Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NAHC
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Florida, Wyoming, Arizona
I've been trying to find a good pair of boots for high altitude hunting and cant seem to find anything in wide sizes. My first pick was Kenetrek, but medium width seems to be all they make.

Meindle is one brand that I'm familiar with and they are available in wide sizes.

Danner has a Pronghorn model that's all lightweight leather, and my regular boots that I wear for deer and small game are Danner, so I'm positive they'll fit, but might not be the best choice for high mountain hunting.

Are there other brands that would be suitable for a Chamois hunt that are available in WIDE width? I normally wear a 12.5 or 13 wide.

Last edited:
Lowa, Zamberlin, Han Wag, Crispi

Romania in late September, just north of Bucharest. Wooded and wet at lower elevation, cold and rocky at higher elevation.

I just returned from a chamois hunt in Slovenia. I used hiking boots, big mistake, you need mountaineering boots, but not the plastic shell kind. My guide had Scarpa.

Romania you might be able to get away with hiking boots. My wife bought a pair of Crispi and loves them.

Last edited:
Danner Pronghorn are definately out. the soles are way too soft and flexible for rocky country.

I used Kenetrek for a Chamois hunt in the Italian alps and they worked well. I needed them too in that terrain. I have a wide foot and I think they are fine. FWIW, I hunted Romania for Roe deer once and used Courtney's. Some grassy hills were all we had to handle. Cheers

I just returned from a chamois hunt in Slovenia. I used hiking boots, big mistake, you need mountaineering boots, but not the plastic shell kind. My guide had Scarpa.

Romania you might be able to get away with hiking boots. My wife bought a pair of Crispi and loves them.

YES!! Mountaineering boots will have a much stiffer sole and importantly have a very rigid lateral torsion. All important for steep, rocky terrain. I have a pair of Scarpa Chamois and love them in terrain like that.

YES!! Mountaineering boots will have a much stiffer sole and importantly have a very rigid lateral torsion. All important for steep, rocky terrain. I have a pair of Scarpa Chamois and love them in terrain like that.
That's Scarpa Charmoz....

Lowa and Zamberlin are both great boots. I wear a 10.5 EE and find the Lowa’s fit perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
razorsharkRussel

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?