An auction hunt with Numzaan Safaris turns out better than expected.

Winkabeast

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
EasternCape, RSA. Freestate, RSA. Coutada10, Mozambique. Namibia. Hungary. Poland. New Zealand. BC., Canada. Alaska, USA. Western States, USA,
My brother Rob and I have just returned from our long-delayed Connecticut DSC Dinner auction hunt with Numzaan Safaris in the Limpopo Province, South Africa.

I had been warned that Limpopo has been heavily carved up and fenced, and that the properties are smallish when compared to other parts of South Africa, or other destinations around it, and this turned out to be a spot-on assessment.
It is also mostly flat, and brush choked, so all in all I would have to say it was not the most epic and awe inspiring of our safari hunting experiences or the most breathtaking of African scenery, but the lodge was comfortable and Jakes the PH, and Sello the tracker were good men, so Robbie and I kept a good attitude and we had a fun hunt, even if the days excursions were a bit repetitive, with a lot of miles on the same roads, and even if we saw a lot of fences and feeders.

The first day found us in a very small area which seemed to be chosen for the numbers of Nyala, which was the auction specific animal. With country this flat and brushy there's a tendency to use the truck more than you really should, but I told Jakes I wanted to stalk and shoot off the sticks, so we only spotted from the vehicle, then went in on foot when a good bull was spotted.
After a couple busted stalks, we finally got in on a group successfully, and I put my Nyala down !
This pattern would repeat over the following days, though we did occasionally go to larger areas looking for other species.
I shot my BERGARA Highlander in .300 WinMag on this trip, and was once again very pleased with it's performance. The Highlander is now discontinued, and I know some found/find it a little heavy, but I don't mind its weight at all. It's not oppressive, it's just not as light as some of the sexy light mountain rifles that have come out since. And that little extra weight makes it SO steady off the sticks !

I had purchased a set of the Danish Viper Flex quad sticks a couple months back, and I had done a LOT of practicing at home with my .22 and my .223 getting ready for this trip, so when I switched to the bigger gun my shooting was natural and on point !
I was really in the zone on this trip.
I fired a total of eight shots...
2 shots literally in the same hole, and on the bullseye, on day one, verifying my zero...
4 one shot, DRT kills on the point of aim on my animals during the course of my hunt... and...
2 shots hitting a half of a 12" steel in the near dark, off a field expedient rest, at 500 yards on the last night, just for fun.

I took a great Nyala, which was a bucket list animal for me, a beautiful Golden Wildebeest, a 27" Common Impala, and a beautiful Black Impala.

Rob was shooting his Shaw Custom in .35 Whelen, but he was having a bit of a bad stretch with his shooting this time. He had a couple misses early on, and a long, blood trailing recovery later in the week, but he did finally take a really nice Blue Wildebeest, a nice Springbok, and an old warrior of a Common Impala.

All in all I would have to say I agree with other reports on Limpopo and Numzaan.
The outfitter is extremely professional and organized and employs good people, but the properties are small and the fencing extensive enough that the hunt feels tame and very similar to shooting inside the high fence exotic operations in Texas.
The flat country is also not beautiful or evocative of your African dream. I'm glad this wasn't my intro to African hunting, or I might not have gotten the addiction as bad (good?) as I did.
That said, we did have a fun hunt, and we did laugh a lot with our tracker and our PH, and we did take some nice animals.
A hunt is often what you make of it !
Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Safari.jpg
    Safari.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Stalking.jpg
    Stalking.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Blue Wildebeest.jpg
    Blue Wildebeest.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Impala Rob.JPG
    Impala Rob.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • Impala.JPG
    Impala.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • Nyala.jpg
    Nyala.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • Springbok.jpeg
    Springbok.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Winkabeest and Wildebeest.JPG
    Winkabeest and Wildebeest.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Wildebeest Rob2.jpeg
    Wildebeest Rob2.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 25
  • Black Impala2.jpeg
    Black Impala2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Hard wear to the hardware.JPG
    Hard wear to the hardware.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Tools3.JPG
    Tools3.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
Funny, we tacked this exact hunt on to the front end of a Dande buffalo hunt in 2019. The property we hunted was extremely rough and hilly. The lodge, beyond 5 star with an executive chef sat atop a Koppe and we were the only guests on the property. Not all of Limpopo is flat!

Funny, we tacked this exact hunt on to the front end of a Dande buffalo hunt in 2019. The property we hunted was extremely rough and hilly. The lodge, beyond 5 star with an executive chef sat atop a Koppe and we were the only guests on the property. Not all of Limpopo is flat!
I feel like Numzaan is a big company with a lot of properties.
All those that we hunted were almost completely flat, and our food and accommodations, while quite comfortable, were definitely not 5 star... obviously a satellite type of camp.

I feel like Numzaan is a big company with a lot of properties.
All those that we hunted were almost completely flat, and our food and accommodations, while quite comfortable, were definitely not 5 star... obviously a satellite type of camp.

Sounds like you had a good hunt. Ours was crazy. We were in the private lodge of a Swedish billionaire with his private chef. No idea how we scored that place, but it would have been worth flying over for even if we didn’t hunt.

Appreciate the honest report. My first Limpopo hunt was somewhat similar to this. It was fun at time but not what I’m looking for now. There are more challenging properties and mountainous properties but I feel you need to know exactly what you are looking for and plan it out with outfitter.

Were those Norma bondstrike? Did you recover any bullets?

I hunted with Numzaan on an auction hunt in June of this year, sounds like a similar donation package of two Nyala bulls for 2 hunters. Your experience and mine sound identical. The people there were great and professional, food was excellent and our lodge was very nice. The properties were much smaller than my previous hunt experiences and not what I preferred but were in line with what I was expecting. As I mentioned in my report overall it felt more like a shot versus a hunt. Overall Numzaan was a pleasant experience but not some place I would personally look at going back to due simply to the properties we hunted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TammaraLea

Latest profile posts

Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles