9.3x62 Bison Cow Hunt

John Wasmuth

AH legend
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
6,942
Media
5
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
Yesterday my dear friend invited me out to cull an older bison cow. I used my Zastava 98 Mauser in 9.3x62. Load was 53.9 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR powder with a 286 grain Hornady SPRP. Took a while to get the herd located but finally found them. At 25 yards Hit her in the neck right behind the skull. Fastest I’d ever seen a bison hit the ground. Got freezer full of meat with no damage to the meat except a fist size chunk where the bullet went through the vertebrae. Haven’t found the bullet yet but it wasn’t through and through.
7D14E5DD-F1E8-40B2-BEF1-426565D2DF30.jpeg
 
Congrats and thanks for sharing!
 
Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.
 
Near as we could figure I got about 475-500 pounds of meat and bones. The ribs we cut into 3rds on each side for the smoker. My daughter wants to euro the skull and my buddy kept the hide as he’s having all his bison hides tanned so I can build him a great coat.
Fantastic! Bison is one of my favorite meats.
 
i find it hard to believe that the bullet didn't just bounce off!! (its only a 9.3 not a 375) :) congrats.
@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more
 
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six.

actually, it was great shot placement by @John Wasmuth that turned the trick, not the caliber. although, his 9.3 probably killed that cow "deader" than a 35 whelen would have. ;)
 
@dirthawker
You don't need a sledge hammer to crack walnuts. Heck on a cow that size could be handled with an ought six. The 9.3 was more of a good thing and did a great job. No tracking one shot who could ask for more
Someone told me your favorite Buff gun was a 243 with 70gr. Varmit Express. Doesn't that cause a lot of meat damage?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,018
Members
169,687
Latest member
WallaceBlo
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top