Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
This is the 4th one of these to find its way here. I wasnt even looking for one, well not really anyway... but somehow my eyes picked it out of a bunch of other stuff on GB recently and the price being quite reasonable, NIB, drilled for a peep and no mention of its being a take down model, (Rare), well I had to have it.
Picked it up today and man its nice! Already popped the rear sight off for a Williams Peep which I already had on hand as well.
Best wood of those I have had, super nice bluing and checkering, just a really nice rifle.
I sold all my components some time back but kept my loading dies and had 3 boxes of factory ammo left so that right there is excuse enuf to have another right? Near as I can figure it was made in 2005 and just been sitting around and luckily not all rusted up as often happens with things left unattended.
IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

I've always wanted the 1895 in the Saddle Ring Carbine configuration and chambered in 30-06. I wouldn't mind a 405 because of my boy, Teddy. Just wish factory ammunition was a thing for it. Awesome rifles though, and unique!
.30-06 would be easier but ... .30-40 Krag was the choice for Texas Rangers and Arizona Rangers who used the carbine model with 22" barrel, same as all these new versions!

I have an earlier Browning in the Krag, good shooter and no tang safety or rebound hammer.

Very nice and it does look to be brand new! And looks like my 1895 TD.

Last edited:
Ses, my Oryx hunt as been slipped one week until Saturday October 30.
I decided to use my .405 DR and that should dump an Oryx on its butt like my 1895 .405 did a water. buff. I do not know how far you are from East Texas, but if you want to join us, there are a lot of exotics to choose from. There are other exotic ranches in the area, but this is a new one for me and should provide plenty of meat for the freezer. Last time I did one of these quickie hunts, my son and I drove less than an hour, shot Axis meat does , took them to our nearby meat processor and were back at the farm in time for lunch!

That sounds like a great time but not in the cards for me I fear. I am in western WA state which would mean flying and getting on planes isnt something I care to do these days. Too much BS to travel still.
For sure though the .405 will dump any oryx or pretty much anything else that walks.
When I hit my large nyala with mine in 2009 it was dramatic to say the least.
(y)

Outstanding sir. I am both happy for you and jealous at the same time. I was looking at 1895s on GunBroker over lunch today. One is still at the top of my bucket list. However, with shipping on my Africa souvenirs about to hit the bank account I fear it will have to remain there a while longer. Congrats on the new addition!

Outstanding sir. I am both happy for you and jealous at the same time. I was looking at 1895s on GunBroker over lunch today. One is still at the top of my bucket list. However, with shipping on my Africa souvenirs about to hit the bank account I fear it will have to remain there a while longer. Congrats on the new addition!
Had I not bought this one, I probably would have snagged this one at GI.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.43.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.43.50 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.43.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.43.52 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 85

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.35 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.37 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.44.38 PM.png
    824.2 KB · Views: 79
Tricked out real nice. So pretty that someone will buy it.
I will stick with the .405 WCF though.
When my 300 grain NF CPS hit that water buff, it hit the ground so hard that the head bounced-- DRT.

I got it on paper today at 50 first then 100. I only had along 12 rounds of factory SP ammo but all shots were on the paper, though I had the wrong glasses along for irons work. Next time....
I put a slip on rubber boot which mitigated the recoil considerably. Ugly but effective and not permanent.

SES,
A friend of mine asked me to help him sight in his Miroku/Winchester Texas Model 1895 .405 and I took a break from my 1886 45-90 and shot the 1895 with the factory sights -- BINGO -- dead center and I was hooked and started looking for one for me. I found and bought two, one a Deluxe and my shooter:

It is a keeper! And with proper bullets (300 grain North Fork FPs and CPS and 400 grain Woodies ) it is a serious DG rifle. You will like your new one better with a good recoil pad.

SES,
A friend of mine asked me to help him sight in his Miroku/Winchester Texas Model 1895 .405 and I took a break from my 1886 45-90 and shot the 1895 with the factory sights -- BINGO -- dead center and I was hooked and started looking for one for me. I found and bought two, one a Deluxe and my shooter:

It is a keeper! And with proper bullets (300 grain North Fork FPs and CPS and 400 grain Woodies ) it is a serious DG rifle. You will like your new one better with a good recoil pad.
Neat rifles for sure. For now I am content to shoot mine with the boot as I dont want to make any changes to it.

How do you like your .45-90?

There are some really nice ones on GB right now and a few older Brownings as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dKimeTooheldidge

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia