A Journey Into Africa’s Wild Heart By Marc Newton

RIGBY

Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrigbyandco.com
Deals & offers
Articles
I’ve always been captivated by the allure of Africa, so when the opportunity arose for me to embark on a hunting expedition in Zimbabwe last year, I seized it with both hands. My passion for hunting, coupled with my role as MD of Rigby has granted me the privilege of venturing to Africa upwards of 15 times. Each country boasts its own unique charm, but Zimbabwe holds a special place in my heart.

Africa’s bush feels like a second home. There’s an ease I find out there that’s hard to replicate. It’s like a magnetic pull that keeps me coming back. I watched Out of Africa again over the weekend while I was traveling. Meryl Streep’s character, Karen Blixen, hit the nail on the head when she talked about Africa’s intense colours and ravishing landscapes. There’s something about the place – it’s like a burst of life. Even the driest mopane forests in winter have this unique colour palette you won’t find anywhere else.

IMG_1043-1024x768.jpg

Somebody once told me that the first time you inhale African dust, it hooks you for life. I can vouch for that. It’s an addiction that never really gets satisfied, no matter how many trips you make. But what really keeps me locked in is the people. There’s an unspoken connection, and the way everyone comes together, despite their individual stories, is something else.

I was particularly excited about this trip, as it fulfilled a long-held dream of mine. I’ve always wanted to hunt with Professional Hunter (PH) Buzz Charlton, who has been a hero of mine since my youth. I loved watching his videos growing up. Buzz is such a legendary figure in the hunting world that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to hunt alongside him. I was also thrilled to share this adventure with Davis Peterson, a dear friend of mine and loyal Rigby customer. I’ve known Dave since I was a boy apprenticing at J. Roberts & Son gunmakers. He donated to us, on loan, an original Rigby Rising Bite, which we used to reverse engineer and reproduce the Rising Bite rifle of today.

IMG_1239-1024x768.jpg

Our journey unfolded in the sprawling landscapes of Maitengwe, a vast expanse bordering Botswana. Thick mopane forests and dry riverbeds set the stage for our pursuit. Our accommodations were nothing short of spectacular – cosy tented houses, with a central tented ‘mess hall’ serving as our communal hub for evening dinner and drinks.

In preparation for the expedition, I selected my gear and trained extensively. As I was going to be carrying a .500 Rising Bite double rifle, trips to the range to get familiar with shooting the double triggers and reloading quickly were essential.

Days began early. Our routine involved venturing out at the crack of dawn, then having lunch and a siesta somewhere, before hunting again in the afternoon and back to camp in the evening. We were tracking animals on dirt roads and unforgiving terrain. Walking was essential, and physical fitness was paramount. Our seasoned PH, Buzz advocated for walking safaris – an approach I resonated with. While vehicles helped us to pick up tracks, actually being on foot, sometimes for 25-30km in the day meant there was a significant amount of prep work that needed to go into your fitness.

When the hunts were on, we loaded up with water, got our sunscreen on and it was off to the bush we went. Watching the trackers move at quite a speed – there are some areas where I couldn’t even follow the tracks and they were moving quickly and still able to see them. I think the magic of not knowing quite exactly what you’re going to walk up on at the other end is what keeps you going in the heat and continue to carry yourself in fairly difficult terrain. We had some success on the hunt, which was fantastic for both Dave and I.

My choice of rifle proved invaluable as we encountered a variety of species. Although the region offered limited game diversity, the sheer abundance of the species’ present was heartening to see. The protection afforded to the game means that the game prospers and poaching is minimal.

Interactions with the local communities left an indelible mark on me. After one successful hunt, I witnessed hundreds of people come together to share in the harvest. These are people who may not have had protein for weeks if not months. To see the joy and raw humanity on display, of people taking meat and putting it in hessian bags to take back to feed their families is probably the single most rewarding thing I’ve experienced in my entire hunting career.

Africa has a way of inviting you to be present, to savour every moment. Amidst the challenges and triumphs, I found myself immersed in the colours, sounds, and sensations of the wild. It’s a reminder that life is a gift, and we should seize every opportunity to live it fully.

For those considering a hunting expedition in Zimbabwe, my advice is simple: Just do it. Life is fleeting, and these experiences enrich us in ways we cannot fathom. The privilege of being part of a tradition that supports communities, conservation, and the true spirit of Africa is a legacy worth pursuing.

IMG_2041-768x1024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNZMia9113

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]