Ammo pouch, belts and culling belts

I just looked up their site. Looks like the quality is there. Everything appears to be hand stitched. The stitch lines are grooved, marked, and straight. The edges of the leather are straight, even, and beveled. The leather appears to be tight grained and high quality. They have some unique ideas and designs. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase anything from them.

They look very well made
ad2c23e7-6efa-4a4e-bc7f-68925853be3e.jpeg
758a5a12-30c7-4cd0-b55e-973b5248ca95.jpeg
b0b7ad88-3663-480c-bf16-2c44bc060920.jpeg

They do look fantastic. Let us know if you decide to buy anything.

I bought a belt and pouch for my wife and I.
top picture. .375 and .416

A culling belt . 416

An everyday day pants belt

Two bino harnesses

They do look nice. I have a Dick Murray cartridge belt with leather loops and absolutely love it. Fits 300WM to 458 LOTT.

They do look very nice. And I haven't done a lot of comparison shopping, but the prices seem very reasonable. I imagine shipping probably negates that. But I also will be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I didn't have access to this earlier when I posted...Dick Murray Cartridge Belt.
1692215323436.png

Greetings gents

Honest question as I'm new to the whole hunt Africa thing. I realize there's a lot of history and romance about the whole thing and I'm not completely immune to that.
Do most of you prefer leather for the historical nostalgia or is there actually some practicality to it?

I would assume (having not yet been to Africa) that it's hot. Damn hot. Africa hot. (couldn't resist) and for something like these bullet holder belts a nylon or canvas would be more the ticket for weight and retention of moisture and grime.

Before any pearl clutching occurs over my possibly heretical statements, I'll disclose that I like wood and blued steel in my bang sticks.
In Texas, hunting is easy - I'm in a blind with my coffee (or other liquid) and the feeder goes off and out comes bambi. Bang, flop, truck ride, gambrel, cooler. It's easy. In such times hunt with my Dad's old full length mannlicher stocked 77RSI. Gorgeous gun. Or a ruger no 1 RSI in wood & stainless.
But when it's nasty or i'm hunting PNW or in snow, it's composite and stainless and gore-tex.

Greetings gents

Honest question as I'm new to the whole hunt Africa thing. I realize there's a lot of history and romance about the whole thing and I'm not completely immune to that.
Do most of you prefer leather for the historical nostalgia or is there actually some practicality to it?

I would assume (having not yet been to Africa) that it's hot. Damn hot. Africa hot. (couldn't resist) and for something like these bullet holder belts a nylon or canvas would be more the ticket for weight and retention of moisture and grime.

Before any pearl clutching occurs over my possibly heretical statements, I'll disclose that I like wood and blued steel in my bang sticks.
In Texas, hunting is easy - I'm in a blind with my coffee (or other liquid) and the feeder goes off and out comes bambi. Bang, flop, truck ride, gambrel, cooler. It's easy. In such times hunt with my Dad's old full length mannlicher stocked 77RSI. Gorgeous gun. Or a ruger no 1 RSI in wood & stainless.
But when it's nasty or i'm hunting PNW or in snow, it's composite and stainless and gore-tex.
First, welcome to the posting side. In Africa even more than any other location, comfort is the first attribute to all your gear, second is noise, including the ammo holder. There are many beautiful belts/holders out there just as there are beautiful guns. If you are shooting a bolt-action you will already have 3 to 5 rounds there. I have never needed more than 5 or 6 extra rounds for the day. If you are actually culling, that's a bit different. I never leave the truck without about 20 rounds including both soft and solids, but the extras go in my day pack. In looking back over 8 safaris, I have never used more than 12 rounds total on 5 to 7 animals - except for culling. My holder carries 6 rounds plus what's in the gun and is leather with elastic straps inside a magnetic flap. works like a charm and doesn't weigh my pants down. These are beautiful belts above!

Greetings gents

I'm a more modern style guy shooting a Blaser R8 with top quality glass, not exactly traditional. That said I've chosen the Murray Cartridge Belt because (IMO) it's the best solution for what I wanted. Hold all my cartridges for the day plus a knife. Bonus points for doing it in style with leather loops.

1692226569452.png

If I had wanted something a little more modern (and possibly practical), I would have gotten the same belt with elastic loops. Nothing wrong with that either. Still a beautiful belt. If you are buying a Dick Murray product, you will not go wrong.

I have a belt slide which in reality all you really need. I also have a culling belt which in reality is just for show.

I would assume (having not yet been to Africa) that it's hot. Damn hot. Africa hot. (couldn't resist) and for something like these bullet holder belts a nylon or canvas would be more the ticket for weight and retention of moisture and grime..

It’s actually cool (sometimes cold) and typically pretty dry…

Remember that most of us hunt Africa during our summer, which is their winter… and that most of the countries commonly hunted like South Africa, Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia, etc are on the southern part of the continent (far from the equator)..

I typically hunt South Africa in July… temps this year were in the mid 30’s each morning when we set out and got into the high 60’s each day… 2 years ago it was bitter cold the week we hunted with lows in the mid 20’s and highs most days in the mid 40’s…

Out of 6 “summer” hunts in South Africa I have only seen rain 1 time… the storm lasted about 4 hours and hit right at the end of the day… I’m sure other provinces have different weather patterns.. but my experience in Limpopo and the NW province has always been very dry and very cool conditions…

Cape Town did get a little rain while we were there in July… but just a quick 1 hour shower on 2 different days, and then it was gone..

I use leather out of nostalgia mostly.. I like the way it looks and feels and smells… I also make my own leather products (cartridge slide, knife sheath, belt, etc).. and just enjoy knowing that a large amount of the kit I am using I built (I also build my own rifles, load my own ammo, make my own knives, etc…)

Truth be told a $6 elastic cartridge slide would likely serve me just as well as my Cape buffalo hide cartridge slide… but I’ve never hunted an elastibeest… I did take the buff my belt, cartridge slide, rifle sling, knife sheath, and even my hunting boots were made from…

Ahhh... yes. that sounds nice with the cool dry weather. I knew it was southern hemi but from watching videos, people were still sweaty and wearing shorts. Big continent... likely highly variable regions and climates but first impressions and what not. Appreciate the notes.

I certainly dig the visuals of the leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtgfhghjyt456

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.