Africa With Kids

Elkeater

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I will start this with I have now completed exactly one safari. But I did it with my Family.

If your interested in my hunt report it’s here: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...uth-africa-sensational-hunting-safaris.83234/

Prior to this trip I saw a number of people asking on the forum about taking kids with them so I thought Id post my experience and thoughts on hunting Africa with kids.

This safari was a family affair from the start. And honestly we didn’t even initiate the idea. My brother and sister in law actually invited us along and my wife said yes before I could even think about it.

We went with Sensational Hunting Safaris in the Waterburg Mountain area of Limpopo and we had an awesome time.

Hunting with my kids has always been important to me. I started taking them with me on deer hunts and coyote hunts at some pretty young ages. They were each probably about 4-5 when they started going with. I also started them shooting at about the same age with a .22lr. I think it’s important to expose the kids to hunting early but I never intended nor do I force hunting on my kids. I always figured if I showed them what hunting is and they took an interest in it then great! If not that was ok too. Prior to our first safari both kids had developed a taste for hunting. My 10 year old daughter Hannah is pretty into it at this point. My 9 year old son Sam wasnt quite as into as his sister but that started changing in the last year or so and he’s getting into it more now.

Deciding to allow them to go and hunt:
Deciding on taking the kids wasn’t hard. We’ve traveled to other countries like grand cayman and Mexico so my kids weren’t totally new to travel. My wife wanted the whole family to go and with my daughter’s interest in hunting having her as one of the main hunters with her own package was a no brainer while my wife and son were initially going to be observers. By the time we went to Africa both kids had taken a couple big game animals here in the states so hunting wasn’t new to them. About 6 months ahead of our trip my son expressed interest in wanting to hunt as well. Specifically he wanted a warthog (which he did get a beautiful boar) and maybe an impala or blesbok. We made a quick call to the outfitter who was easily able to accommodate our request to allow Sam to take a couple of animals. We made the decision to allow the kids to hunt based upon their desire to hunt and not our desire to make them hunt. We simply opened the doors to allow them to experience Africa and let them decide to what extent they wanted to participate. The only other concern we had was food. Kids can be picky and mine aren’t any different but we’ve always been big on trying new foods in our house and I think my kids were old enough to deal with new foods because they both decided they were going to try everything at least once. In the end they loved almost everything. Even my daughter who is somewhat notorious for avoiding spices gladly helped herself to seconds of many dishes. It probably helps no one in my house avoids meat.

Preparing for the trip:
Like everyone else the kids had to prepare. We made them part of the process. We had them pick out their clothes, shoes, hats, etc. we of course provided guidance on what types of things to bring. This was actually really helpful because they knew exactly what they had available to them once we got there.

We are a pretty outdoor oriented family anyways so my kids know how to be outside so there were no issues there. We hike, rock climb, camp, paddleboard, fish, hunt, etc. Makes it easy to add on outdoor adventures.

Shooting. This was one area we spent a lot of time. Now my kids have been shooting for years but mostly off a bench or bipod. So knowing they would have to shoot off sticks I had them shoot off sticks. We probably went through 2,000 rounds of .22lr ammo in the 6 months leading up to our trip. I also had each shoot the 7-08 rem I have at least a few times each practice session. We didn’t shoot a lot of paper. I set up 5” steel plates at 100 yards and 3” plates at 50 yards and had them shoot those. All standing off the sticks. This really paid off because they made good shots and we never had to track a single animal they took.

Shot placement was critical. I bought a copy of “The perfect shot” and we spent a lot of time looking at the photos and reading about the animals before our trip. When the time came each kid knew where to put a bullet. Again time well spent resulting in clean kills and no lost animals.

Setting Expectations:
We set expectations with the kids before the trip. Yes they had their wish lists of animals but I made sure they understood it was hunting and made sure they managed their expectations for the trip. We also talked about trying new foods and being open to new ideas. They took everything in stride.

The PH is Crucial:
Our PH Petie Boon was awesome! I felt
Like he went out of his way to help the kids and once when maybe I was a little hard on my son he even politely offered a little fatherly advice to me. He has an adult son who is now a PH after all so he probably can offer some good parenting advice. We spent extra time setting up shots for the kids but he also pushed them a bit. For example my daughter was pretty adamant about not shooting over 100 yards. With a little coaching I think she actually made the three longest shots of anyone on the trip with a Blesbok at 197yards, a Zebra at exactly 200 and a Springbok at 210 yards. When my son struggled with a blesbok because they never stop moving and are always bunched up, Petie kept that in mind and when an opportunity on a lone Blue Wildebeest came up he suggested to me that we allow my son to take it instead of a blesbok. Sam shot the bull at 75 yards and made a perfect shot. My son wanted a warthog in the worst sort of way and Petie made it happen. That involved a long hot sit in the dust and sun, crossing paths with Cape buffalo, and my son getting so overwhelmed by all the warthogs and other things going on around him that he started to cry. Both myself and Petie took turns encouraging him and my son eventually pulled himself together and killed an excellent warthog. Petie gave my son a huge hug when the boar was down on the spot. I think we were both equally proud of Sam because that was a really hard hunt for him between the dirt, heat, his bloody nose, and maybe a little chaos in the warthogs running in every direction.

Managing my expectations and desires:
I had a three animal package and originally planned on shooting a Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog. I then planned to add on a kudu, bushbuck, and Zebra. I got lucky and shot a Kudu the first night and shot my Impala, and warthog the first morning. I let Sam shoot my Blue wildebeest, and didn’t pull the trigger again until the last day. I found so much enjoyment in letting my kids pull the trigger that I honestly didn’t really feel the need to hunt much myself. My daughter had killed the very first animal of the trip when she shot an impala the first afternoon. Sam shot his wildebeest the second afternoon. Hannah got her Zebra on the morning of day 3 and her steenbok the evening of day 3. Hannah got her springbok the morning of day 4 and Sam got his warthog at last light on day 4. Sam opted to be done with having taken two animals, Hannah added a Blesbok which was not originally on her list the last morning. I shot a big Nyala the last afternoon and a porcupine that night.

Things I would have done different:
Honestly not much. Maybe a little more time on the front end to rest. Travel to Africa is hard on adults. It’s harder on a kid. They did really well but they were really tired. Sam fell asleep in his hunting clothes and missed dinner the first night. I should have taken more pictures and videos of the kids.

The Bottom line:
I think you can take your kids on a Safari. It depends on the kid though. I felt comfortable taking mine I know people who wouldn’t feel comfortable taking their teenagers. My kids put in the work before the trip and made it apparent they wanted to go and took the trip seriously. If they hadn’t wanted to shoot and practice beforehand or pack their clothes or study shot placement I may have still felt fine in letting them go along but I sure wouldn’t have let them hunt. I also don’t think I would have taken them at a much younger age just because I don’t think much younger they’d really remember the trip. But that’s just my opinion too. My kids loved every minute of Africa. They already have their list of animals they want to take when we go back. You can bet I’ll be working overtime and feeding their new Africa habit.

IMG_4599.jpeg
IMG_4594.jpeg

I will start this with I have now completed exactly one safari. But I did it with my Family.

If your interested in my hunt report it’s here: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...uth-africa-sensational-hunting-safaris.83234/

Prior to this trip I saw a number of people asking on the forum about taking kids with them so I thought Id post my experience and thoughts on hunting Africa with kids.

This safari was a family affair from the start. And honestly we didn’t even initiate the idea. My brother and sister in law actually invited us along and my wife said yes before I could even think about it.

We went with Sensational Hunting Safaris in the Waterburg Mountain area of Limpopo and we had an awesome time.

Hunting with my kids has always been important to me. I started taking them with me on deer hunts and coyote hunts at some pretty young ages. They were each probably about 4-5 when they started going with. I also started them shooting at about the same age with a .22lr. I think it’s important to expose the kids to hunting early but I never intended nor do I force hunting on my kids. I always figured if I showed them what hunting is and they took an interest in it then great! If not that was ok too. Prior to our first safari both kids had developed a taste for hunting. My 10 year old daughter Hannah is pretty into it at this point. My 9 year old son Sam wasnt quite as into as his sister but that started changing in the last year or so and he’s getting into it more now.

Deciding to allow them to go and hunt:
Deciding on taking the kids wasn’t hard. We’ve traveled to other countries like grand cayman and Mexico so my kids weren’t totally new to travel. My wife wanted the whole family to go and with my daughter’s interest in hunting having her as one of the main hunters with her own package was a no brainer while my wife and son were initially going to be observers. By the time we went to Africa both kids had taken a couple big game animals here in the states so hunting wasn’t new to them. About 6 months ahead of our trip my son expressed interest in wanting to hunt as well. Specifically he wanted a warthog (which he did get a beautiful boar) and maybe an impala or blesbok. We made a quick call to the outfitter who was easily able to accommodate our request to allow Sam to take a couple of animals. We made the decision to allow the kids to hunt based upon their desire to hunt and not our desire to make them hunt. We simply opened the doors to allow them to experience Africa and let them decide to what extent they wanted to participate. The only other concern we had was food. Kids can be picky and mine aren’t any different but we’ve always been big on trying new foods in our house and I think my kids were old enough to deal with new foods because they both decided they were going to try everything at least once. In the end they loved almost everything. Even my daughter who is somewhat notorious for avoiding spices gladly helped herself to seconds of many dishes. It probably helps no one in my house avoids meat.

Preparing for the trip:
Like everyone else the kids had to prepare. We made them part of the process. We had them pick out their clothes, shoes, hats, etc. we of course provided guidance on what types of things to bring. This was actually really helpful because they knew exactly what they had available to them once we got there.

We are a pretty outdoor oriented family anyways so my kids know how to be outside so there were no issues there. We hike, rock climb, camp, paddleboard, fish, hunt, etc. Makes it easy to add on outdoor adventures.

Shooting. This was one area we spent a lot of time. Now my kids have been shooting for years but mostly off a bench or bipod. So knowing they would have to shoot off sticks I had them shoot off sticks. We probably went through 2,000 rounds of .22lr ammo in the 6 months leading up to our trip. I also had each shoot the 7-08 rem I have at least a few times each practice session. We didn’t shoot a lot of paper. I set up 5” steel plates at 100 yards and 3” plates at 50 yards and had them shoot those. All standing off the sticks. This really paid off because they made good shots and we never had to track a single animal they took.

Shot placement was critical. I bought a copy of “The perfect shot” and we spent a lot of time looking at the photos and reading about the animals before our trip. When the time came each kid knew where to put a bullet. Again time well spent resulting in clean kills and no lost animals.

Setting Expectations:
We set expectations with the kids before the trip. Yes they had their wish lists of animals but I made sure they understood it was hunting and made sure they managed their expectations for the trip. We also talked about trying new foods and being open to new ideas. They took everything in stride.

The PH is Crucial:
Our PH Petie Boon was awesome! I felt
Like he went out of his way to help the kids and once when maybe I was a little hard on my son he even politely offered a little fatherly advice to me. He has an adult son who is now a PH after all so he probably can offer some good parenting advice. We spent extra time setting up shots for the kids but he also pushed them a bit. For example my daughter was pretty adamant about not shooting over 100 yards. With a little coaching I think she actually made the three longest shots of anyone on the trip with a Blesbok at 197yards, a Zebra at exactly 200 and a Springbok at 210 yards. When my son struggled with a blesbok because they never stop moving and are always bunched up, Petie kept that in mind and when an opportunity on a lone Blue Wildebeest came up he suggested to me that we allow my son to take it instead of a blesbok. Sam shot the bull at 75 yards and made a perfect shot. My son wanted a warthog in the worst sort of way and Petie made it happen. That involved a long hot sit in the dust and sun, crossing paths with Cape buffalo, and my son getting so overwhelmed by all the warthogs and other things going on around him that he started to cry. Both myself and Petie took turns encouraging him and my son eventually pulled himself together and killed an excellent warthog. Petie gave my son a huge hug when the boar was down on the spot. I think we were both equally proud of Sam because that was a really hard hunt for him between the dirt, heat, his bloody nose, and maybe a little chaos in the warthogs running in every direction.

Managing my expectations and desires:
I had a three animal package and originally planned on shooting a Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog. I then planned to add on a kudu, bushbuck, and Zebra. I got lucky and shot a Kudu the first night and shot my Impala, and warthog the first morning. I let Sam shoot my Blue wildebeest, and didn’t pull the trigger again until the last day. I found so much enjoyment in letting my kids pull the trigger that I honestly didn’t really feel the need to hunt much myself. My daughter had killed the very first animal of the trip when she shot an impala the first afternoon. Sam shot his wildebeest the second afternoon. Hannah got her Zebra on the morning of day 3 and her steenbok the evening of day 3. Hannah got her springbok the morning of day 4 and Sam got his warthog at last light on day 4. Sam opted to be done with having taken two animals, Hannah added a Blesbok which was not originally on her list the last morning. I shot a big Nyala the last afternoon and a porcupine that night.

Things I would have done different:
Honestly not much. Maybe a little more time on the front end to rest. Travel to Africa is hard on adults. It’s harder on a kid. They did really well but they were really tired. Sam fell asleep in his hunting clothes and missed dinner the first night. I should have taken more pictures and videos of the kids.

The Bottom line:
I think you can take your kids on a Safari. It depends on the kid though. I felt comfortable taking mine I know people who wouldn’t feel comfortable taking their teenagers. My kids put in the work before the trip and made it apparent they wanted to go and took the trip seriously. If they hadn’t wanted to shoot and practice beforehand or pack their clothes or study shot placement I may have still felt fine in letting them go along but I sure wouldn’t have let them hunt. I also don’t think I would have taken them at a much younger age just because I don’t think much younger they’d really remember the trip. But that’s just my opinion too. My kids loved every minute of Africa. They already have their list of animals they want to take when we go back. You can bet I’ll be working overtime and feeding their new Africa habit.

View attachment 616698View attachment 616699

BIG Congrats to Sam with a wildebeest as his first African animal and following it up with a nice warthog.

BIG Congrats to Hannah on getting her animals at those long distances. Nice zebra.

BIG Congrats to mom and dad in getting the kids involved with the before, and during, the hunts, trying new foods, and experiences.

BIG Congrats to Petie on helping the youngsters in their respective successes.

:unsure: Very Good on the hunting report. Just missing a couple of things from being a Great hunting report:

1. Need the After the hunt part....taxidermy, definately more photos would have been nice, and perhaps having Mom, and especially Sam and Hannah add in their own perspective in preparing, during, and after the hunt.

2. Some insight as to Where is and What is Momma doing during the hunts? After all can't leave momma out of this great adventure.

3. Maybe some brief insight as to the brother and sister-in-law activities since they did initiate your family with the non curable, highly infectous, Africa Addiction.:cool::ROFLMAO:

When has Sam and Hannah decided on the family's need to return to Africa?:A Outta::D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

I for one would be interested in their next choices of animals to hunt.

Thanks for the awesome report.

BIG Congrats to Sam with a wildebeest as his first African animal and following it up with a nice warthog.

BIG Congrats to Hannah on getting her animals at those long distances. Nice zebra.

BIG Congrats to mom and dad in getting the kids involved with the before, and during, the hunts, trying new foods, and experiences.

BIG Congrats to Petie on helping the youngsters in their respective successes.

:unsure: Very Good on the hunting report. Just missing a couple of things from being a Great hunting report:

1. Need the After the hunt part....taxidermy, definately more photos would have been nice, and perhaps having Mom, and especially Sam and Hannah add in their own perspective in preparing, during, and after the hunt.

2. Some insight as to Where is and What is Momma doing during the hunts? After all can't leave momma out of this great adventure.

3. Maybe some brief insight as to the brother and sister-in-law activities since they did initiate your family with the non curable, highly infectous, Africa Addiction.:cool::ROFLMAO:

When has Sam and Hannah decided on the family's need to return to Africa?:A Outta::D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

I for one would be interested in their next choices of animals to hunt.

Thanks for the awesome report.
Lots there to get too!

1. Still working through the aftermath. They have a recommended taxidermist they use. Waiting on an email from them right now on a quote before deciding on dip and pack or full taxidermy work there. Many of the animals in the lodge were done by them so I had the opportunity to see their work up close. Otherwise the other option is bullseye taxidermy.

I haven’t seen the kids journals they kept during the trip but I’d be pretty curious on what they wrote in there. I know my wife loved the trip. She loved the food, hospitality, weather, animals.

2. Momma was right there for almost all of it! Riding along in the high rack. Watching the kids take their animals in almost every case except a couple. The only times Sam and my wife excused themselves was the couple of nights of night hunting we did. It got chilly at night and they opted to stay in and enjoy the campfire and a warm bed.

3. We actually hunted as a big family group nearly the entire time. It made it an incredibly fun and busy trip. Taking 22 animals between 5 of us. The only day my brother and his wife didn’t hunt with us was one morning while we slept in they went out to hunt warthog on a neighbor’s farm. They are planning to go back with us too!

Now the fun part, the lists. Sam wants a black and a golden wildebeest as well as another warthog. Hannah wants her impala slam. She fell in love with the various impala colors especially the black impala. I want to finish my spiral slam with an Eland and a bushbuck. The wife wants to maybe add a few days to enjoy Cape Town. The plan for our return is taxidermy and shipping bill in ‘25, deposit down in ‘26 with a return in ‘27.

IMG_0969.jpeg
IMG_4430.jpeg
IMG_4332.jpeg
IMG_4290.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg
IMG_4609.jpeg

Awesome.

Can it be accurately said that each family member kept their own journal?

Perhaps a couple of interesting excerpts from each of their journals; mom's, Hannah's, and Sam's? Something in a note comparison on each member's view of a particular hunt or hunts?

Ooh,...the plot thickens:

Could we be reading reports on a bit of family rivalry on completing slams?

Could we be reading how everyone is employed earning funds for the family's future African Safaris?

And sadly could we be reading headlines "Busted. Entire family working, seeking to go on multiple African Safaris, busted for violation of child labor laws." :E Rofl:

This would be the best, most interesting, reality show ever produced. :unsure::unsure::D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

Your kids have a great dad. Good job! Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CornellK26

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.