednesday 17th of July.

We got up early Thursday morning so Jaco could take into Moremi Reserve for a game drive for the day. We didn't see any predators or Cape Buffalo, but we saw everything else. It took awhile to get to where the water was finally flowing in, you could tell it had just started. Those drives are long but worth every second.

Friday morning found us up early so we could breakfast and get on the road to Ghanzi to NKWE Safaris camp. Its a couple of hours to Jaco's camp. We were informed that once we get to camp, we will get our luggage to our tents, eat lunch, shoot rifles and head out that evening to hunt. My brother and I talked that we both would be hunting with our father, so one day your solo and the next your hunting with dad.

Jaco and I went to a waterhole and set up a ground blind. It was nice to finally be hunting and not running from here to there, which anyone who has done this understands. We had a couple of small warthogs come in at 20 yard and Jaco told me to pick one to shoot. I brought my video camera with me and Jaco was able to get the shot on video, the pig ran 90 yards and pile up.

That evening my father and brother went out with Quentin, nothing was harvested.

Saturday Jaco and I go to a property I haven't been too, north of Ghanzi, its an awesome property, very large and also has enclosed blinds. We sit a couple of blinds through out the day with lots of animals, but I'm really after a Kudu bull with my bow. With darkness approaching we notice an old broken tusk boar coming to the waterhole, Jaco says to take him. The boar is only 20 yards and after looking at the footage of the video it shows I shot just under him. Fortunately for me the boar ran around the waterhole and I was able to double lung him at 32 yards and he ran off. With it getting dark we decide to push it and go after him. We jumped him from laying on his side, he runs a hundred yards and lays down and is about dead, but I put a finishing shot into him so he doesn't suffer.

Dad and brother went out with Quentin, Dad was able to shoot his first Kudu bull and he was proud as he should be.

Sunday Dad and I are hunting with Quentin. We make some stalks on Impala and Wildebeest, but couldn't seal the deal. We ended up sitting a waterhole for kudu that evening with no luck.
Jaco and Aaron went out and were successful, they got a Gemsbok and nice Waterbuck.

Monday morning finds Dad, Jaco and I on the property north of Ghanzi, making our first stalk on a real nice Kudu bulls. We put a 3/4 of mile stalk on these bulls, we get about 300 yards for the bulls, he gets on the sticks and makes a shot but you can hear a ricochet. We look for blood but nothing.
We make our way back to the 2 track and truck. We drive maybe 1/2 mile and look to our left a there standing is a really nice Kudu bull. Jaco tells my Dad to grab is gun and get ready. I grab my camera and start to record. The truck stops and Jaco says take him! Dad puts the gun up and settles the scope and boom! The bull drops in his tracks. We all jump out of the truck and run up to the bull which is 250 yards or so. Dads shot was a little hi, so he puts another one in him to put him down. This is probably most excited I have ever seen my dad, which is an awesome thing to experience. This bull measured out to 58'' which doesn't really matter, just a beautiful bull.
We spend the rest of the day hunting waterholes, chasing the elusive Kudu with a bow, and nothing showed. Still a great day of hunting, spent with my Dad.

Hope you enjoy!
will add more later
IMG_2841.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG
20240718_103146.jpg
20240718_182825.jpg
20240720_183040.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa