Hunted
US - CANADA

Attachments

hello All

could you take a moment to look at this rifle listing and give your opinion

I'm wondering if this authentic or some put-to-gether

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1034173843

thank you
I’m sure someone far more knowledgeable than I will come along and comment but the bolt handle isn’t original. I don’t think the bottom metal is either. It’s a travesty that someone drilled and tapped it for scope use. Also, like it’s been refinished to me (could be wrong).

Sweet Jesus that ad is painful to read, it’s like a twelve year old was in charge of the fonts. Also, wasn’t this round built to fit in a standard action?

Stripper clip slot?

It appears to be a standard type A Mauser that has had the bolt handle and safety altered for a scope. I have had Mausers in 10.75 and none of them had a magnum action.

Sweet Jesus that ad is painful to read, it’s like a twelve year old was in charge of the fonts. Also, wasn’t this round built to fit in a standard action?

Agreed, that listing is atrocious. I would run away for that reason alone - it just screams "used car salesman/BS artist" to me. However, I am not an expert on these rifles, and at least one person on GB thought it was worth $5k.

Nice rifle. If the rifle were re-blacked it was done very competently. The white highlighting tends to really accentuate buffed areas of any lettering or proof marks. I do not see that in this case.

What I am confident is a fairly recent modification is the bolt handle and what looks to be a replacement safety flag or mod of an original to allow the use of the safety with a scope in place. Note how far it rotates downward in fire position.

As @wvfred notes, the one 10.75 I owned was also built on a military style .98 action.

So, I think it is original rifle that has been modified for scope use. Likely safe to assume that the stock was cleaned up at some point.

Agreed, that listing is atrocious. I would run away for that reason alone - it just screams "used car salesman/BS artist" to me. However, I am not
I think that the only thing missing is the standard line added

"BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE. BUY NOW IN THE NEXT 30 MINUTES AND WE WILL DOUBLE THE OFFER, TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE, PLUS FREE SHIPPING"

Nice rifle. If the rifle were re-blacked it was done very competently. The white highlighting tends to really accentuate buffed areas of any lettering or proof marks. I do not see that in this case.

What I am confident is a fairly recent modification is the bolt handle and what looks to be a replacement safety flag or mod of an original to allow the use of the safety with a scope in place. Note how far it rotates downward in fire position.

As @wvfred notes, the one 10.75 I owned was also built on a military style .98 action.

So, I think it is original rifle that has been modified for scope use. Likely safe to assume that the stock was cleaned up at some point.
And no, that is a standard military style 98 action that was used on the vast majority of commercial Mausers of the period - not a MAGNUM. The seller is an idiot.

Wood , bolt and safety not original Orbendorf Mauser. Also Mauser used a different scope mounting system. They never drilled and taped. Also serial number too high for an action with Wafenfabrk marking . This was stopped after WW1 .

And no, that is a standard military style 98 action that was used on the vast majority of commercial Mausers of the period - not a MAGNUM. The seller is an idiot.
Hopefully the buyer figures it out and wins the claim they should submit when it's not as advertised.

Not sure if they'll be able to see clearly enough though --- my eyes got cancer trying to read through that listing. If the buyer did went through it for more than a few seconds they might not have retinas left to use when inspecting the purchase.

Yes .. I saw that its 1930-1931 BUG proofs ..... and that, if original, the bolt handle was ground to clear a scope .... and later low-profile fafety ... and that the receiver has been drilled and tapped .... if its actually a magnum length action is not known from the pictures ... or is it ....

The bidding sure did go ballistic

1708455527348.png

That is 100% NOT a magnum action.
All magnums have straddle floor plates - that’s the easy tell from the bottom view.

The rifle was once a nice TypeA but has the bolt modified, stock notched for the modded bolt, safety modified rings drilled and tapped for scope bases, the rear bridge poorly ground for the rear scope base.

Somebody bought into the hype on the ad and paid double what it is worth IMO.

I have never seen one with a magnum action but it's possible.

Me neither, and it would be pretty illogical because the cartridge was designed to fit in a normal Mauser 98 action. Very cheap rifles were produced for this cartridge, which also explains its widespread use in Africa. Using Mauser magnum actions would have pushed these rifles into a completely different price range and are also absolutely unnecessary for this relatively small cartridge.

Another sodomized Type A. Pity. Bolt handle and stock altered, new safety and perhaps new wood, or a cleanup of a oil soak stock, that should have been done using some alkanet root to give it a more red colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobbyGrego

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]